• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurst Impressing

MedellinHeel

I never stated that there cant be a late rounder or UDFA that can be a good starter. It is obvious there will be late rounders that become great players in draft. I merely stated that based on our GM's evaluation there was only 5 guys who were better than what we currently have as OT. Would you perfer to reach and take a chance on one of those guys who might become a great starter? That was the point I was trying to make. 

I am not sure what your point is. I dont give a piss what our FO evaluations are. I only care about the bottom line ie hitting on picks and finding diamonds late or in UDFA. 

KB who was not considered  a reach could easily be a bust. 

What I would prefer is the FO knowing we need multiple OT's to put a ton of scouting into the OT prospects and FIND the players whether they be a known commodity 1-3 round grade prospects or late round gems that will have a nice career in the NFL. 

It is like me being paid to find good stock plays. You know there will be winners (nfl prospects). Its my job to find them. I cant use the excuse that from my evaluation I didnt see any. The boss is not gonna care or want to hear that. 

You know I really don't get college football "homers" fact is I hate college football, and couldn't see rooting for a college team in Carolina when our pro team is wonderful, also it confuses me when people defend a school that robbed them of so much money for necessary education, please can someone explain it ? (I seriously wanna know)

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

Sure there are late rounders that end up being great. But given the information you have NOW and watching those tapes there were only 5 OTs that could beat out Bell/Chandler. 

What you said is true but you can't really use it in a realistic manner. You don't know which late rounder or undrafted free agent will actually be a hit. You can only go on what you know now and draft accordingly.

Pretty spot on. We only had 5 OTs on our board, and they were all gone by our pick. It is only smart business to not waste a pick on an OT in that situation.

As far as I know. No one on the Huddle is aware of us giving, or not giving, Hurst, a UDFA contract. And we did bring in a few UDFA OTs, So saying we didn't even try to bring any in is just a swag. (Scientific wild azz guess).

You heard of scouting right? 

Two GM's can watch the same guy / tape and come away with different evaluations and projections. 

I can most certainly use it in a realistic manner because it happens every year. GM's finding and targeting guys late they believe to be undervalued and/or have considerable upside. 

No one knows "for sure" who is gonna be a hit, that goes for even 1st rounders. No different in the later rounds and in UDFA. 

You look who is available and find the best player / gems / people with upside and hope they work out. 

Almost every year there is atleast one OL drafted late or in UDFA who becomes a good starter. So to say there are only 5 OT's in this draft who are better than Bell/Chandler is most likely a false statement. 

The most likely reality of the situation is that there will be a late round OT and/or UDFA who becomes a good starter and our FO merely failed to scout / locate / draft / sign this player.

Let me see if I can state this in a way you will agree with. On our board there were only 5 OTs worth taking with a draft pick. By the time we got to pick, they were all gone. Our team was not going to waste a pick on a player who was not better than what we had.

There were about 100 picks in the first 3 rounds. Which is prime pick territory. After that there were almost 1300 kids either drafted, or picked up in UDFAs. Out of all those picks, a slim few will wind up being starting OTs. Those odds may work for you. But in the real world. Not so much.

We have a talent evaluator, and staff, that are very good at their jobs. They didn't see any OT talent worth investing in. But for some strange reason, we are supposed to believe that you know better.

Believe it or not. I am quite sure that Gman and Co. know we could use an upgrade at LT. They also know we have no money. Yet they felt good enough about what we have to only bring in a few OT prospects. Seems to me, they knew it was a waste of time trying to upgrade with what was left of the pool.

But by all means. Fret away. Some years just don't work the way we want them to work. For you and the OT, this was just such a year.

Let me see if I can state this in a way you will agree with. On our board there were only 5 OTs worth taking with a draft pick. By the time we got to pick, they were all gone. Our team was not going to waste a pick on a player who was not better than what we had.

There were about 100 picks in the first 3 rounds. Which is prime pick territory. After that there were almost 1300 kids either drafted, or picked up in UDFAs. Out of all those picks, a slim few will wind up being starting OTs. Those odds may work for you. But in the real world. Not so much.

We have a talent evaluator, and staff, that are very good at their jobs. They didn't see any OT talent worth investing in. But for some strange reason, we are supposed to believe that you know better.

Believe it or not. I am quite sure that Gman and Co. know we could use an upgrade at LT. They also know we have no money. Yet they felt good enough about what we have to only bring in a few OT prospects. Seems to me, they knew it was a waste of time trying to upgrade with what was left of the pool.

But by all means. Fret away. Some years just don't work the way we want them to work. For you and the OT, this was just such a year.

I know all about 5 on our board yada yada. 

If we can admit there will be one or more OTs we passed on that will have nice careers, then our scouting department did not do enough to find said player(s). Especially if Bell and Chandler struggle this year causing us not do as well as we could with a competent OL. 

This league like everything else in life is about results. You cant use the excuse well from our scouting we only saw x. That wont cut it. 

Archived