• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You guys know that Kemo wasn't that great, right?

Fiz

Just for perspective, I can't think of anybody on our current defense I'd call "great" without at least a few reservations. There are some that are very good (Beason, Gamble, Peppers) and others I'd be comfortable calling good (Harris, Davis, Lewis) but great? Potentially great perhaps, but not great right now.

Kemo would have fallen under "good" for me. Everyone behind him on the depth chart rates as an unknown. No, he wasn't a pro-bowler, but few on our defense are.

You have to understand (some do) that what Kemo was generally asked to do wasn't the kind of thing that showed up in the stats. But it was pretty obvious how much he was missed against the Giants last season. I'd add there were at least three games in which he made an important, game changing stuff.

This season we'll be facing some pretty tough rushing attacks (including Michael Turner twice). Given that we have a DC whose units have been known to be better against the pass anyway, I'd have preferred to have had him out there anchoring the middle.

The question of how well he'd have done in Meeks' scheme? That's valid. But overall, the notion that he's no big loss just doesn't hold true.

Just for perspective, I can't think of anybody on our current defense I'd call "great" without at least a few reservations. There are some that are very good (Beason, Gamble, Peppers) and others I'd be comfortable calling good (Harris, Davis, Lewis) but great? Potentially great perhaps, but not great right now.

Kemo would have fallen under "good" for me. Everyone behind him on the depth chart rates as an unknown. No, he wasn't a pro-bowler, but few on our defense are.

You have to understand (some do) that what Kemo was generally asked to do wasn't the kind of thing that showed up in the stats. But it was pretty obvious how much he was missed against the Giants last season. I'd add there were at least three games in which he made an important, game changing stuff.

This season we'll be facing some pretty tough rushing attacks (including Michael Turner twice). Given that we have a DC whose units have been known to be better against the pass anyway, I'd have preferred to have had him out there anchoring the middle.

The question of how well he'd have done in Meeks' scheme? That's valid. But overall, the notion that he's no big loss just doesn't hold true.

Exactly.. Kemo was the key to stopping the run. Maybe not making the tackle but giving the LB the freedom to do it.

If he wasn't right for the scheme then why sign him to a 3 yr deal?

I think Lonnie Harvey has the chance to do what Kemo did. Become a solid player after not being drafted. 342 lbs he could easily be a force like Kemo was.

Go Panthers

they had Hayden slim down, but I'll be surprised if he stays as starter (and if so, I dont have that great a feeling at this particular moment).. That diamond in the rough could be Favorite, but seems that is a shot in the dark just like the rest...

With Kemo out, we now have a little bit of cash, but we'll see what that does...

Here's where the coaches earn their pay.. Can only hope they come through..

We DO NOT have any more Cap Space with Kemo out!!!! You do not get Cap Relief when a player goes on IR. We still have to carry his salary against our Cap.

Hopefully Kemo going down gives the FO top priority come draft time to find a replacement. Kemo carries a heavy 2010 cap hit and is coming back from an injury that has lingering long term side effects. It would be nice to get a guy that is younger, cheaper and more effective, trade up into round 1 here we come!!!

Plus, the people saying he's a better NT in a 3-4 system, didn't Ray Lewis want Kemo out of Baltimore because Kemo was ineffective? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

The bottom line isn't how good Kemo was or wasn't. It's not about how good or experienced the backups are or aren't. Injuries happen every season to every team and that is life in the NFL. The 08 Steelers had probably the worst starting offensive line I have ever seen and then was hit my injuries in the pre-season and early in the season. Yet they were able to win the Super Bowl? As important as the players are, coaching is just as important for this very reason.

So was Kemo's loss a big deal? Yes, but that doesn't mean the end of the season. Kemo loss isn't the same as lossing your starting QB or Pro-Bowl MLB or DE. If any knock could be made about Kemo it is that his talent wasn't dependent on intangables. And for that reason his loss is easier to bare. That doesn't change the fact that it was a big loss just the way the team can respond to the loss.

Now the coaches have to earn their pay and adjust. The other defensive players will have to adjust. And because of this our opponents will have to adjust. Adjust. Not change philosiphy and that is where you can find the blessing, if there is one.

We DO NOT have any more Cap Space with Kemo out!!!! You do not get Cap Relief when a player goes on IR. We still have to carry his salary against our Cap.

I did some research and realize that now, already made a post to update that comment. :)

yeah if lavar arrington could't come back from this injury,i doubt big kemo can.....now is the time to find his replacement.irvin,marlon,and harvey could all do kemo job.

Kemo's position is totally different. It isn't predicated on speed. When you way 350 pounds, you don't need massive bursts of speed to make plays.

It's funny to see all of these ignorant posts about Kemo and the DT position. It isn't a glamor position. I think people believe that because he isn't making sacks and huge game breaking plays, that he isn't a major factor. Those aren't really a DT's job to make. Most of their job ends up helping other teammates make the plays.

Archived