• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A game of panthers from the Madden 10

Pantherman

1:57 Jump ball!

5:01 I expect three threads alone today on that fumble. :lol:

5:26 When's the last time we've run a screen to the back and have it work?

7:31 That was NICE!

It appears that they got Jake's throwing motion right. What I wonder is whether players can still run 15+ yards backwards and throw it while moving. 2K5 punished you for that if you're doing it with a QB that's not mobile.

Good games made by EA

-

-

-

Stop being a hater EA, has really stepped it up since last fall for the most part...NHL 09 was easily one of the better sports games last year and Round 4 is just insane, i played Madden 10 on the ps3 for around an hour today. Used the Panthers both games (one against falcons one against saints) against the falcons turner abused my line as I subbed out Kemo to make it more realistic, however D-Will and J-Stew went nuts on the Falcons soft D, Smitty obliterated the secondary and Dwayne and Moose had some nice catches over the middle. Had a couple of nice punt and kickoff returns with Ryne as i won 28-14. Against the Saints I could not stop Brees, he threw 4 TD's, 1 with Gamble in coverage, 2 on Marshall and 1 on Godfrey where Marshall slipped and fell and Godfrey had to pick up his man. However I also had 2 picks as the saints threw the ball 48 times. There running game was nowhere to be found as I held bush to a pathetic 2.6 ypc. My backs ran all over the Saints and Smitty caught a gorgeous pass in the corner of the endzone and and another that was a long bomb when he was in 1 on 1 coverage. Believe me when I say Madden this year has been a long time coming and plays nothing at all like previous next gen maddens. While the presentation is not to 2k's level yet it is getting there and will be a huge focus for M11. But until then 10 is so much more then a roster update and if your sports gamer a must buy imo, I feel sorry for the people that refuse to believe EA cant produce a good football game because they will be missing out on an excellent one in M10, Ian Cummings and crew really busted their ass this year on Madden and it shows in every aspect of the game.

Do they have updated rosters for 2k5 for ps2???

if you get a dreamcast you can still play 2k3 i think and people actively update the roster, change jerseys, playbooks, coaches, etc

you don't get the OMG AMAZING GRAPHICS FOR THE THREE TACKLE ANIMATIONS like you do in Madden, but you get a game that's poo tons better to play.

EA spends more money on promoting madden than it does on developing it and it shows. it's not like they shelled out the money for exclusive rights because they were confident they could create a better game than Sega (they couldn't)

every single year Madden is going to be amazing. every single year is the year they get everything right. every single year people buy it because they're so excited for football and lie to themselves about how good it is, then every single year 90% have put it down by october on top of their copies of vince young, mike vick, brett favre, and marshaull faulk

Wow i am really upset at all the stuborn people posting in this thread aside from a few educated posters. I have heard nothing but madden bashing about every single feature that was fixed this year. Man coverage works finally, pocket passing is the only way to pass now and you cant drop back 15 yards anymore, running game works now, and WOW fiz if you even bothered to look at one preview for madden 10, u would at least know that you can have 9 player gang tackles this year.

I have not bought Madden since '06. I hated madden every year and I understand where you guys came from before, i posted poo directly to the developers back in 06 when they wouldn't fix poo, well, thats different and i gave this madden a chance and when they released a developer blog each and every week i thought they were serious and they are, this is the first madden is 5 years worth buying and thats coming from a madden hater, but they did what i wanted to do and that was to make a sim-style madden and so what would be worst than not supporting them down the route that i have wanted them to take all along?

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2009/03/ian-cummings.html

hope that helps u understand the head developer.

Which brings us to Ian Cummings. Ian is the lead designer on Madden 10. Recently, he made this post in the Operation Sports forums about The Show:

To the SCEA dev team: you guys have really set the bar as to what sports games should be. After a few of us got our hands on it, we have forced our entire Madden design team to go through the game, take notes, and come up with ideas that could apply to us - and the one universal happening has been that everyone has been 100% blown away by the detail and quality of the product. From the commentary to the animation to the graphics to the presentation to the depth...you guys knocked it out of the park (bad pun intended).

Am I dreaming? Is this just some kind of cruel dream, and I'm going to wake up with my hand in a bucket of warm water? Hey, that's not funny!

Then, as if it's that not enough, he posted a blog entry today titled Creating 'Sim-Style" Gameplay In Madden 10. What are his three main points of discussion?

1. Inconsistent animation speeds

2. Pass speeds

3. Overall game speed

Oh, and they timed players with different speed ratings in the 40-yard dash, and when the results were unrealistic, they didn't call it a new gameplay feature--they fixed the damn speeds.

Yeah, I know--this will end badly. But it's the first time I've ever heard a Madden designer who sounded both like he understood football and knew how to design a game.

