• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Joe Webb and 3 QBs

Jeremy Igo

Joe Webb joined the Carolina Panthers in March of 2014, presumably as a stand in for Cam Newton. While Newton recovered from surgery, Webb could run the same plays in OTA's and training camp. Webb is every bit as elusive as Cam in the pocket and can also run the read option.

Unfortunately, the comparisons end there. Webb has struggled greatly throwing the ball, especially in camp when facing the Panthers first and second string defense.

Panthers-Bills-33.jpg

There has been much talk in the media about Joe Webb being kept on as a third quarterback. It is not uncommon for the Panthers to keep three quarterbacks, although David Gettleman ended that trend last season with the release of Jimmy Clausen. Clausen is now looking like the second string QB for the Chicago Bears.

For comparison sake, Jimmy Clausen, even though he was released, performed better last year in training camp and the 2013 preseason for the Panthers than Joe Webb has in 2014.

This media chatter stems from David Gettleman not committing publicly to a two quarterback roster. Smart on Gettleman's part, because stating only two quarterbacks will be kept has zero upside. The only thing it would do is demoralize the two quarterbacks on the roster not named Newton or Anderson.

It is a given than Newton and Anderson are on the team. Any mention of only having two quarterbacks is essentially telling Joe Webb to pack his bags. With three preseason games left to play, that would be anti-productive. Keeping Webb hungry is in the best interest of the Panthers, who want to get a close look at all of their young receivers. It is also in Webb's best interest, as he is auditioning for other NFL and CFL teams.

This year the Panthers have a good number of young players with high upside on the cusp of making the roster. Philly Brown, Marcus Lucas, Darrin Reaves to name a few. Keeping a third quarterback, who would remain on the inactive list for the vast majority of the games if not all of them, will lessen the Panthers chances of developing a young player in a position of real need.

In short, I am not buying into the three quarterback talk. When all is said and done, I feel there will be two quarterbacks on the roster.

said this in another thread but will throw it out here

Webb will be on another teams roster by the beginning of the season imo.

Related question - does he have any trade value if he does well in the final preseason games ?  maybe Webb and an undetermined late round pick for a OT ?

Related question - does he have any trade value if he does well in the final preseason games ?  maybe Webb and an undetermined late round pick for a OT ?

Doubtful. He wasn't exactly a highly sought after free agent in March. Also, I am sure other GM's in the league will call Gettleman's bluff, they know he will be released.

I would wager he won't be on a NFL active roster this season.

Agreed. I believe the only reason he would make the team, slim as it is, would be to start using him in wildcat formations. Which obviously Clausen didn't really have that going for him. However, with Gett's philosophy, no way he keeps a third QB when there are players that can contribute in a rotation or on STs. Just dont see it.

I agree that they will keep 2 QB's. The question is starting to become how many RB's do they keep. IF Stewart is actually healthy do they keep only 3? DWill, Stewart, Tolbert (with the obligatory Brockel at h-back) would be more than enough. They can try and stash someone on the PS when needed.

I agree that they will keep 2 QB's. The question is starting to become how many RB's do they keep. IF Stewart is actually healthy do they keep only 3? DWill, Stewart, Tolbert (with the obligatory Brockel at h-back) would be more than enough. They can try and stash someone on the PS when needed.

Tolbert lines up at FB in may packages. That would only leave Stewart and Williams behind him. Considering the history of injuries for Stewart, I can't see that happening.

I believe its between Barner and Reaves for that 4th spot RB. My money is on Reaves (assuming his leg injury is not serious)

Tolbert lines up at FB in may packages. That would only leave Stewart and Williams behind him. Considering the history of injuries for Stewart, I can't see that happening.

I believe its between Barner and Reaves for that 4th spot RB. My money is on Reaves (assuming his leg injury is not serious)

It depends on Stewart's health. They can stash Reaves on the PS and IR Barner. That would allow for maximum roster flexibility. Reaves can be promoted as soon as the inevitable injuries occur. Are they leaving 2 backs in when they switch to 2 TE?

Archived