• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton: KB is camp MVP, solidifies #1 WR spot

gettlemanjack

"With apologies to coach Ron Rivera, who said defensive end Frank Alexander was the star of camp, (in my opinion,) it has been the 6-foot-5, 240-pound phenom from Florida State.

Outside of who would start at left tackle,...who would replace the franchise's all-time leading receiver, Steve Smith, was the biggest question entering camp.

It's not a question leaving camp.

Benjamin made Smith, not here for the first time since 2001, an afterthought.

Benjamin still has areas he needs to improve, however.

"We saw him do the things we needed him to do, but it's not just about going out and making great catches," Rivera said "It's about knowing the offense. ... And there's some things that if teams are doubling you, or teams are rolling to you, they're trying to take you out.

"And if you're not doing things within what we're trying to do, that can hurt us.

"So he's young. He's got a lot to learn."

"There's a lot of things that play into it," Rivera said. "But hopefully, barring something crazy, those two guys (Cam and KB) play together 10 years here in Charlotte and for the Panthers and make a big mark."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nfcsouth&id=56278&wjb

I just hope they don't give KB the Smith treatment for the "next 10 years" and find a second WR to go along with him. Teams are going to be doubling KB this season, I just hope it doesn't hurt his development.

But I saw that RR quote the other day and It's sure exciting to think about. Cam and KB for the next 10 years sure would be a solid base for an O

<p>http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/7896/camp-confidential-carolina-panthersDavid Newton quote on JStew

• Running back Jonathan Stewart has spent so much time on the stationary bike rehabbing injuries the past three training camps that some are wondering whether he's training for the Tour de France.

-"First-round draft pick Kelvin Benjamin has emerged as a legitimate No. 1.... Benjamin has made more spectacular catches in his first few weeks of camp than arguably any receiver in Carolina history."

-"Don't sleep on the Panthers," Pro Bowl fullback Mike Tolbert said.

I've quietly moved from expecting a 600-700 yard season from him and expecting a Kenan Allen Rookie type season from him.

This is preseason hype. It's easy to feel that way but give this guy time to grow. I wanna feel that way too but it's wayyyy to early. Need to see more of him and cam. I'd temper expectations but still be excited about the possibilities

I'm officially over Brandin Cooks. I've gotten through the heartbreak and can see that this really is the best thing for me, umm, us. Kelvin is special and he and Cam have such a connection off the field , that it can only enhance their relationship on the field. So happy to have him here !

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived