• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harper is starting to get that IR smell...

Jeremy Igo

Harper still is one of my favorite players, a real class act. That said, Ryan was able to get the best out of almost every player on defense last year and Harper was still below average, although better than 87th out of 89 graded safeties the year before. Most of the a Saints fans were pretty sure Vilma and Harper were done in NFL or may be picked up as a backup, so it was kinda surprising for a team with such a good defense to pick him up to start. Turf toe is a nagging injury and Ingram battled it an entire season. Even when he was able to play on it, he wasn't close to the same RB, it really affected his play. Still I hope Harper gets a chance to play, guys a hard worker and deserves it.

And how much field does a safety need to cover in a goal line situation compared to midfield.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Well as a strong safety you play closer to the line anyway. Free Safety is usually the person in midfield. Godfrey can play either safety, yes he's better at free than strong and for that case he's better at free than any other spot.

Oh and a side note that 30 yard catch that the Bills had on Godfrey, wasn't Godfrey fault and if you played in the secondary you would know that it was Cason's fault for not communicating presnap to watch the switch, or what we use to call scissors. If this was effectively played out Godfrey would have took the inside route while Cason would take the outside route receiver which would have eliminated that wheel route. This is what happen last year when Norman didn't take the outside route on that game winning touchdown last year against the Bills.

That lame sh*t is brought up too much.  Hokie and only a Hokie right here.  

Sorry, when I see a person bring up a late round pick from UNC that can't find the field as a potential starter for the bazillionth time in the history of this message board, there's a little voice in my head that screams "UNC homer!"

I didn't like the Harper signing at first, but it was grown on me.        '12 he was part of one of the worst defenses in nfl history,  and in '13,  while he still sucked, maybe Rob Ryan didn't know how to best utilize him?

Harper will play the role of the savvy vet and of someone that lays a hard thump on an opposing player every now and then,  making the fans stand up and go crazy,  and when he is on the sideline,  he will be helping whatever younger players that may want his help or have questions.                I believe that Rivera and company saw something in Harper that they truly feel they can utilize to help our defense.       I trust Rivera when it comes to the defense. 

I trust Rivera with our defense as much as the Saints fans trust Payton with their offense.

Harper will have something to prove.   He has had two horrible years in a row and the team he earned his SB ring with,  cut him.    Everyone is calling him a scrub....  no player that is only 31,  wants to end his career on that note.

Sorry, when I see a person bring up a late round pick from UNC that can't find the field as a potential starter for the bazillionth time in the history of this message board, there's a little voice in my head that screams "UNC homer!"

fair point haha

I was under the impression that because Harper did take part in a training camp practice, he does not qualify for pup. Harper was injured during a practice, so obviously he was participating.

pup is for those players who were unable to take part in training camp and preseason at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_Unable_to_Perform

Preseason PUP

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-Season PUP

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

I'm talking regular season PUP, not preseason.

That is only .5 less to keep Ginn returning punts... My prophecy is unfortunately coming true...our return game is going to kill us.

Pay Ginn 3 mil a year to return punts? C'mon now, Devin Hester gets 3 mil/yr to do punts and kicks and he's the GOAT(arguably).

Paying Ginn 3 mil a year to return punts is some Hurney type poo there.

Pay Ginn 3 mil a year to return punts? C'mon now, Devin Hester gets 3 mil/yr to do punts and kicks and he's the GOAT(arguably).

Paying Ginn 3 mil a year to return punts is some Hurney type poo there.

Teams with consistently good offenses don't have to fret about returns.

Archived