• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Make or break year for Shula (I hope)

MedellinHeel

my point was it doesn't matter how good or bad an offense is, it will usually struggles against an elite defense.

now this i can agree with.

with all the moaning and groaning about shula, you'd think the panthers went 4-12 last season instead of 12-4. the issue with the offense overall is there's no threat outside of newton. as much as people want to paint him as all world, the offense has to have an identity to compliment him. teams aren't stacking the box and daring him to throw like they did his rookie season. he's the focal point of opposing defenses, and until carolina has a true rushing attack (hello double trouble where are you???) or a dominant wide receiver (kelvin Benjamin...knock on wood) to draw some of the attention off him, the offense is going to remain an ugly one man show.

Seeing Cam single handedly win games puts a big creepy pedosmile on me.

So those terrible wide receivers of ours are still on the market right?

Sent from the Carolina Huddle App

Pretty much all the WRs we lost are now a WR3 on their new team. That definitely says something about what Shula had to work with in the passing game. The running game sucked too because the OL wasnt generating the lanes for our RB. He did a pretty good job with what we had. We have some good pieces in Cam, Olsen, Kalil, and Gross but the rest of the offense was pretty poor. The OL did their job in pass protection but sucked in the run game. The pass game was pretty much all on Cam and Olsen

This is a bit deceptive. The elite defense means they don't have to score as much so they will spend more time running down the clock. That doesn't mean their offense is below average. It merely means they don't have to try as hard because they are good in so many different areas. Teams like the colts and saints need to constantly push the offense because they dont have support from their defense.

so why does the same concept of it being acceptable to not have to score as much because of having an elite defense not apply to the panthers?

i've watched plenty of seattle games to see that they are (with the exception of have a true rushing attack) are a mirror image of the panthers...even down to wilson bailing out the offense in clutch situations just like newton does for the panthers.

so why does the same concept of it being acceptable to not have to score as much because of having an elite defense not apply to the panthers?

i've watched plenty of seattle games to see that they are (with the exception of have a true rushing attack) are a mirror image of the panthers...even down to wilson bailing out the offense in clutch situations just like newton does for the panthers.

O it definitely applies to the panthers too. Our D was so good that the offense didn't have to push the ball. That is why Shula shouldnt get as much hate as he does. Shula is average to good in my opinion.  

Wanting to improve in a specific area I don't think should really qualify as "moaning and groaning".  The great teams always try to improve in their weaker areas.   No one''s saying he's the worst OC in the history of football but his playcalling is suspect more times than not, IMO.

Wanting to improve in a specific area I don't think should really qualify as "moaning and groaning".  The great teams always try to improve in their weaker areas.   No one''s saying he's the worst OC in the history of football but his playcalling is suspect more times than not, IMO.

so was chudzinski's playcalling...and he produced a top 10 offense.

i had more wtf headscratching experiences with chud than with shula.

so was chudzinski's playcalling...and he produced a top 10 offense.

i had more wtf headscratching experiences with chud than with shula.

thats because with sula you know exactly what is coming

run 

run or short pass

long developing pass play on 3rd and short

punt

he produced a top 10 offense.

Well, that would be the difference.

To your point Chud did get way too cute sometimes but as far as Shula and "suspect" I was referring to a glaring lack of adjustments at times.

It's cool though.  I just want the guy to learn from his mistakes and improve.  We don't necessarily need to get rid of him.  The season hasn't started I can't call for the guys head yet (pause).

Well, that would be the difference.

To your point Chud did get way too cute sometimes but as far as Shula and "suspect" I was referring to a glaring lack of adjustments at times.

It's cool though.  I just want the guy to learn from his mistakes and improve.  We don't necessarily need to get rid of him.  The season hasn't started I can't call for the guys head yet (pause).

chud had lots of trouble adjusting. people blamed the defense during that time for blowing leads, but chud's high powered offense would completely disappear when it was needed most.

chud had lots of trouble adjusting. people blamed the defense during that time for blowing leads, but chud's high powered offense would completely disappear when it was needed most.

It averaged out though. You knew Chud was gonna deliver about x amount of points. 

With Shula, you are hoping and praying for 21+ points lol

Hey you brought up Chud not me.

Our offense needs to improve from last season.  That's really all I need to say at this point.

Archived