• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Possible DE Trade?

Jeremy Igo

I understand that, but we're one knee injury away to Bell or Chandler from a real disaster.  

if we can get a player that will come in and contribute on our line then i would be ok with that.  I dont want to just give away a rotational player on out D line for a what if.

There's no need to trade. Too much trading will hurt team morale. Keep what is here now and develop them. Also, Rivera probably said nice things about Alexander to lift not only his spirits but Hardy's as well. Mistakes happen but when you continue to show up and work hard that says a lot about a persons character. And I'm not saying what Hardy did is a mistake. I'm not going to comment either way about that.

Wes Horton isn't a good enough player that he couldn't be cut

That's exactly the point of this thread.  Horton is an NFL caliber player, but he may be the odd man out given our roster. That's the type of player that gets traded this time of year.

I doubt it happens, but if we're speculating about trades, DE is probably the first place to look.

There's no need to trade. Too much trading will hurt team morale. Keep what is here now and develop them. Also, Rivera probably said nice things about Alexander to lift not only his spirits but Hardy's as well. Mistakes happen but when you continue to show up and work hard that says a lot about a persons character. And I'm not saying what Hardy did is a mistake. I'm not going to comment either way about that.

Players understand it's a business.

Here's DeAngelo's most recent FB post with the caption "Kenjon's like "aw man i wanna celebrate too :( lol"

10556401_1539463619608761_77985363805928

That's exactly the point of this thread.  Horton is an NFL caliber player, but he may be the odd man out given our roster. That's the type of player that gets traded this time of year.

I doubt it happens, but if we're speculating about trades, DE is probably the first place to look.

But that's my point. He won't be traded. We have 5 DEs that teams would possibly want to trade for and we'll keep all of them.

Hardy isn't tradeable.

Big salary, last year on contract, pending domestic abuse court case.... Not worth the risk to other teams I don't think.

I think he is tradeable.  Teams will look past the domestic abuse for a top tier, pass rushing DE entering the prime of his career.  It's his first offense and the appeal probably wont be heard until end of the year, or later.  Alexander and Horton don't have much trade value because neither has seen much of the field.  However, they could be very valuable to us if they prove to be capable DEs with low cap hits.  I really don't see the Panthers keeping both Hardy and CJ beyond this year, it's too much $$ when they have other big contracts pending.

If we do make a trade, I see Hardy's agent coming to terms on a long term agreement with the new team before the trade is completed.  Once the trade is made, the new deal gets inked.  Question is ... do we get draft picks or immediate help.  Both would be nice. 

I could see us shopping Horton or maybe we just want to determine if he's worth keeping. We could have 6 DEs or trade/cut Alexander. If we do trade then what kind of player will we get? Probably not a starter unless we add a draft pick or another player. We could also be looking for a safety, CB, punt returner as well.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

If a team needs a DE, wes is more than worth a 7th rounder, maybe even(in extremes) a 5 th. Wes has proven he can play in the nfl and he's got two more @ the league min. Wes made the best DL( or rams) in the league as a undrafted FA, that states what type of player he is.

Some here seem to forget that trading for a draft pick not only grants us a future player but also frees up cap space and a roster spot for us to SIGN someone after cuts. Thats a double win (i.e. Kenjon Barner). So in theory we are trading that player for a pick and whoever we can sign to the roster, not a bad deal for someone like Horton or Alexander.

Archived