• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best football decision of all time:

Guenhwyvar

getting a cornerstone to solidfy the line for years is worth it. I wanted Otah on draft day and I've loved to see him be a beast on the field. Best part is, he's still developing. I am glad that we're using him at RT for his rookie year though. I'd almost never want to see a rookie at the LT spot.

A couple more monumental carolina decisions (although not as risky as the decision at hand):

1. Drafting Peppers. Not only his beastly defensive end play but what he means to this franchise. He is the first "franchise player." Grew up in NC and played college at UNC, he really helped build up the carolina panthers fanbase. IMO, he is exactly the type of player I want to represent my franchise. His contributions go far beyond making plays on the field.

2. Drafting Steve Smith. Third round pick, so not too much of a risk if he didn't work out. But I'll go ahead and say he is the best third-round pick in Panthers franchise history, and that will never change.

When people think "Carolina Panthers", they think "Julius Peppers and Steve Smith." They are responsible for giving the Panthers an identity and establishing what this franchise is all about. I can only hope that they both make it to Canton and that we never see another 89 and 90 in charlotte again.

(I know this is probably obvious to everyone here, but I still had to say it.)

People often say that a draft pick cannot be accurately assessed for at least three seasons, and realistically four. This argument is often used to defend a questionable pick, such as Thomas Davis.

However, I think the same reasoning should apply to picks that look like gold right off the bat. Stewart and/or Otah could regress terribly next season. They could choke in the playoffs. They could end up missing a lot of time to injury (Dan Morgan anyone?)

I would agree that they have been outstanding so far, but we should let them prove it over time before we go calling their aquisition the "best football decision of all time", even if you just meant for the Panthers.

Archived