• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Proehl on 1st visit with Kelvin Benjamin: "I was in awe to be honest"

Kelvin Benjamin reminds of Marques Colston-Anquan Boldin-Larry Fitzgerald type of WRs

No offense Panthers fans but I think he's the best WR on the roster day 1. I think Shula is gonna have to be creative.

If he lines KB up as the X receiver and just expects him to 'win' I think he'll struggle. Because once KB wins early defense are going to adjust.

They press him at the LOS and play FS help over top because there is no real WR threat opposite him.

I hope Kelvin plays the Z in base formations but I hope they move him around like at FSU have him play the slot, use bunch formations.

These same tactics are used with the WRs I mentioned before. And like them KB might not overwhelm with vertical speed but he's pretty much gonna be open even when he's covered. Kurt Warner said that Ken Wisenhunt told him when he first got to the Cardinals ~'even when Fitz is covered he's open'.

Which brings me back to Shula. I hope Shula+WRs coach+QB coach work on some "Kelvin Benjamin" rules that allow Cam freedom to judge open differently when it comes to him. They should take the 'throw to position' approach. On certain routes(ISO) Cam will throw to Benji based on body position.

Some time it might be a jump ball or a backshoulder etc.

Benjiman is gonna be sleeper WR in fantasy. I think he'll have a chance to be the most productive rookie WR.

Because he's gonna get the No.1 thing rookie WRs need....

Targets.

If Benjamin doesn't lead the Panthers in targets Shula dun bumped his head.

This. Our WRs aren't great on paper, but I think they can match last year's WR corps and possibly surpass it. Losing Gross to retirement is a HUGE concern.

As much as we all never wanted to see Smitty go.   I saw on of Gettleman's interviews and he made a statement that was very true.   Our receiving corps last year hit their ceiling.   They weren't going to go any higher.  That included Smith. 

This new group has a good mixture of youth and veterans.  I think they will have a much higher ceiling.  The only thing they don't have is experience working together.   Proehl has his work cut out for him that is for sure.   I think he has a good plan and will help Cam a lot.

Proehl is a good coach and this season could move him up the coaching chain.(that is if he has aspirations of being a OC or HC)

Only concern I have is that Cam doesn't get to work with these guys until training camp.  So he will have about 6 weeks to prepare but he had about the same time to prepare his rookie year and he won OROY.

I'm with on spreading people out. Its what Griffin excelled at in college, he's been good with spread formations in the NFL and the best offenses in the league spread it out.

The coaching candidates/coaching staffs that fit the bill for spread for me are: Tom Clements/Green Bay staff, Josh McDaniels (but he does a lil of everything), Bevell/Seahawks, Linehart/Lions

WRs:

If we're lucky we can land someone like Kelvin Benjamin:

vv...Puts DB on the ground running a route..vv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGkILDhCepI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsBWdiRUGAk

vv..Big Boy Fade route..vv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8xhzMPEXo

I think some of the older poster know I'm not a bandwagon jumper. I am still and always will be a Redskins fan.

But just wanted to share a post I made about Benji waaaayyyy prior to him being drafted by the Panthers.

You guys just have a habit of stealing players that should be wearing Burgundy and Gold.

Anyhow wanted to share some clips of Benji that you may/may not have already seen that imho highlight his skillset.

Kelvin Benjamin reminds of Marques Colston-Anquan Boldin-Larry Fitzgerald type of WRs

No offense Panthers fans but I think he's the best WR on the roster day 1. I think Shula is gonna have to be creative.

If he lines KB up as the X receiver and just expects him to 'win' I think he'll struggle. Because once KB wins early defense are going to adjust.

They press him at the LOS and play FS help over top because there is no real WR threat opposite him.

I hope Kelvin plays the Z in base formations but I hope they move him around like at FSU have him play the slot, use bunch formations.

These same tactics are used with the WRs I mentioned before. And like them KB might not overwhelm with vertical speed but he's pretty much gonna be open even when he's covered. Kurt Warner said that Ken Wisenhunt told him when he first got to the Cardinals ~'even when Fitz is covered he's open'.

Which brings me back to Shula. I hope Shula+WRs coach+QB coach work on some "Kelvin Benjamin" rules that allow Cam freedom to judge open differently when it comes to him. They should take the 'throw to position' approach. On certain routes(ISO) Cam will throw to Benji based on body position.

Some time it might be a jump ball or a backshoulder etc.

Benjiman is gonna be sleeper WR in fantasy. I think he'll have a chance to be the most productive rookie WR.

Because he's gonna get the No.1 thing rookie WRs need....

Targets.

If Benjamin doesn't lead the Panthers in targets Shula dun bumped his head.

I really think you have include the WR's and the TE's as a whole. Obviously Cotchery and Avant are limited players but they have something to offer in this offense. Especially Cotchery who at 30 is outplaying LaFell.  2 TE sets are coming back in Carolina, with Olsen and Dickson I think Cam will have some good options to throw to.

Speed is the question mark though. Underwood is fast but he seems like a guy that can fizzle out and be forgotten.

Archived