• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera on Cam: "He's got to develop as a passer."

gettlemanjack

i wish he wouldnt say stupid crap like this. it's just more fodder for espn to notake out of context and blow up.

I agree with you. No matter what context Rivera puts it in, retard supplier ESPN processes stuff by removing context.

On the flip side, Rivera would get criticized either way. We got on Fox because he didn't say enough.

If you watched the KC game you know exactly what Ron is talking about. There were 2, maybe 3 occasions when Cam had the option of passing before the rush arrived. Instead he started scrambling.

Scrambling because it's the best option is perfectly fine. Passing up open receivers is not.

Yep your right, I seen Big B open when Cam started scrambling.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

My only gripe with Rivera is that you say this(and no, i don't have a problem with his comment) but still constantly call run plays for Cam. Maybe if you leave the main running assignments to our running backs instead of Cam he could develop quicker. Its also very telling that Cam only was able to soley focus on running since he got hurt.

Would Rivera had done this otherwise? Mobile are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

You run quite a bit, people complain that you don't pass enough and aren't developing into a pocket passer. That you're too limited.You stop running and people say you're limiting yourself. Taking away your best weapon. And they don't want to live with the natural growing pains either. Its further made complicated when the offense is lacking in protection and/or weapons.

Rivera is right, but that means building the offense that will allow Cam to be an elite passer who can scramble, not a good passer who's also a top running back...

I remember this article.

The OP's quoted title gave the complete wrong impression of the article. That quote was actually an after thought.

Rivera was in no means stating that Cam needed to develop as a passer. He was more so stating, what the injury had done, could do. Here's the title and opening statements of the article.

Rivera: Surgery made Newton better QB
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera says the ankle surgery that sidelined Cam Newton for most of the offseason has made him a better quarterback.

"In an interesting way, this might have been the best thing to happen to him in terms of his pure quarterbacking development," Rivera said following Thursday's practice. "He's had to stay in the pocket. He's had to have good footwork. He's had to step into his throws."

Look at that title, and read what Rivera said to start the article? The Op's way off base here.

Rivera had already stated that the injury had made Cam a better QB, and the OP glossed that over to give (in their opinion) what would be a more controversial statement--to Huddler's and fans--on what Cam needs to improve on.

When the Rivera made the statement the OP provided, Ron Ron mentioned this was something Cam was in agreement with, generally speaking (as you always want to get better as QB). Here's the quote:

"Michael Jordan used to go to the hole all the time and dunk, make spectacular layups and stuff like that," Rivera said. "But if you ask Michael, he learned that later in his career he had to develop that jumper. So he went to work at it.

"Cam's the same way. He knows he's got to develop as a passer."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=carolina-panthers&i=TWT&id=8161&w=1ebiy&wjb

As you can see, that statement was taken completely out of context by the OP. Rivera was actually quoting, what he thought Cam thinks. SMH.  I read the articles myself, and never thought much about either one of them. I looked at both as fluff, filler article that obviously someone had to write as Rivera gave his presser answering questions about Cam. Makes sense.

However, if ESPN, etc., see's it done here on a Panther fan website, then don't cry later when "The National Media" take Rivera's comments out of context, and run all day with negative stories.

The Huddle/Panther fans! SMH

Rivera smh. How can you disrespect our QB and give him no fuging line to be a pocket passer with. You better hope we have a winning season this year. Stop talking to the media you idiot.

great idea man, they should have thought of that.

poo, wait, there's that thing called a salary cap. oh and signing the secondary, which left. oh and receivers, which left. oh and Cam's contract. and Kuechly's. and Hardy's(maybe).

if it were up to you, we would have a washing machine playing left guard.

Archived