• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Proehl on 1st visit with Kelvin Benjamin: "I was in awe to be honest"

PS: You're coordination, is part of your athleticism, especially when you possess it with great size, and/or weight and strength. 

This argument is now pointless (especially in light of Proehl's, Rivera's, The Players, and Gettlemen's comments). 

What's wrong with you?

SMH

KB apparently is agile, deceptive, and has great body control (all athletic attributes on your list). However, you still want to parse/create words and terms, calling him "physically gifted", though he possesses (by your measure) great athletic attributes at his size. . You're talking nonsense now. The Deondre Jordan example was a very good one. 

And YES, lot's of people when they call you PHYSICALLY GIFTED could be talking about your body, athleticism, or both!! They're interchangeable. I would argue, most when they say it, are talking about everything (or your overall Physical impact on the field, which KB seems to possess at this early stage). 

You're just creating your own now to tread, hold your head above water for your sinking argument and convoluted logic.  

You might have a point if I said KB was a dud athletically. Already mentioned he is agile and shifty. That alone doesnt make him athletically gifted, atleast not to me. Most football people will agree, the three most important metrics of athletic ability in regards to NFL are speed/quickness, strength, and vert. To be deemed athletically gifted you would need to test out above average on those metrics. 

Ovcourse ppl miss use terms like physically and athletically gifted. Doesnt change the fact that they are indeed different. 

he's physically gifted and athletically gifted.....because of his size.

most people that big are awkward. KB is very fluid. an explosive jumper and can make some acrobatical catches because of his athleticism. very few people his size can contort their body that way.

he may not have a high vert or a slower 40 time but he makes up for it in other athletic ways. not just physical. at least thats what i have seen.

So true. Cause if he can't play the position, The Panthers will move him to TE, only play him in special packages/match ups, or he'll be a glorified TE, though they'll call him a WR. 

If he's is a  true wide out, then he'll be all the things you said indeed (which is what he's displayed). Otherwise, he would have been utilized more as a tight end, if he couldn't make the tough catches on the edge as many of the great receivers do. 

And which of these guys tested worse than KB athletically?

And p.s. your position or tone is that of I do not think KB will do good in the NFL.

I think he can be successful due to his fball skills (needs to work on his drops) and his physical tools.

My only thing is damn, imagine how much nicer a prospect he would be if he had a good vert and speed. And that we should not be comparing Calvin to KB.

Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.6 as I recall and also Jerry Rice ran some ridiculous 4.7 so you can't trust the 40, nobody ever called rice slow when he was running 90 yards for a touchdown. IS Kelvin Jerry Rice ? No but I'm saying don't trust the combine, it's awful you'd think we would've learned that by now and fixed it, so great players are measured correctly.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

You might have a point if I said KB was a dud athletically. Already mentioned he is agile and shifty. That alone doesnt make him athletically gifted, atleast not to me. Most football people will agree, the three most important metrics of athletic ability in regards to NFL are speed/quickness, strength, and vert. To be deemed athletically gifted you would need to test out above average on those metrics. 

Ovcourse ppl miss use terms like physically and athletically gifted. Doesnt change the fact that they are indeed different. 

Now I know you're clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have officially jumped the shark, sank to the bottom, and have lost the argument (for the umpteenth time). 

You forgot the most important aspect--Size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is why you can't separate physical size from athleticism. 

Who cares if you run fast and jump high, if you're not big enough for the position????????????????????????????????????

Who cares about speed or quickness if you're not agile, shifty and can anticipate--i.e. elusiveness-- (let's say for a running back or receiver after the catch)?

You can't separate ATHLETICALLY GIFTED FROM BEING PHYSICALLY GIFTED!!!!!!!!!!  And this goes for every sport. Who cares if you can run a 4.1 40 YD and jump out the gym (or stadium) if you're 5'6" tall, 130 lbs??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Get my drift. Now please let's end this pointless argument, especially in light of what the Panther coaches, players and GM have been saying. 

SMH like a wet dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true. Cause if he can't play the position, The Panthers will move him to TE, only play him in special packages/match ups, or he'll be a glorified TE, though they'll call him a WR. 

If he's is a  true wide out, then he'll be all the things you said indeed (which is what he's displayed). Otherwise, he would have been utilized more as a tight end, if he couldn't make the tough catches on the edge as many of the great receivers do. 

i could see him being a jimmy graham type player te/wr hybrid.

dude likes to block and likes to hurt people (i know graham sucks at that)

i could see him being a jimmy graham type player te/wr hybrid.

dude likes to block and likes to hurt people (i know graham sucks at that)

Yeah, it all depends if they keep him at the same size, or try to bulk him up. 

Nonetheless, they could still try to use him like your description. 

However, with his acrobatics, anticipation and ball skills, it appears he may be used more as a wide out (especially if any of the young Panther TE's develop). They'll be key. 

We'll see?

Now I know you're clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have officially jumped the shark, sank to the bottom, and have lost the argument (for the umpteenth time). 

You forgot the most important aspect--Size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is why you can't separate physical size from athleticism. 

Who cares if you run fast and jump high, if you're not big enough for the position????????????????????????????????????

Who cars about speed or quickness, if you're not agile, shifty and can anticipate (let's say for a running back or receiver after the catch)?

You can't separate ATHLETICALLY GIFTED FROM BEING PHYSICALLY GIFTED!!!!!!!!!!  And this goes for every sport. Who cares if you can run a 4.1 40 YD and jump out the gym (or stadium) if you're 5'6" tall??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Get my drift. Now please let's end this pointless argument, especially in light of what the Panther coaches, players and GM have been saying. 

SMH like a wet dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol

Physical tools are very important (size, arm length, distribution, hand size, etc) 

Yes you can and SHOULD separate physical tools from athletic tools because they are in fact different. 

