• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

6'4"-6'6" 330lb range already on the team......

SMACKDAB

But it also doesn't mean you can't play DT.

All a matter of will and determination. These guys are used to being in the trenches. If I were 340+ and they wanted me to switch to DT because they thought I could do. I would in a heartbeat I and I bet these guys would too. 2.6 Million can sign a pretty good player but that would leave us nothing down the road. So, I think in the position we are in, this could very well be a possibility.

Anyone willing to learn can do anything they desire. Are they going to be stars over night probably not but in a pinch. Who knows.

Go Panthers

I'm sure if they asked anyone of those guys to try it they would... but trying and doing are two different things. Besides the fact that they are both in the trenches, there is very little that similar about playing OL and DL. I think the time would be better invested in trying to coach up the guys we already have. You don't have to have a 340 lb DT to stop the run.

As a coach myself I don't have the privilege to just get guys to play a certain position.

I have to take the team I have and plug guys into the spots that I need filled based on size, ability and experience.

I don't see this situation any different.

There is not much asked from a run stuffer, plug the middle and take up space.

Wouldn't hurt to try....

As a coach myself I don't have the privilege to just get guys to play a certain position.

I have to take the team I have and plug guys into the spots that I need filled based on size, ability and experience.

I don't see this situation any different.

There is not much asked from a run stuffer, plug the middle and take up space.

Wouldn't hurt to try....

You don't see any difference between your coaching situation and the Panthers? Guys at the NFL level are highly specialized - they are the top 1% of the best players in the country. If you have a weakness or a deficiency, they will find it and expose it. Believe me when I say that if Fox and co. thought any of these guys could possibly play DT they would have already gave them a look. In general, defensive linemen are more athletic big men then offensive linemen, they are quicker and more explosive.

Another thing to think about is those DTs are playing that position for a reason, they don't have to be very fast. If they were capable of playing DE that is where they would have been all along. The same is usually true for OL guys, they wouldn't have a lot of success getting around the corner and catching a QB.

Archived