• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I contended Deangelo is the 3rd best RB on the team

Jeremy Igo

Two things. First, DWill has had a bunch of productive runs up the middle. Not every fuging play is a dud. He is probably still faster than Stewy. But, Stewy is a bigger back. Use them correctly, and they can still compliment each of pretty damm well.

Second. Rarely see CRA around. Throw out a bash DWill thread, and the dude is all over it. lol

not like him in a good way or bad?

There not in the mold of Stewart or Tolbert

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

You asked why we were drafting RBs in the mold of DWill. Those guys are nothing like DWill. It's not a good or bad thing.

Two things. First, DWill has had a bunch of productive runs up the middle. Not every fuging play is a dud. He is probably still faster than Stewy. But, Stewy is a bigger back. Use them correctly, and they can still compliment each of pretty damm well.

Second. Rarely see CRA around. Throw out a bash DWill thread, and the dude is all over it. lol

90% of his up the middle runs are duds now. This is reality. I'm with CRA on this one. We don't have the oline for dwills type of running on a consistent basis. I love dwill as a person and player but he's not a #1 for this type of team we have.

This isn't a hate fest for me. This is just what I've seen. Most people here who have been against dwill starting actually really like the dude.

The rb starting is going to have to shake off d lineman. It's the reality of our run blocking being what it is. Dwill in this stage of his career isn't cutting it. We need to design plays to take advantage of his abilities but those are not on standard running plays that we have now. Sorry

90% of his up the middle runs are duds now. This is reality. I'm with CRA on this one. We don't have the oline for dwills type of running on a consistent basis. I love dwill as a person and player but he's not a #1 for this type of team we have.

This isn't a hate fest for me. This is just what I've seen. Most people here who have been against dwill starting actually really like the dude.

The rb starting is going to have to shake off d lineman. It's the reality of our run blocking being what it is. Dwill in this stage of his career isn't cutting it. We need to design plays to take advantage of his abilities but those are not on standard running plays that we have now. Sorry

So, is there a rule against using miss-direction? Or running off tackle? Or even starting from under center instead of in the shot-gun? Play action can be a useful tool. Screen passes work well, when they actually use them.

Folks just zero in on the negative, and have tunnel vision with the positive. Heaven forbid a RB get stuffed. Folks love it when our D stuffs a RB, but hate it when it our RB that gets stuffed.

IF used correctly. DWill and Stewy can still compliment each other very well. But hellz, that won't fly here on the Huddle where negativity and hyperbole rule.

Another thing. Get Turner back, and those dive plays just might be effective. I can say might be. Most folks just say won't be. See the difference?

So, is there a rule against using miss-direction? Or running off tackle? Or even starting from under center instead of in the shot-gun? Play action can be a useful tool. Screen passes work well, when they actually use them.

Folks just zero in on the negative, and have tunnel vision with the positive. Heaven forbid a RB get stuffed. Folks love it when our D stuffs a RB, but hate it when it our RB that gets stuffed.

IF used correctly. DWill and Stewy can still compliment each other very well. But hellz, that won't fly here on the Huddle where negativity and hyperbole rule.

Another thing. Get Turner back, and those dive plays just might be effective. I can say might be. Most folks just say won't be. See the difference?

You bring up a really good question. Why do we not use more screen plays? I mean, sure, we use them, but not to a degree of other teams, and especially since our running game is suffering.

I caught a little flack from it from JJ and Sammi on the podcast for saying it.

Am I wrong?

Sent from Carolina Huddle App for Android.

stew > dwill

tolbert > dwill

both are more consistent at moving forward.

both are stronger.

both are better blockers.

both are more reliable in the pasing game.

both are better in short yardage /end zone situations.

tolbert is the most durable of the three and that makes him the most valuable of the three.

the biggest issue is fit. we have more of a power based run game. cam adds the finess, but our running attacks have tended to be more between the tackles stuff and less dancing. barner just didn't fit at all. dwill has/had some power, but that was never his forte like it is with stewart and tolbert.

The oline is what it is. Turner may help but he's just a rook . I'm hoping for the best.

We will see how this progresses as the season begins. This isn't being negative this is just reality. This is what we have on oline. Who gives is the best shot with this oline? Stew and Tolbert because of their running styles.

That odd ball Saints game at the end of the 2012 season made people forget how average Williams was that entire season....and why he was officially benched for 28 early on

that was against the worst defense in the league. don't get me wrong, 210 yards is definitely an accomplishment...but that one game inflated his overall performance for the season.

That was statistically the worst defense ever.

so there's your ultimate answer as to when was the last time D-Will killed it against somebody good, awhile ago

In the 6 years Stew and DWill have been together:

Stew has averaged 5 plus yards per carry 2 times.

Dwill has averaged 5 plus yards per carry 3 times.

Stewart has averaged just 3.7 yards per carry the last 2 years.

DWill has never averaged less than 4 plus yards per carry.

Tolbert by the way in 2 years in Carolina averages 3.5 yards per carry.

Big picture all thing being equal.

A lot of Tolberts duties here have been in short yardage and even goal to go situations where the defense KNOWS for a fact we are running the ball and stack accordingly.

He almost always falls forward and if he was given regular touches instead of "we know you are running it with Tolbert" plays his YPC would no doubt be higher. As a matter of fact his 3.5 YPC is very impressive considering when/where he gets the ball.

Two things. First, DWill has had a bunch of productive runs up the middle. Not every fuging play is a dud. He is probably still faster than Stewy. But, Stewy is a bigger back. Use them correctly, and they can still compliment each of pretty damm well.Second. Rarely see CRA around. Throw out a bash DWill thread, and the dude is all over it. lol

I'm always around in football season...

As for the Williams bashing, it isnt bashing. People just consistantly get butthurt about one of the most fan friendly and nicest players in our franchise history.

One day Luke Kuechly won't be the best option at LB. It happens to everyone. Plus, like I have always said, scheme has been the biggest issue for Williams since Fox left.

I think CRA has clouded a lot of posters judgements about the rb situation. He is to the point too much instead of giving dwill his proper due.

Dwill still has it, but only in certain scenarios or plays.

Stew gives us the best chance this year if he remains healthy and I stand by that conviction. Just because of his style that meshes with our oline.

Ryan kalil said as much

A lot of Tolberts duties here have been in short yardage and even goal to go situations where the defense KNOWS for a fact we are running the ball and stack accordingly.

He almost always falls forward and if he was given regular touches instead of "we know you are running it with Tolbert" plays his YPC would no doubt be higher. As a matter of fact his 3.5 YPC is very impressive considering when/where he gets the ball.

No doubt that figures in, the year he took over for an injured RB in San Diego and the year after that he had 300 plus carries averaging 4.0 YPC, so sightly better.

Archived