• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jake and the Coach

ladypanther

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/876871.html

I like this article. I know that bashing Jake is easy. But, he is who we have. And, I do not think anyone can question how much he wants to win and how much he loves being a Panther. He is also a great leader and a good guy.

The Coach. Got to love his approach in working with Jake. And that fundamental stuff...who knows....if it helps Jake even a little....

Jake. What a great attitude toward working on new stuff. Plus, his arm has to be a bit healthier with another year post surgery.

There are reasons to believe. Plus, it feels a lot better.

“He wants to be coached,” said Scherer. “He was extremely receptive to maybe a different approach. I'm not in any way saying (it's) better, but just different. Sometimes change is good.

That speaks volumes.. so much so, that he had to backtrack so he didn't disrespect McCoy.. lol

I honestly love Jake Delhomme the human being. It's hard to think of a better person on the team. Maybe John Kasay. Regardless, Jake Delhomme's help with charities has been insane and he's given more than people realize to the city of Charlotte.

That being said, someone like Billy Graham has done a lot for the city too but that doesn't mean I want him out there as my quarterback.

I'm sorry but I remember when Jake ran into that huddle against Jacksonville- gave high fives and changed Panther nation forever.

No matter what anyone says, Jake might not be John Elway, but he is OUR John Elway and no other Panther QB has ever given this team as much success as him..

I hope he wins it all and goes out on top.

We have the tools, and Jake has the right mentality.

Its not how you start, but how you finish, and Jake isn't finished yet......

Excerpts...

Scherer, a 36-year coaching veteran who previously coached Cleveland's quarterbacks, is a stickler for fundamentals and is working on improving the all the Panthers' quarterbacks' footwork during training camp.

“Being a good passer, I think, starts with your feet and your base,” said Scherer. “I just told (Delhomme) my focus is going to be with his base, with his feet, with his balance, adjusting his feet. He hadn't done a whole lot of that recently. Again, that's not a knock on anybody.”

Delhomme is often at his best when improvising, but Scherer is working to help him make sure his weight is evenly distributed when he throws.

Scherer said he's not seeking a total makeover, even though Delhomme's style can be unorthodox. For instance, some of Delhomme's best plays have been what look like high lob passes that receiver Steve Smith leaps to catch.

“I'm not going to handcuff him,” said Scherer. “Part of his game, part of his personality and part of his success is – I don't want to say he's a freelancer – but you can't make a guy robotic either.

“You've got to try to establish parameters for them. If you establish the proper parameters, then they can go out and make plays.”

Another key area Scherer said he focuses on is the mental and emotional state of a quarterback. Scherer said he's not concerned about Delhomme's response to the poor showing against Arizona.

“I think it has stoked the fire,” said Scherer. “I think it's a positive motivating factor for him. I don't think it in any way has shaken his confidence. If anything, I think it will serve to enhance his performance.”

Hiring this guy may turn out to be one of the better moves this offseason.

(a big thank you to Josh McDaniels and the Broncos for making it possible)

A lot of us remember Mike McCoy's infamous promise to David Carr that he wouldn't bother his mechanics. It was one of the reasons carr gave for choosing to sign here. More than a few of us went borderline ballistic over the notion of a QB coach who wouldn't bother his pupils' passing method.

Clearly, those days are over.

(and not a moment too soon)

I think this is a good hire too. Sometimes just a different set of eyes with different experiences behind them are a good thing. Jake seems smart enough and open enough to accept that experience and I believe he's a very hard worker...I'm optimistic.

The working with his footwork is a huge deal...really it's the basis to so much in sports but especially big for a quarterback.

And I still think above everything else, you can't easily replace have a captain, a leader, of Jake's quality. If you have any personal experience with team sports, you've probably seen lesser talented teams be more successful than more talented teams due to the type of leadership we have with Jake (and for that matter, Fox). I know I've experienced it firsthand.

(a big thank you to Josh McDaniels and the Broncos for making it possible)

You know how those coaching tree guys look out for each other. Hiring McCoy away was JM's gift to Jeff Davidson. He doesn't need a real QB coach or real OC in Denver.

I like what Scherer's doing, no doubt about it. I am very impressed with Scherer so far.

Steve Reed's take: Back to fundamentals

The article says a lot about Scherer's approach and Jake's coachability.

Scherer was a bit taken aback.

After all, even though he’d broken down tape on Delhomme for the past month, he hadn’t planned on breaking down the quarterback’s flaws over some Cajun seafood at a restaurant in Breaux Bridge.

“No, let’s get into it,” Delhomme insisted.

“He started pulling it out of me. He wanted to know every little thing," Scherer said.

Then he laughed, adding, “Fortunately I had made a lot of notes.”

So Scherer broke it down, with Delhomme hanging on each word, taking it for what it was -- constructive criticism.

Archived