• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Blessing?????

AKPantherFan

you got to fall down to get back up...

Adversity builds strength... Dont be so shallow :prrr:

A rare, but not unexpected, trifecta of meaningless vapidity that only makes sense to you and a few coke-addled multi-level marketers at a Tony Robbins seminar.

Meanwhile not even on Planet Yippee!!! does losing your best player to injury count in anyone's book as a blessing.

A rare, but not unexpected, trifecta of meaningless vapidity that only makes sense to you and a few coke-addled multi-level marketers at a Tony Robbins seminar.

Meanwhile not even on Planet Yippee!!! does losing your best player to injury count in anyone's book as a blessing.

I disagree. This injury will keep him out of the preseason, either directly, or even if he could come back, the coaches would hold him out after just avoiding one near disaster.

No play in the preseason means there is exactly zero possibility of having a season-ending injury in a pointless preseason game. In my book that's a blessing.

Ken Lucas got his nose broken last year, and many thought that was a blessing in disguise, as the team was able to rally around it.

Don't know that I buy it, but I can certainly see AK's point in this case. It's just preseason, and we all know Smith comes to play. It will probably only motivate him more.

The team certainly has some decisions to make regarding which receivers to keep, so hopefully this will allow someone to really make his case.

i see the AK's point as well. i also remember how last year with out Steve it forced Jake to look to other people to complete a pass. i felt like he was spreading the ball around nicely at that time and i think it might be good to get him warmed up to his other options some before the season starts. as long as he is fine for games and it doesn't have any lingering affects. then it might be help full in the end.

It's never a blessing when your star player gets hurt.

It may, however, give one of these bench sitters a chance to grow up and be a contributor to the team. Both Smitty and Moose had issues early on in their careers. And both of them transformed, grew up and became men who worked at football rather than played it.

Both Smitty and Moose compete with passion and strength -- they fight for the ball, they fight for their routes, they layout defenders when they get the chance to throw a block. They bring character and competitiveness to the field every single day. They play to win -- not just the game but to win each play against whoever is defending against them.

But the current benchwarmers, they just aren't showing that strength in themselves and their game. Everyone talks about an emerging third receiver, but none of these fellows have the guts or skills of Ricky Proehl. Heck, they aren't even up to Keary Colbert's level.

This may sound weird, but one or more of these eternal project receivers needs to sit down with Jon Kasay and get right about themselves. (I can't believe that a kicker is the "go to guy" for character, but he seems to have a gift for helping teammates.)

These guys need to find some steel for their spines, some juice for their drive and the will to win. Otherwise we're going to be talking again next year about how this is Jarrett's last chance, or Robinson's break out year or yadda yadda yadda.

It's never a blessing when your star player gets hurt.

It may, however, give one of these bench sitters a chance to grow up and be a contributor to the team. Both Smitty and Moose had issues early on in their careers. And both of them transformed, grew up and became men who worked at football rather than played it.

Both Smitty and Moose compete with passion and strength -- they fight for the ball, they fight for their routes, they layout defenders when they get the chance to throw a block. They bring character and competitiveness to the field every single day. They play to win -- not just the game but to win each play against whoever is defending against them.

But the current benchwarmers, they just aren't showing that strength in themselves and their game. Everyone talks about an emerging third receiver, but none of these fellows have the guts or skills of Ricky Proehl. Heck, they aren't even up to Keary Colbert's level.

This may sound weird, but one or more of these eternal project receivers needs to sit down with Jon Kasay and get right about themselves. (I can't believe that a kicker is the "go to guy" for character, but he seems to have a gift for helping teammates.)

These guys need to find some steel for their spines, some juice for their drive and the will to win. Otherwise we're going to be talking again next year about how this is Jarrett's last chance, or Robinson's break out year or yadda yadda yadda.

I actually think we have good depth at the receiver position. Until they are thrown into game situations, we'll never really know if they can be capable receivers in the league. It seems Jarrett will be a fine third receiver, and I think probably any of the guys competing for the fourth or fifth spot will probably be able to handle the position. We say it over and over on this board, but the third receiver (Jarrett) just doesn't get many targets in this offense. Of course, the fourth and fifth receivers will get even less.

So yes, we do need other options, but I think it's unfair to presume these guys don't have any drive just because they're not beating Moose or Smith out on the depth chart. For that matter, I think there are several guys -- Jarrett, Robinson and Goodson -- that could be better options than Colbert, who I don't think would have been our No. 2 or No. 3 guy if he were competing against some of our current receivers. But again, we won't know until their mettle is truly tested.

It's funny you should mention Proehl, and guys turning to character guys like Kasay to better themselves. Kenny Moore spent the summer working out with Ricky Proehl, who was impressed with his work ethic.

I can see AK's point as well. If there is anybody on this team that can go without practice for a while and still not miss a beat when the season starts, it's Steve Smith.

As long as this is not an injury that will keep Smitty from any real games, he will be fine.

Archived