• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philly Brown Isn't Satisfied

Jeremy Igo

I recently spoke to Philly Brown about his thoughts on Sunday night's performance against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I'm not satisfied" Brown said. "I know I'll come back this week and just get better."

Philly's performance was mostly positive, he only wishes he had more room to prove his punt return skills.

"I didn't get much opportunity" he said about his two fair catches. "At the end of the day you just have to make the best decision for the team. At that time the best decision was to keep the field position and not force anything."

Brown did have one dropped punt, bobbling it for a split moment before quickly grabbing it again off the turf.

"That was my fault. I kind of got out of my technique and more into the moment." Philly remarked. "I took my eyes off the punt to look down at the blockers, and then looked up at the last minute."

But Philly remained calm and quickly corrected his mistake, a task former players in his position had difficulty with. Often times a dropped punt is made worse by nervous hands trying to recover, giving the kicking team time to intervene. "I'm not one to panic. I feel like when you panic, that is when the mistakes happen" Philly added.

After the coaching staff saw Philly was not getting much of a chance to run on punt returns, they gave him a shot on kickoffs. Philly answered the call with an impressive 37 yard kick return.

"They plugged me in on kick returns and I did a decent job." Brown humbly remarked.

Panthers-Chiefs-28.jpg

Philly Brown has been steadily rising in the ranks of the Panthers wide receiver depth chart. Many projections have him making the regular roster as an undrafted free agent, no small task in itself. Brown has not been intimidated by the tough competition he faces in the pro ranks.

"That just comes from playing with a chip on your shoulder." Brown said. "Being undrafted, all that did was just add another chip to my shoulder. Whether I was a first round pick or undrafted, I think I would have come in with the same mentality."

"Right now I'm trying to prove that I do belong here." he added.

Veteran wide receivers Jerricho Cotchery and Jason Avant have played an instrumental role in Philly's development. "I've been taking some stuff from Jericho and Jason, and just adding it to my game." Brown said. Cotchery and Avant are already proving to be a positive mentoring presence on the field, something the Panthers have missed for many seasons. 

"I'm encouraged, but I'm not done yet" Philly reminded me. 

And what if there is some room to run this Friday on a punt return?

"I'm taking it to the house."

His best chance to make the team will be the week 4 game if he's still on the team that is. Aug 26 is going to be D-day for some rookies.

So many people on this site refuse to see cause and effect.  We had a WR who was not a great teammate and no other receiver could flourish.  Now we have mentors and all you continue to hear is the camaraderie/relationship building that it takes for young in-experienced guys to grow.  Because of this change, our WRs will begin to develop better over the years.

So many people on this site refuse to see cause and effect.  We had a WR who was not a great teammate and no other receiver could flourish.  Now we have mentors and all you continue to hear is the camaraderie/relationship building that it takes for young in-experienced guys to grow.  Because of this change, our WRs will begin to develop better over the years.

Good point.

You also needed a GM like Gettleman, who could realize the situation and clean house of all the crappy receivers and Steve Smith.

Many fans, have been killing the Panther WR's for years (while others were blaming Cam for their faults), along with SS's bullying/selfishness, and I'm glad GMan realized the situation here and jettisoned all of them.

Good point.

You also needed a GM like Gettleman, who could realize the situation and clean house of all the crappy receivers and Steve Smith.

Many fans, have been killing the Panther WR's for years (while others were blaming Cam for their faults), along SS's bullying, and I'm glad GMan realized the situation here and jettisoned all of them.

The other surprise has been Lafell's badmouthing of our practice set-up and team structure.  I mean WRs all around the league used to come to Proehl's complex to work with him.  To me it was more than one bad apple with a bad attitude.  Who knows how toxic that situation had become?  Tough decisions had to be made and I'm glad we finally have one of those GMs now.

Archived