• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harper is starting to get that IR smell...

Jeremy Igo

Have no issue with Roman Harper....he's a nice person.  It's unfortunate for him.  That said....I thought Quentin Mikell did a nice job for us late last season.  If we want a vet he would make sense.  He already knows the system.

Aside from the fact he is injured and as good as retired?

Name  someone who fits that mold. Just because it worked with Mitchell doesn't mean that there is always a guy available like that all the time that ends up working out. There are 31 other teams constantly trying to do the same thing. 

I probably would have drafted someone who fits that mold.

Sure.  The Panthers could get another inexperienced guy who would cost them games.  They took a flyer on a vet who knows how to play.  With the young guys up front, he really is a good fit.  Of course his health is the biggest issue.

Going younger might cost us games, but not necessarily.

Not sure now that they could bring him off ir to play.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

PUP essentially allows them to put off the IR decision, give him six weeks to heal and sign a filler for depth.

There's also the new 'IR designated for return' designation but I'd say PUP is more likely.

As far as Boston is concern, he doesn't fit the mold for what I would want at FS, but especially not at SS. And he's certainly not going to play SS for us. He could almost play CB, and not going to be a great tackler of big RB, or a big hitter. He's a coverage guy.

PUP essentially allows them to put off the IR decision, give him six weeks to heal and sign a filler for depth.

There's also the new 'IR designated for return' designation but I'd say PUP is more likely.

I was under the impression that because Harper did take part in a training camp practice, he does not qualify for pup. Harper was injured during a practice, so obviously he was participating.

pup is for those players who were unable to take part in training camp and preseason at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_Unable_to_Perform

Preseason PUP

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-Season PUP

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

These safety positions are starting to interest me the most this season especially if Boston avoids missing reg-season time.  He's a flex-type who could possibly play back there WITH DeCoud.  Keeps us speedier and we can work Lester in.    

A 4th round rookie who didn't play a single snap in training camp.

I'd say that is probably not possible.

We just had an undrafted rookie play decent in our defense last season.  It's a stretch on my part but not a big one if he catches on.  He's a ballhawk type and we want turnovers.  

Archived