• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vonleh observation / concern

MedellinHeel

i will bookmark this thread for you doubters. I know basketball and this is not some 1st game jitters.

it's a real issue than can or can not be fixed with time.

Hey everyone deserves to have their own opinion, have you looked into working for bleacher report? You'd fit in well.

Heck he may not be very good but give him all of summer league at the minimum before you crown him a bust.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Have you never seen a freshman come in to a college, and play a little timid at first, but by his senior year he is a different player?

Yes and I have also seen guys who never developed instincts and twitch because it is not quite the same or something you can simply learn like post moves, shooting, handles, and IQ. 

Two different issues bro.

PJ was taking piss poor shots bro.

Which helped in making him ice cold bro.

Voicing concern is not dogging bro.

This might not be a 1st game type of problem bro.

Same problem bro PJ was missing open shots he normally makes bro.

Noah is running pro plays like screens and pick in rolls with players he never played with before bro.

Not going to.look real instinctive and fluent after 4 practices bro.

i will bookmark this thread for you doubters. I know basketball and this is not some 1st game jitters.

it's a real issue than can or can not be fixed with time.

Since you've joined this forum, you haven't showed any semblance of basketball knowledge in any post what so ever. All I've seen is rambling on how PJ should start over Hendo and other incoherent gibberish that has no resemblance of basketball knowledge.

Point blank is that both PJ and Vonleh played horrible tonight, took bad shots and made bad decisions with the basketball. You got the above comment because of how you come off in your post about this so called knowledge of basketball. If you have so much knowledge, then please for the rest of us here.....start showing it.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

Personally, I don't think you saw any twitch issues. What I think you saw was hesitation.

My reasoning is that at the beginning of the game Vonleh was moving really well. It's not until he started picking up fouls that he started to look "sluggish."

I think we all need to take a step back and relax.

This kid is really young and like I said is a project type of player.

The least we can do is give him more than one summer league game before we roast him over the fire.

Hey everyone deserves to have their own opinion, have you looked into working for bleacher report? You'd fit in well.

Heck he may not be very good but give him all of summer league at the minimum before you crown him a bust.

Certainly not crowning him a bust. Has way too much upside and is still alittle raw. 

I would have drafted him at 9 knowing we could get PJ later, so that should tell you all you need to know. 

Doesnt mean I am not gonna notice things and have concerns. 

Since you've joined this forum, you haven't showed any semblance of basketball knowledge in any post what so ever. All I've seen is rambling on how PJ should start over Hendo and other incoherent gibberish that has no resemblance of basketball knowledge.

Point blank is that both PJ and Vonleh played horrible tonight, took bad shots and made bad decisions with the basketball. You got the above comment because of how you come off in your post about this so called knowledge of basketball. If you have so much knowledge, then please for the rest of us here.....start showing it.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

Wait saying "PJ is great and not stupid" isn't Red Auerbach like basketball knowledge? ??

Personally, I don't think you saw any twitch issues. What I think you saw was hesitation.

My reasoning is that at the beginning of the game Vonleh was moving really well. It's not until he started picking up fouls that he started to look "sluggish."

I think we all need to take a step back and relax.

This kid is really young and like I said is a project type of player.

The least we can do is give him more than one summer league game before we roast him over the fire.

It is possible you are right and that I could be making a wrong assumption. After all it is just one game. 

However, there is still a chance I am correct and that is a real issue. 

Vonleh is not your conventional project. He is quite skilled and advanced as a player. The complete opposite of Biz. 

Where Vonleh is gonna have to improve is on his IQ and feel for the game. 

I could be wrong but didn't all the scouting reports say he lacked instinct and/or was slow at times?

Our whole team shot poorly so maybe it's a team prep problem?

I'm not going to go crazy over a players 1st summer league game. However I wouldn't mind seeing some facts on poor summer league play projecting NBA careers.

Watching this summer league game and it's the first full game i've watched of Vonleh.

He has a great frame, athletic, and pretty coordinated but something just seems off. And I am gonna have to put this on instincts. Just seems a bit slow in reacting. This goes for offense and defense. Which is probably why he didn't do a bit better at IU.

Def not a fast twitch guy compared to the Davis kid out there who was making plays all over.

Can instincts and reaction be improved? I am not sure on this. He is young so I am hoping I am either dead wrong or if I am right he is able to develop / improve this over his career, preferably sooner than later.

He didn't get in trouble with the law. I'll take it.

By the way, fast twitch can be trained.

I know this because the strength and conditioning coach at my college is one of the best in the country.

Stack has developed comprehensive plyometric training regimens to help change type I fibers to type II fibers and plyometrics, Olympic training, strength training, and speed training are just a few types of training regimens that will help players change those type I fibers to type II fibers.

I could be wrong but didn't all the scouting reports say he lacked instinct and/or was slow at times?

Not sure, didnt read many scouting reports on Vonleh, but if true I can certainly see how that was on there. First game and first thing that came to my mind when watching him play. 

Archived