• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton: KB is camp MVP, solidifies #1 WR spot

gettlemanjack

I'm officially over Brandin Cooks. I've gotten through the heartbreak and can see that this really is the best thing for me, umm, us. Kelvin is special and he and Cam have such a connection off the field , that it can only enhance their relationship on the field. So happy to have him here !

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I think Cooks will be very good, but Kelvin fits us better. And we didn't have to trade up to get him.

I've quietly moved from expecting a 600-700 yard season from him and expecting a Kenan Allen Rookie type season from him.

It wouldn't be impossible, but I would say unlikely.  I think if he starts making that big of an impact, defenses will start rolling coverage his way.  If that happens, his production will likely slow down.  IMO, the outcome of what you thought before, and what you think now, is determined by how well he adjusts to the extra coverage.  With him being a rookie, he may not adjust well right away, which happens to a ton of rookies.  On the flip side, he seems to have insane work ethic, so it may not affect him at all.

I will say that I've changed my outlook since he's been here also.  My expectations were around 400-500 yards and 10ish TD's(He's nick named "red zone" for a reason).  With what he's shown since being here, I'm now thinking around 800 yards, but less TD's.  Less TD's because we now have so many red zone threats with KB, Olsen, Dickson, B. Williams, and even Cotchery(he wasn't a slouch by any means last season).  Then you have to factor in the backfield of Newton, and putting Brockel in as a lead back for Tolbert.  

I've quietly moved from expecting a 600-700 yard season from him and expecting a Kenan Allen Rookie type season from him.

Fug that. He's putting a 1,000 and at least 6 TD's. Cam's going to make his ass look good. 

The best thing that could have happened for KB was to not be held back behind SS.

I think Smith would have welcomed KB's help.

Our offense could be nasty if we still had Smith.

I'm officially over Brandin Cooks. I've gotten through the heartbreak and can see that this really is the best thing for me, umm, us. Kelvin is special and he and Cam have such a connection off the field , that it can only enhance their relationship on the field. So happy to have him here !

Cooks would be nice but KB is a better match with Cam.

With Cooks we would potentially be replacing Smith with a younger version of himself(no telling if he'd be as good). But even then we could still have redzone problems.

With Cam and KB's catch radius they are going make it rain within the 20's. No doubt in my mind. And if they double him then Olsen, or B. Williams is going to catch the damn ball.

In all honest, a lot of guys will come through the cam do what Cooks does. There will not be a lot of guys that will come through that have the skill set Benjamin has.

To name one receiver I saw in the first week that is very similar to Cooks in size, speed, and skill set that ended up with a similar stat line; Andrew Peacock, Detroit Lions, UDFA App State. Dri archer, Pittsburgh Steelers.

In all honest, a lot of guys will come through the cam do what Cooks does. There will not be a lot of guys that will come through that have the skill set Benjamin has.

To name one receiver I saw in the first week that is very similar to Cooks in size, speed, and skill set that ended up with a similar stat line; Andrew Peacock, Detroit Lions, UDFA App State. Dri archer, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Cooks skill set is wayyy more than just speed and elusiveness.

I just hope they don't give KB the Smith treatment for the "next 10 years" and find a second WR to go along with him. Teams are going to be doubling KB this season, I just hope it doesn't hurt his development.

But I saw that RR quote the other day and It's sure exciting to think about. Cam and KB for the next 10 years sure would be a solid base for an O

I think that is where Bersin, Brown, and King come into play. I think this year is a transition year for the WRs with Cotchery and Avant being in a mentor role to help develop these young guys. I fully expect next year will be a "changing of the guard" type deal where it will be KB, King, Bersin, and/or Brown taking over in some arrangement.

We will see how it plays out.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Fug that. He's putting a 1,000 and at least 6 TD's. Cam's going to make his ass look good.

I think Smith would have welcomed KB's help.

Our offense could be nasty if we still had Smith.

I feel like our offense would have been perceived by analysts as better but I believe we have a better overall good this year at WR. Smith would have been nice but really only for clutch catches to keep drives alive. Not a premier game breaking WR he once was.

I think that is where Bersin, Brown, and King come into play. I think this year is a transition year for the WRs with Cotchery and Avant being in a mentor role to help develop these young guys. I fully expect next year will be a "changing of the guard" type deal where it will be KB, King, Bersin, and/or Brown taking over in some arrangement.

We will see how it plays out.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a mid tier WR next offseason or spending a 2nd or 3rd pick on one to keep the arsenal stocked because we all know cotchery and avant won't be here very long

Cooks would be nice but KB is a better match with Cam.

With Cooks we would potentially be replacing Smith with a younger version of himself(no telling if he'd be as good). But even then we could still have redzone problems.

With Cam and KB's catch radius they are going make it rain within the 20's. No doubt in my mind. And if they double him then Olsen, or B. Williams is going to catch the damn ball.

Agreed. He was my dude from before the draft, but I now see that it was best he didn't end up here. Live and learn, you know?

Archived