• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam and high throws.

CelibatePimp

It's common knowledge throwing off your back foot can cause balls to sail. Some of his throws off his back foot in the past has been due to pressure and not having time to go through the entire throwing motion.

Yep.

His mechanics get a little shaky when there is garbage around his feet.  Really have to focus on stepping through.  Guys that have made a living as a gunslinger and throwing on the run typically have inconsistent mechanics.

It is what it is.....

Obviously the team isn't that worried.  Instead of trying to get him to fix it (and cause potentially other issues in this process) they adapted and brought in some guys to catch his passes.  He actually has some end-zone targets now so he doesn't have to run it in ALL the time to score.  With KB and Cotchery, etc, there will be a lot more chances for those balls to get caught this year and less chance of a defender getting it.

I usually watch the Sunday night games every week.  I have seen Brady, Rodgers, and Cutler just to name a few that were missing terribly.  Its just a few out there that don't have hardly any misses.  This throwing high thing is blown out of proportion.  Steve who is 5'9" had a 1,000 yard season with Cam throwing him the ball so people should give it a rest. 

Agreed, Panther fans/huddler's, act as if they watch Panther games in a vacuum, and don't watch other teams/QB's.

You would have thought, the playoffs last year (with numerous QB's throwing high, with many of us pointing it out, with acknowledgement from the numbskulls) would have been enough. Though see, it's easily forgotten, even during training camp, in the rain, throwing off a sore ankle with weeks to go to start the season.

WTF/Blown out of proportion indeed.

Yep.

His mechanics get a little shaky when there is garbage around his feet.  Really have to focus on stepping through.  Guys that have made a living as a gunslinger and throwing on the run typically have inconsistent mechanics.

It is what it is.....

A clean pocket goes a long way.  Fans act like Brady, Brees, and guys like Rivers don't have errant throws when there is pressure.  All I can allude to is the pass to Ginn in the Saints game.   Cam had defenders draped over him and diving around his feet with a collapsed pocket.  He threw a rope leading Ginn so he could catch it on the run.  That is not a throw many QBs in this league can make.  Everyone misses and I don't see why some of our fans cannot be realistic about that fact.

A lot of tall, big, strong-armed qbs have issues with accuracy at times.  It is in the feet, but Cam is a good runner, so his feet are going to be a bit out of balance at times.

I see his pictures lately and he seems to be leaning backwards more than other QBs.  I want him to be the best ever, so this is not a criticism as much as an amateur attempt to improve an already-solid player.

A clean pocket goes a long way.  Fans act like Brady, Brees, and guys like Rivers don't have errant throws when there is pressure.  All I can allude to is the pass to Ginn in the Saints game.   Cam had defenders draped over him and diving around his feet with a collapsed pocket.  He threw a rope leading Ginn so he could catch it on the run.  That is not a throw many QBs in this league can make.  Everyone misses and I don't see why some of our fans cannot be realistic about that fact.

You are correct.

But, Cam should and WILL get more comfortable as a pocket passer (with more going on aroudn him).

Everyone needs to remember, he was still very raw as a pocket passer when he was drafted.  The progress he has made and where he is now is outstanding.  He is only going to get more and more comfortable.

But, with a gun slinger mentality (and Cam DOES have a bit of gun slinger in him).....you will always have to live with some of this.

Not a Ryan fan, but last year he was sacked and under more pressure than Newton, but had 6.3% higher completion percentage and almost 1,200 more yards, so you can't exclusively blame pressure and say it affects all QBs the same, although I'll be the first to say Most of Brees int come when he's under pressure and tries to force a play instead of throwing ball away. Brees was sacked at almost twice as much last year compared to previous years and still threw for another 5k yards. I think it's more of a Newtons mechanics at play combined with pressure he faces.

I swear some of guys could be getting laid by Stacy Keibler and would just worry about a freckle on her butt rather than just enjoying the moment.

We have an electric young franchise QB. Enjoy it, because they don't come around that often.

Not a Ryan fan, but last year he was sacked and under more pressure than Newton, but had 6.3% higher completion percentage and almost 1,200 more yards, so you can't exclusively blame pressure and say it affects all QBs the same, although I'll be the first to say Most of Brees int come when he's under pressure and tries to force a play instead of throwing ball away. Brees was sacked at almost twice as much last year compared to previous years and still threw for another 5k yards. I think it's more of a Newtons mechanics at play combined with pressure he faces.

What does their yards have to do with it compared to Cam??

That was a philosophy of the Panther offense last (reflective of their personnel).

Using that criteria, how do you explain Cam throwing for 4000+ yards his first two years, when he was presumably a more green passer?

Archived