WOW fiz if you even bothered to look at one preview for madden 10, u would at least know that you can have 9 player gang tackles this year.

holy crap NINE player gang tackles? wow here's my money EA thanks so much for this.

oh look their 4th and 5th string WR with 95 speed just burned up my whole secondary and caught a 70 yard bomb from jamarcus russell great game EA fantastic work.

holy crap NINE player gang tackles? wow here's my money EA thanks so much for this.

oh look their 4th and 5th string WR with 95 speed just burned up my whole secondary and caught a 70 yard bomb from jamarcus russell great game EA fantastic work.

OK seriously stop with the madden bashing you obviously haven't even looked into the game this year, they spread out the ratings of every posistion and gave players accurate 40 times which they depicted in speed. Seriously just take 5 seconds to read up on the game before bashing it. It's a quality game this year and I feel sorry for people who wont buy it because the past maddens have been poor, you all do realize its a completely different chief designer then previous years, David Ortiz is gone, so the years of having every wide out 90+ speed are gone!

Im not even going to bother with u anymore if you refuse to find out even the first thing about the game.

run speeds have been fixed so that speed dispariaty is next to nothing, even from an OL to a WR.

Route Running and Man Coverage

We've really spent quite a bit of time on the 'game within the game' of WR/DB interaction. There are two improvements that I'd like to expand on first (as I feel they are the most important), and both are animation related.

First, we replaced nearly every single receiver route animation in the game, with the goal of more accurately recreating real life acceleration and momentum. We are also utilizing the route running rating much more now when selecting these animations. We totally re-tuned which cut moves play (and how 'open' the WR gets) based on an elite/agile/non-agile separation in regards to that rating.

We did basically the exact same thing for defensive reactions while in man coverage. This has allowed us to really re-work our man coverage AI to use animations as the true determination of how open the receiver gets. Before, there would typically be a time delay placed on the defender's reaction time based on his (and the receiver's) ratings. Now, we can specifically pick different animations to determine how fast he reacts, or whether he gets faked out or not. This creates a much more believable and realistic simulation of momentum.

Second, we took a page from the FIFA team and added in the concept of 'jostling'. Personally I am extremely stoked to have this in the game because I've written a design for it for 5+ years in a row...unfortunately we just never had the technology to accomplish it. The 'jostling' concept is a set of looping 2-man animations that can play for the WR and DB as they run downfield. The main reason that I am so big on these animations is that it really helps alleviate a balance problem that has existed in Madden for years. I'm talking about the fact that traditionally you can send a player with a 99 speed rating (regardless of his other ratings like route running, catching, etc) on a streak and easily get behind a defender in man coverage. In real life, regardless of the difference in speed, a good defensive back can use his body to keep the receiver in check... a fly route is rarely an untouched foot-race sprint to the endzone.

Adding these animations also allowed us the ability to call more realistic pass interference penalties. We've added a lot of variety that ranges from minor hand-fighting to severe push-offs and holds, so now we can make sure that pass interference gets called in a much more accurate manner. We're using the man coverage rating of the defender to determine how well he keeps the WR in check and how often he gets penalized.

Here are some other changes that have been made so far for route running:

Added support for slip & fall receiver cut moves in bad weather (chances of slipping come from route running ratings)

-Re-factored all double moves to work correctly, including defensive cut moves that are companions to the WR cuts (chances of defender biting come from man coverage rating, play recognition rating, as well as boosts for correctly timed pump fakes)

-Added all new start play WR animations with more realistic acceleration (should be visible in the videos above)

*****-Added "pop" animations where say a LB will hit a WR as he comes across the middle through his zone

Press / Release

Another area that we thought needed definite improvements was in the battle between receivers and DB's at the line. Below is a list of all the fixes we've made so far:

-Deleted all previous chuck animations, re-added all newly captured ones from scratch

-Extended animation time drastically on chucks. Longer times not only mean smoother looking animations, but also more realistic reactions from WR's (i.e. they can't catch the ball while they are being chucked so you can't fire the ball over to them immediately and expect them to catch it as they aren't looking for the ball)

-Removed all animation compression on chucks to increase visual fidelity. Found and fixed an issue where the players wouldn't align properly during the chuck animation which used to cause some weird clipping through each other Fixed "suction" bug where press animations could start from like 5 yards away.

-Fixed a bug with zone / man chuck animations...in 09 the chucks for DB's in zone coverage looked just like chucks in man coverage.

-Re-factored the logic for win/loss on chucks based on the route the receiver wants to run. For example, if the WR wants to run inside (i.e. a post), and he "wins" the press, then he won't just pick an animation that beats the press, he'll pick one of many press beating animations that actually break inside. Likewise for defensive players...they'll push the player inside if they "win" the press in like a Cover 2 situation.

Here since you're too lazy to even look at one developer blog, feel free to read this one.

http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.action?month=3&year=2,009

Archived