• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera on Cam: "He's got to develop as a passer."

gettlemanjack

Rivera used Michael Jordan as an example:

"Michael Jordan used to go to the hole all the time and dunk, make spectacular layups and stuff like that," Rivera said. "But if you ask Michael, he learned that later in his career he had to develop that jumper. So he went to work at it.

"Cam's the same way. He knows he's got to develop as a passer."

"In an interesting way, (Cam's ankle surgery) might have been the best thing to happen to him in terms of his pure quarterbacking development," Rivera said following Thursday's practice. “If you watch what he’s done this year compared to what he’s done the first couple of years, he’s been in the pocket,” Rivera said. “He’s had to go through his progressions, had to go through his reads.

“He’s had to stay in the pocket, had to have good footwork, had to step into his throws. I think this has been a plus for him.”

David Newton adds:

"In other words, Newton has had to rely on his arm and the mental aspects of his game more so than his legs...That is key, because there will come a time when Newton no longer can depend on his scrambling"

Charlotte Observer:

"Throughout training camp – when Newton was finally able to practice in team drills – Newton would occasionally finish a play grimacing after having stepped on a teammate’s foot or planted incorrectly.

Newton admits there’s still pain in the ankle, but Rivera thinks Newton was one play away Sunday from learning he’s back to 100 percent.

With 8:30 left in the first half against the Chiefs, Newton scrambled to his right to avoid linebacker Joe Mays. Unable to find an open receiver and unwilling to throw it away, Newton ran back toward the middle of the field where he met Mays again, this time for a sack.

“I’ll be honest with you, when he was scrambling around the other day, if he had tucked it and ran, then to me in his mind he was ready 100 percent,” Rivera said. “When he all of a sudden cuts it loose and completely lets it go, then I believe he believes. And that’ll be enough to convince me.”

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=carolina-panthers&i=TWT&id=8161&w=1ebiy&wjb

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/08/21/5120286/carolina-panthers-coach-ron-rivera.html#

He does need to develop as a pocket passer and this injury has help push him further that way. I don't think anything Rivera said was untrue and it's good to work on a weakness. If he becomes better in that area which I fully expect. Newton will be able to do both efficiently and frighten defenses even more.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Rivera smh. How can you disrespect our QB and give him no fuging line to be a pocket passer with. You better hope we have a winning season this year. Stop talking to the media you idiot. 

I don't have words...

meh, let ESPN blow it up. Just more crow for them to eat when we prove it on the field. And I don't think it's RR disrespecting Cam at all. Disrespect would be to say nothing or only fluff comments about Cam. He's a grown ass man. Let him use it as fuel to continue to improve. 

Archived