• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurst Impressing

MedellinHeel

that would go to the idea of drafting for the future. The pt specifically with Hurst is he was considered early round talent before the injury, that talent hasn't changed and there is no indication of diminished capacity once he has fully healed. He definitely has starting talent and I don't think it will be long before that is evident to all.

Honestly if that was the case based on your assessment it makes no sense why he went undrafted through 32 teams. 

It has to be something we don't know as fans when you look into Hurst. 

Either your right or the 32 other NFL teams dont know what they are doing.

If Hurst was a "1st round talent" or even a mid-round talent before his injury, then why did Brandon Thomas get drafted in the 3rd right after the torn ACL and Hurst went undrafted? It's obviously not just the injury.

This is all you need to know.   Brandon Thomas who will have to sit out the entire year only slid a round or two.  Hurst, who is basically recovered from injury and will be able to play this season, went undrafted.  Even without the injury, teams probably didn't view Hurst as more then a late round pick in that case.  Don't always believe the hype on ESPN about who's a 1st round talent, if everyone that they said was a "first round talent" was drafted in the first round, the draft would still be going this weekend.

Teams that can afford to will 'red shirt draft' an injured guy.  I don't honestly think the Panthers are in a place where they could do that right now so that would legitimately lessen the chances of our picking Hurst.

There are, however, plenty of other teams who were in a position to 'red shirt' him, and not a single one of them chose to.

That would tell me they didn't rate him as highly as some on here might think.

The fact that G-man didn't have to wager his draft on this guy, and could have acquired him with a late round pick is what makes some people scratch their heads. Furthermore, it wasn't necessarily about replacing Gross right away (even Gross wasn't a Pro Bowler early in his career), it was about drafting a late round pick that naturally played the specific position---a guy that before he got hurt graded out as a second or third rounder by most---to replace Byron Bell or Nate Chandler.  At the very least Hurst could have been in the mix, and if he didn't work out, then it's not like we would have had a whole lot invested.

I remember a 7th round pick at OT that I *loved*... Lee Ziemba.

As an Auburn guy, having watched Ziemba for his entire career, I just KNEW this consensus All-American, 1st team All-SEC, Jacobs Blocking Trophy (best blocker in the SEC) award winner was a fugging STEAL for the Panthers in the 2011 draft!  Hell, how did this guy I *knew* was a great OL drop so damn far? LOL! Stupid NFL GMs!!!

Yeah... nevermind.

Really? Because for the most part I just hear people talking about how much better our receiving corp is this year.

We have a very good #3, a slot receiver, and a rookie... that's it.

I haven't seen anything pointing out that this years WRs are "much better".

I have seen people compare (accurately IMO) this years WRs to lasts and point out that we are improved at that position.

sorry but yes he was.Never = at no time and that is completely incorrect as usual.Your consistency is admirable but cosistently wrong. "talent that you proclaim to I drafted" , what?

Yes, because 32 teams passed on a first round graded starting LT for 7 rounds just because of a simple broken leg. That is beyond comical.

Sure there are late rounders that end up being great. But given the information you have NOW and watching those tapes there were only 5 OTs that could beat out Bell/Chandler. 

What you said is true but you can't really use it in a realistic manner. You don't know which late rounder or undrafted free agent will actually be a hit. You can only go on what you know now and draft accordingly. 

You heard of scouting right? 

Two GM's can watch the same guy / tape and come away with different evaluations and projections. 

I can most certainly use it in a realistic manner because it happens every year. GM's finding and targeting guys late they believe to be undervalued and/or have considerable upside. 

No one knows "for sure" who is gonna be a hit, that goes for even 1st rounders. No different in the later rounds and in UDFA. 

You look who is available and find the best player / gems / people with upside and hope they work out. 

Almost every year there is atleast one OL drafted late or in UDFA who becomes a good starter. So to say there are only 5 OT's in this draft who are better than Bell/Chandler is most likely a false statement. 

The most likely reality of the situation is that there will be a late round OT and/or UDFA who becomes a good starter and our FO merely failed to scout / locate / draft / sign this player. 

I remember a 7th round pick at OT that I *loved*... Lee Ziemba.

As an Auburn guy, having watched Ziemba for his entire career, I just KNEW this consensus All-American, 1st team All-SEC, Jacobs Blocking Trophy (best blocker in the SEC) award winner was a fugging STEAL for the Panthers in the 2011 draft! Hell, how did this guy I *knew* was a great OL drop so damn far? LOL! Stupid NFL GMs!!!

Yeah... nevermind.

Me too! I loved Ziemba.

You heard of scouting right? 

Two GM's can watch the same guy / tape and come away with different evaluations and projections. 

I can most certainly use it in a realistic manner because it happens every year. GM's finding and targeting guys late they believe to be undervalued and/or have considerable upside. 

No one knows "for sure" who is gonna be a hit, that goes for even 1st rounders. No different in the later rounds and in UDFA. 

You look who is available and find the best player / gems / people with upside and hope they work out. 

Almost every year there is atleast one OL drafted late or in UDFA who becomes a good starter. So to say there are only 5 OT's in this draft who are better than Bell/Chandler is most likely a false statement. 

The most likely reality of the situation is that there will be a late round OT and/or UDFA who becomes a good starter and our FO merely failed to scout / locate / draft / sign this player. 

I never stated that there cant be a late rounder or UDFA that can be a good starter. It is obvious there will be late rounders that become great players in draft. I merely stated that based on our GM's evaluation there was only 5 guys who were better than what we currently have as OT. Would you perfer to reach and take a chance on one of those guys who might become a great starter? That was the point I was trying to make. 

Archived