• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Record crowd shows up to watch Jaguars rookie camp

people coming in droves to see the rookies: WR Allen Robinson, WR Marqise Lee and both Univ of Central Florida QB Blake Bortles and RB Storm Johnson (who led UCF to a BCS Bowl win over Big XII Champs Baylor)

Sports Illustrated:

"Jaguars fans came out in droves to watch the new players train last weekend, breaking not only the team’s previous rookie minicamp attendance record, but also shattering its (any) training camp attendance record.... Previously, the best-attended Jaguars training camp practice (of any kind) was seen by 4,500 people, way more than any previous rookie minicamp open to the public. But on Saturday, 6,800 people (showed up), a clear indication of how excited Jaguars fans are"

Jaguars.com:

"The lines extended half the length of EverBank an hour before the 1:10 practice, and kept growing as the silver bleachers inside filled. Then the areas around the bleachers filled. Then the standing area around the Field One end zone filled. Then Field Two. When that filled, the Jaguars had to close practice for a few minutes to create room down near Field Three.

“We didn’t want to turn anybody away, but we had to make adjustments for security purposes,” Naqi said. “It was awesome.” (Naqi is Jaguars senior vice president of fan engagement)

near the end of practice..the Jaguars moved the ropes that were keeping fans off Field Two and Three, allowing fans to pour onto Field Two for a better view of the team portion of practice. And pour they did. The immediate rush was frenetic and wild: hands waving, arms raised, cheers from the stands.

(Jags Head Coach Gus) Bradley pointed to a group of fans peeking through the fence that surrounded the practice facility: “Underneath the banners?” Bradley said, almost shouting. “Huh? How about that? The fans? Are you kidding? That is awesome.”

Jacksonville.com

“How about the fans?” said (Jags Head Coach Gus) Bradley. “I look and they’re all lined up underneath [the tarps on the fences]. I don’t know how many people were there, but what a credit to Shad [Khan, team owner], what a vision.”

“I’ve never seen anything like this before,” said Marqise Lee (who played in Los Angeles for the storied USC Trojans)

WJXT TV Jacksonville:

"I told the guys, 'Appreciate this,'" said (Jags Head Coach Gus) Bradley. "It feels good. I do know that." ...The attendance mark of 6,214 shattered the previous record of 2,378 fans at a rookie mini camp. It also broke the previous high for (any) training camp of 4,500 fans.

Fox Sports:

"It’s a new era in Jacksonville... More than 6,200 fans were in attendance for the final day of the two-day rookie minicamp, which is 4,000 more than any previous turnout in Jacksonville history"

from comments sections:

-To paraphrase: If you build it, they will come.

-I love this team so much

-I'm really excited for the future.

-I was there and I have not seen Jags fan excitement like this since the late 90s when the Jags were in the playoffs year after year with Coach Coughlin. I talked to a bunch of fellow fans there and everyone feels like the team has finally turned the corner after so many years of mediocrity and stinking. I looked at the field today and saw the future of the team and that future is bright.

-I was standing up front where the players and coaches walk though to the field and guess who walked right by me? Bill Parcells. We all were thinking "what the heck is he doing here."

-Their previous record was 10, so whatever above that is good.

I watched some draft thing the other day on NBC or CBS (who really gives a poo), it had Blakey Bort and Marquise among others..  My favorite part however was when Lees agent told him he was going to "the best team in Florida".  I nearly shat myself. 

Archived