• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL.com article-Peppers best player in team history.

ctrcat

This was a question of who was the greatest player in TEAM history.  Peppers left when the going got tough, Smith stayed.  Who is more about the team?  Smitty is the greatest player in team history and it's not even close.

It's Smitty. All day every day. Peppers has all the talent and physical ability in the world, and if he had half of the heart that Steve does, he would be the goat at his position. What Smith has accomplished for himself and for this team, cements him at number one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Ehh, I think Smith was the best player in team history, but Peppers is close.  Gross is there too, as someone pointed out above. I think Cam is going to pass the both in short order, though.  No offense to either of them. 

Peppers is a six time all pro. 3 first team, 3 second team. Smith had 3 total, one being as a returner. Peppers also made the all decade team. Hate him all you want, his accolades outweigh Smith.

Both Peppers and Smitty had 2 first team all pros.  Both of them had 5 probowls as Panthers.  Accolades may go a slight bit in Peppers' favor, but overall they're pretty even.  They were also both dominating at the same time.  This sports writer seems to have forgotten Smitty's 2005 season, which, IMO, was better than any single season Peppers ever had.  Hard to compare the two though.  Smitty played longer and had a greater overall impact for the team IMO.  

no debate: Should be Smitty.

Pepper's stats didn't require Jake(post Tommy-Jone version), Weinke, Peete, Carr, Moore, StPierre throwing him the ball. There's probably a few more in that list. If you can at least get into the debate of getting into the HOF with this cast...

not dogging Peppers at all, easily my #2 in Panthers history. 

I've been waiting for a chance to bring this up, so here goes:

I often wonder if we'll ever know what was wrong with Peppers during his lost season with us. You'd think that with former teammates retiring and such, we'd hear something. I don't know if anything like it has ever happened in sports--an absolutely dominant player who became less than average for a year with no explanation.

Yea 2.5 sacks is absolutely terrible. Id take smitty and 03-06 jake delhomme over peppers

This was a question of who was the greatest player in TEAM history.  Peppers left when the going got tough, Smith stayed.  Who is more about the team?  Smitty is the greatest player in team history and it's not even close.

the title just means on the team not that he qualifies for your definition of a team player.

I've been waiting for a chance to bring this up, so here goes:

I often wonder if we'll ever know what was wrong with Peppers during his lost season with us. You'd think that with former teammates retiring and such, we'd hear something. I don't know if anything like it has ever happened in sports--an absolutely dominant player who became less than average for a year with no explanation.

We know what happened. He just didn't care. I mean, that's it. Peppers doesn't have the drive of other players. He didn't then, and he doesn't now.

Archived