Both are very important in sports. 

Get my drift?

Yeah, it all depends if they keep him at the same size, or try to bulk him up. 

Nonetheless, they could still try to use him like your description. 

However, with his acrobatics, anticipation and ball skills, it appears he may be used more as a wide out (especially if any of the young Panther TE's develop). They'll be key. 

We'll see?

jimmy graham is basically a wide out at the TE position.

in a perfect world kelvin would be a 2 borderline 1 with a speedster as essentially our number 1. it'll take more time for that.

i dont think KB needs to bulk up anymore he's already 255/260 and in amazing shape. just look at how the saints use graham and i could see something similar with KB. I want KB to be like Olsen, Cam's go to guy, safety net in crucial times where the pressure is coming and he can just throw it up....much like graham.

i still believe we need a traditional #1, don't think KB will live up to that and he certainly doesn't for the skill set he has.  poo i could be completely off here but thats kind of how i see him being. A WR/TE hybrid type of player.

Lol

Physical tools are very important (size, arm length, distribution, hand size, etc) 

Yes you can and SHOULD separate physical tools from athletic tools because they are in fact different. 

Both are very important in sports. 

Get my drift?

Give it up. You lost (for how many times)!?

I used to scout NBA prospects in another lifetime (I did actually), so your educating no one on attributes.  

I was stating, part of overall athleticism includes size. No one cares about your "athletic gifts", if you're not big enough to have impact and can be easily exploited. This is especially true with todays big WR's. They've only been getting bigger.  

It's the smaller WR's that need to have superior pure athleticism (such as Steve Smith, etc.) to get by. They need to at their size. This is what you miss with your fixation on combines. We're not talking about running back (where players have to be a relative height/low to the ground, or Defensive backs who have to cover up for mistakes running down the field), where measurable's may be more important, but nonetheless aren't always. 

When you're KB's size, you can get by on decent speed and jumping ability (notice I didn't say ""athleticism" as defined by you), especially when you're Strong, Acrobatic, Shifty and Agile. Those 4 attributes I just mentioned would make him a superior specimen (is that better "Specimen") when you combine it with his 6'5", 242lb profile. Once again, two go hand in hand, and/are one in the same (cause no once cars about your pure "athleticism" as you describe it, if you're too small).  Give it up!

You're all over the place man, and have hit bottom with the sharks and scavengers [now] picking at your rotten carcass of logic. 

The End. 

jimmy graham is basically a wide out at the TE position.

in a perfect world kelvin would be a 2 borderline 1 with a speedster as essentially our number 1. it'll take more time for that.

i dont think KB needs to bulk up anymore he's already 255/260 and in amazing shape. just look at how the saints use graham and i could see something similar with KB. I want KB to be like Olsen, Cam's go to guy, safety net in crucial times where the pressure is coming and he can just throw it up....much like graham.

i still believe we need a traditional #1, don't think KB will live up to that and he certainly doesn't for the skill set he has.  poo i could be completely off here but thats kind of how i see him being. A WR/TE hybrid type of player.

We'll see indeed. 

However, unless I'm mistaken, I think KB is listed at 242lbs, and I haven't heard anywhere that he's really 260lbs (like Cam for example) anywhere else. This is why I thought he'd be more a traditional big WR, such as a Brandon Marshall or AJ Green (not saying he's as good as those guys, just talking about how he'll be used in best case scenario). Otherwise, he can be utilized like Antoine Bolden or Plaxicio Burress in his heyday, as a receiver of course. 

We'll see indeed.

However, unless I'm mistaken, I think KB is listed at 242lbs, and I haven't heard anywhere that he's really 260lbs (like Cam for example) anywhere else. This is why I thought he'd be more a traditional big WR, such as a Brandon Marshall or AJ Green (not saying he's as good as those guys, just talking about how he'll be used in best case scenario). Otherwise, he can be utilized like Antoine Bolden or Plaxicio Burress in his heyday, as a receiver of course.

Must have misread that he said he was around 255/260. But he's lean like cam.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses and how they use him. Like dg said they have to put him in positions to succeed. This is cams first "toy". Cam will target him a lot if I had to guess. I'll try and find where he said his weight after the combine.

Give it up. You lost (for how many times)!?

I used to scout NBA prospects in another lifetime (I did actually), so your educating no one on attributes.  

I was stating, part of overall athleticism includes size. No one cares about your "athletic gifts", if you're not big enough to have impact and can be easily exploited. This is especially true with todays big WR's. They've only been getting bigger.  

It's the smaller WR's that need to have superior pure athleticism (such as Steve Smith, etc.) to get by. They need to at their size. This is what you miss with your fixation on combines. We're not talking about running back (where players have to be a relative height/low to the ground, or Defensive backs who have to cover up for mistakes running down the field), where measurable's may be more important, but nonetheless aren't always. 

When you're KB's size, you can get by on decent speed and jumping ability (notice I didn't say ""athleticism" as defined by you), especially when you're Strong, Acrobatic, Shifty and Agile. Those 4 attributes I just mentioned would make him a superior specimen (is that better "Specimen") when you combine it with his 6'5", 242lb profile. Once again, two go hand in hand, and/are one in the same (cause no once cars about your pure "athleticism" as you describe it, if you're too small).  Give it up!

You're all over the place man, and have hit bottom with the sharks and scavengers [now] picking at your rotten carcass of logic. 

The End. 

Lol smh

Physical tools and athletic tools are different. 

Let me break it down one last time for you

Physical Tools - size (height, weight, arm length, hand size, etc)

Athletic Tools - speed, quickness, strength, vertical, agility, etc

Yes people include and mix physical tools with athletic tools, which doesnt change the fact they are different. 

The end. 

Archived