• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DT Shaun Smith released by Browns...

X-Clown

He who snoozes

Allen Park -- The Browns sent defensive lineman Shaun Smith2.gif packing over the weekend. The Lions aren't about to ignore talent, even if it comes with some baggage, especially when it comes in the form of a 6-foot-2, 325-pound defensive lineman.

That's why Smith is in Allen Park on Monday for a visit and a physical with the Lions, watching the end of practice from the balcony with general manager Martin Mayhew. The Lions have spent much of the offseason looking for free-agent help on the defensive line, pursuing veterans like Kevin Carter, John Thornton and Hollis Thomas2.gif.

"He's in getting a physical, and we're gonna do our due diligence on just about everybody out there that comes available," coach Jim Schwartz said of Smith.

Unless I am mistaken, if the Panthers were to sign him to the vet min or a little above it then he would not count against the cap. Only the top 35 (that number may not be correct so if I'm wrong please correct it) contracts count agaisnt the cap. So as long as Shaun Smith's contract was less then 35 other contracts then he would be free as far as the cap is concerned.

You are correct as I understand it at the moment, but when we make our final cuts, all 53 count...

First of all, I was being sarcastic, and secondly, how much you are paying someone has nothing to do with it. You expect your employees to perform no matter what.

It's not like out here in the real world. You pay them to do a job whether it is 5 bucks and hour, or 100,000 an hour, you as the boss still want the job done. So...silly statement.

I know that is how I would be no matter what I was paying someone. You have to understand that pay scale isn't "us" out here in the real world.

So....who do you suggest, that chicken in your avatar, or the dude in mine for the position?? :D :cheers2:

I love when people say there are being sarcastic when I call there BS out. Sure you were buddy. :nopity: There are still some good options to go with that are more mentally stable. More then likely we are gonna wait till some teams cut players and grab one of them. We still can go the Darwin Walker route if need be also. Oh and done fug with the Robot Chicken he will kick your ass every time.....

I'm seeing a lot of posts about cap space, but does anybody know how much space the Panthers actually have?

no one has a clue... but...

If I recall correctly, only about a million or so...not much at all. ESPN has the information on it's 'Insider' page, but I'm not a member.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4341176

If one of you all who's an ESPN Insider could open the link and let us know the actual amount, it would be much appreciated.

someone else posted 2.5 mil last week and I forget who it was or where to find it, but I have to agree that it's in the 2.5 ballpark more so than just a mil. Still waiting on someone to clarify this, but we had 2 million in the off-season based on Yas's report..

Then we cut Lucas.. this was after we had the franchise tag set for Pep to sign and after we signed Gross long term..

So I'm waiting for someone to point out why we have less than 2.5+, (but 2.5 sounds good based on a recent post from someone..)

I'm holding onto the idea we have around 2.5....

no one has a clue... but...

someone else posted 2.5 mil last week and I forget who it was or where to find it, but I have to agree that it's in the 2.5 ballpark more so than just a mil. Still waiting on someone to clarify this, but we had 2 million in the off-season based on Yas's report..

Then we cut Lucas.. this was after we had the franchise tag set for Pep to sign and after we signed Gross long term..

So I'm waiting for someone to point out why we have less than 2.5+, (but 2.5 sounds good based on a recent post from someone..)

I'm holding onto the idea we have around 2.5....

Yes, but if you read my post with, (I think Misty Mountain) earlier, the cap total is only on the top 35 players at the time if I'm correct and don't expect me to be. Once our final cuts are made, the cap is on all 53 players, so it's a movable feast...

I love when people say there are being sarcastic when I call there BS out. Sure you were buddy. :nopity: There are still some good options to go with that are more mentally stable. More then likely we are gonna wait till some teams cut players and grab one of them. We still can go the Darwin Walker route if need be also. Oh and done fug with the Robot Chicken he will kick your ass every time.....

Please don't bring back Walker. We should bring in somebody soon so they at least get some time in the system.

Yes, but if you read my post with, (I think Misty Mountain) earlier, the cap total is only on the top 35 players at the time if I'm correct and don't expect me to be. Once our final cuts are made, the cap is on all 53 players, so it's a movable feast...

If this is in-fact how it works, I'm going to be pissed if we don't bring him in for a workout.

If this is in-fact how it works, I'm going to be pissed if we don't bring him in for a workout.

Looks good in theory doesn't it? But when you start cutting low level players to get to the 53, the cap actually goes up, doesn't it? Think about it...

Archived