• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN Insider ranks Panthers OL the worst in the NFL

gettlemanjack

Apparently they rank our DL and DE poorly as well

@macwfnz: @pff ranks our Edge Rushers 7th and our Interior D-Line 19th. Are you kidding me?

Sent from my iPhizzle while pooping using CarolinaHizzle

Hahahaha. What asshats.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

From everything I read he looked like poo in that first preseason game.  Granted, it's preseason.  

Yes, it is preseason.  Still a great sign.  Several other top 6 pick sure thing OT's such as Matt Kalil, Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson, et al in the last couple years have ranged from disappointing, injured, drug users (Johnson) or all of the above.  If Matthews doesn't live up to all of his billing and more then the dirty birds are in a world of hurt bigger than even thought imaginable.  This after their 2nd round pick hurts his hand punching a teammate.  I love it! 

Well, the Seahawks supposedly had the #32 ranked OL last year. As long as we win the Lombardi, works for me.

PFF rated Seattle's 2013 OL:

#23 run blocking

#25 pass blocking

#27 overall

#30 in penalties

last was the Cardinals (#32 overall, #32 pass blocking, #27 run blocking) and they went 10-6 last year, only losing two games at home: 49ers (L 20-23) and Seahawks (L 22-34) and losing 4 times on the road, twice by only 3 points: @49ers (L 20-32), @Saints (L 7-31), @Eagles (L 21-24), @Rams (L 24-27)

Cards D was #6/7 in the NFL last year in yds/pts allowed, #6 in turnovers forced, #5 in most INTs, #6 in total sacks, #1 in least rushing yds allowed, #2 in least rushing ypc allowed, #3 in least rushing TDs allowed

34 yr old Carson Palmer was sacked 41 times and threw 22 INTs (3rd most in NFL)

24 yr old WR Michael Floyd (6-3/220) caught for 1,041 yds

30 yr old Fitzgerald (6-3/225) caught for 954 yards

24 yr old RB Andre Ellington (5-10/199) had 1,023 yds from scrimmage (652 rushing/371 receiving)

26 yr old RB Rashard Mendenhall (5-11/210) had 821 yds from scrimmage (687 rushing/134 receiving)

The OLs PFF rated worst than the Seahawks in pass blocking last year were:

#26 Titans (#20 team QB rating)

#27 Texans (#27 team QB rating)

#28 Colts (#16 team QB rating)

#29 Bears (#6 team QB rating)

#30 Falcons (#11 team QB rating)

#31 Giants (#31 team QB rating)

#32 Cards (#19 team QB rating)

The OLs PFF rated worst than the Seahawks in run blocking last year were:

#24 Ravens (#32 team rushing ypc)

#25 Bucs (#25 team rushing ypc)

#26 Falcons (#24 team rushing ypc)

#27 Cards (#27 team rushing ypc)

#28 Dolphins (#24* team rushing ypc)

#29 Bills (#14^ team rushing ypc)

#30 Jets (#14*^ team rushing ypc)

#31 Raiders (#21* team rushing ypc)

#32 Jags (#31 team rushing ypc)

*if you take out the rushes by Terrelle Pryor, Geno Smith and Ryan Tannehill

^if it wasn't for CJ Spiller, Bills would be #21, and if it wasn't for Chris Ivory, Jets would be #21

Anyone who thinks we have anything better than a sub-par line at best is a Gettleman homer. Ryan Kalil is great, the rest are average at best and really bad at worst. Our line will be mitigated (more or less) by Cam's scrambling ability, but that's about the only silver lining.

Wharton was considerably slower than I had ever seen him early in the season, but he improved as the season worn on. By improved I mean he was barely average when not asked to pull. All the fat and wear and tear on his body really showed, and sometimes he would trip or go down with very little contact. He showed his age, but we would have been in serious trouble without him. Great career overall.

The o-line imo will be  (Bell - Amini - Kalil - Scott - Williams) but of course Turner is the future.

I don't think our o-line will do well this season pass blocking, but we'll run so much read option with Cam that it might not matter.

Hahahaha. What asshats.

Pff ranks individual performances on an island.

That's like rating a dinner based on the raw ingredients, not what is served at the table.

Football doesn't work that way.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Another thing about outsiders rating players is that the outsiders have no idea (usually) which players are playing with an injury in any given game. No player is 100%, but some guys tough it out with serious injuries and their performance suffers as a result. Only insiders really know the full story.

Pff ranks individual performances on an island.

That's like rating a dinner based on the raw ingredients, not what is served at the table.

Football doesn't work that way.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

That seems so pointless. Individual rankings should be just that, individual. If one is rating a group or a collection of players, it seems the criteria would be different.

Archived