• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster Projection - Preseason Week 2

Jeremy Igo

This roster is spot on. We all want to see what Boston can do, and I think we have seen what Josh Thomas can offer, but I think this is the 53 headed into the year too. 

I still don't know if Roman Harper is a lock though. Personally I would take Godfrey over Harper, leaving Lester/Boston/Godfrey to fill the SS.. But Harper is a solid player; it would be nice to see how the front 7 would improve with a relatively veteran secondary. 

And it probably isn't a huge deal, but who is going to be the leader on Special Teams? We knew Jordan Senn was going to be hard to replace, but with         AJ Klein, Ben Jacobs, Jason Williams, or DJ Smith, I think ST's has a pretty awesome group, (better than years past imo).  We can have the best defense in the world and a respectable offense to go with it, but if the other team starts from the 50 on every possession then it's gonna be a long year. 

Chase Blackburn was practicing long snapping yesterday before practice. No joke.....

Sent from my SM-N900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Luke long snapped in college, or so it seems.  No kidding the first 5 seconds of this vid shows it.  I asked multiple times if he did it "in-game" and never got answer.

Wow ours is close to the same offensively. Two differences, Andrew McDonald and Bersin. And only 2 on defense. Tre and D.J. Smith. I'll keep a closer eye on McDonald and Jacobs now. I'll still withhold judgment on Bersin when I see something in games. Here's mine after game 1 so far:

OFFENSE:

WR1: *Kelvin Benjamin* - #Jason Avant# - Kealoha Pilares

LT: Nate Chandler - Garry Williams

LG: Amini Silatolu - #Fernando Velasco#

C: Ryan Kalil - Brian Folkerts

RG: *Trai Turner* - Chris Scott

RT: Byron Bell

TE: Greg Olsen - #Ed Dickson# - Brandon Williams

WR2: #Jerricho Cotchery# - Tavarres King - (Philly Brown)

QB: Cam Newton - Derek Anderson

FB: Mike Tolbert - Richie Brockel

RB: DeAngelo Williams - Jonathan Stewart - (Darrin Reaves)

DEFENSE:

LE: Greg Hardy - Frank Alexander

UT: Dwan Edwards - Kawann Short

NT: Star Lotulelei - #Colin Cole#

RE: Charles Johnson - *Kony Ealy* - Mario Addison

SLB: Thomas Davis - #Jason Williams#

MLB: Luke Kuechly - #D.J. Smith#

WLB: Chase Blackburn - A.J. Klein

LCB: #Antoine Cason# - *Bene Benwikere* - Josh Norman

RCB: Melvin White - #James Dockery#

SS: #Roman Harper# - Robert Lester - Colin Jones

FS: #Thomas DeCoud# - *Tre Boston*

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K/KO: Graham Gano

P/H: Brad Nortman

KR: Kealoha Pilares - (Philly Brown) - *Bene Benwikere*

PR: #Antoine Cason# - (Philly Brown)- Kealhoa Pilares

LS: J.J. Jansen

* = Draft Pick

# = Free Agent

() = Undrafted Free Agent

It cost us almost $3m to cut Godfrey. Do you think he is cut even with that in mind?

Can we IR Boston without NE or some one else stealing him on the waiver wire?

Here is an update of my original roster projection. Already, there have been a few changes...

QBs - 2

Cam Newton

Derek Anderson

No change here. Joe Webb looked decent, but not worth a roster spot that will in all likelihood never see the field.

Recievers - 6

Kelvin Benjamin

Jericho Cotchery

Jason Avant

Brenton Bersin

Tavarres King

Philly Brown

Why the change? Philly Brown has shown me that he has what it takes to succeed. He had 3 nice grabs in the first preseason game against the Bills and also played well on special teams. Some guys rise to the occasion on gamedays, Philly currently looks like one of them. Throw in the fact that he is still returning punts in practice and his stock just keeps getting higher.

Underwood has less of an upside, we may have already seen him at his best in Tampa Bay.

Tight Ends - 4

Greg Olsen

Ed Dickson

Richie Brockel

Brandon Williams

No change here. McNeil's injury only solidifies this early projection.

Running Backs - 4

Jonathan Stewart

Mike Tolbert

Deangelo Williams

Darrin Reaves

Barner is very close to being cut from this team already. I expect him to get a good number of carries on Sunday night so that the team can really give him a full evaluation. I feel he will fall short. I like Reaves a lot. I'd hate to see this rookie on another team this season. The Panthers need hard nosed runners behind this offensive line, and Reaves has shown he is just that.

Offensive Line - 10

Nate Chandler

Trai Turner

Ryan Kalil

Amini Silatolu

Byron Bell

Garry Williams

Chris Scott

Brian Folkerts

Fernando Velasco

Andrew McDonald

No change here.... yet. Once other teams cuts happen there will be.

Defensive Line - 9

Charles Johnson

Star Lotulelei

Dwan Edwards

Greg Hardy

Kawaan Short

Colin Cole

Kony Ealy

Wes Horton

Mario Addison

No change. Also Wes Horton has been playing pretty well. We may see more playing time for him.

Linebackers - 6

Luke Keuchly

Thomas Davis

AJ Klein

Chase Blackburn

Jason Williams

Ben Jacobs

No change, best in the NFL.

Corners - 5

Antione Cason

Melvin White

Bene Benwikere

Josh Norman

James Dockery

Dockery has played more consistent than Thomas at this point. He is a physical guy that can match up well against the large receivers of the NFC South.

Coach Rivera has had much praise for Josh Norman this year, stating he is now conforming to the scheme.

Safeties - 4

Roman Harper

Thomas Decoud

Robert Lester

Colin Jones

Sticking with this as well. Tre Boston has said he hopes to make the team, but I see him on IR, sadly.

Place Kicker

Graham Gano

Punter

Brad Nortman

Long Snapper

JJ Jansen

Practice Squad

Marcus Lucas

Andrew Norwell

Carrington Byndom

I look for the Panthers to scour the wire to fill the rest of the practice squad, as they usually do.

So theoretically we want to IR Boston... I assume he to has to clear waivers before being stashed on our injured reserve, correct?

I'm not okay essentially giving away two draft picks including a 4th rounder assuming someone would scoop up Boston which seems likely. There needs to be a way to prevent this type of thing. It doesn't seem right.

Archived