• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurst Impressing

MedellinHeel

Only the top 5 OTs in the draft were going to make a difference on our team. DG stated that Chandler/Bell are better than the OTs after D James went to the Dolphins. 

I don't understand this picking OT in the later rounds. They obviously are not good enough to be in the starting lineup and will be used as depth at best. There are a ton of these decent to poor OTs just floating in free agency and undrafted guys. 

that would go to the idea of drafting for the future. The pt specifically with Hurst is he was considered early round talent before the injury, that talent hasn't changed and there is no indication of diminished capacity once he has fully healed. He definitely has starting talent and I don't think it will be long before that is evident to all.

that would be incorrect as we only had 6 picks and traded away a pick for a player who was going to be there when we drafted inolur regular slot.That just adds to the question of whether we should have drafted an OT in later rounds or not.

It is DG's fault because we needed an OT.

Your premise assumes that the future LT is not on the team already or won't be picked up through the rest of the preseason.  It isn't even June yet.  Why not save the bashing threads until later in the year when you actually have results upon which to bases your criticisms.  If you can be positive at this point in the year I doubt you ever will be.

Your premise assumes that the future LT is not on the team already or won't be picked up through the rest of the preseason.  It isn't even June yet.  Why not save the bashing threads until later in the year when you actually have results upon which to bases your criticisms.  If you can be positive at this point in the year I doubt you ever will be.

yes it does assume that which is what legitimizes the concerns. an outright bashing would be  criticizing without this assumption.This is not a a bashing it is a questioning of the direction  that we are going at OT  which is not premature because those questions clearly exist in th minds of many. I said i am giving the benefit of the doubt and waiting to see what happens but that doesn't change the question or dismiss the question outright. We have some results right now, the results of the Draft did not yield an OT that was clearly seen as a position of need.the results of trading up inlate rounds and giving away a pick that could have brought in a value pick of a starting OT talent in the late rounds.if that is negative to you then deal with it . it is clearly a legitimate concern in the real world.

Only the top 5 OTs in the draft were going to make a difference on our team. DG stated that Chandler/Bell are better than the OTs after D James went to the Dolphins. 

I don't understand this picking OT in the later rounds. They obviously are not good enough to be in the starting lineup and will be used as depth at best. There are a ton of these decent to poor OTs just floating in free agency and undrafted guys. 

This makes absolutely no sense. No one knows who will / can make a difference on any team regardless of where they are selected. 

You know how many late round players and UDFA's that are not only starting on teams but are actually good? No one thought they would be good or else they would have been picked higher. 

SMH at trying to make some absolute statement like that. 

that would go to the idea of drafting for the future. The pt specifically with Hurst is he was considered early round talent before the injury, that talent hasn't changed and there is no indication of diminished capacity once he has fully healed. He definitely has starting talent and I don't think it will be long before that is evident to all.

A simple broken leg would not drop Hurst from the first round talent that you proclaim to I drafted.

He was NEVER a high round talent.

His Highlights were average at best. Teams don't pass on high graded OT's just because of a broken leg, and they for sure don't pass him for 7 rounds to go undrafted. 

We're never gonna be fully comfortable with every position on the team. This is year one without Gross and hopefully we can expect a strong interior of the o-line with average tackles. Hurst wasn't gonna change that this year and as of now it's doubtful any tackle we could get will change that unless a rookie turns out to be unreal, in which case lucky for them and their team. Meanwhile we're still gonna win games and wait our turn for another dollar at tackle.. Eventually we'll have one and then we can complain about not addressing some other position that has fallen off!

A simple broken leg would not drop Hurst from the first round talent that you proclaim to I drafted.

He was NEVER a high round talent.

sorry but yes he was.Never = at no time and that is completely incorrect as usual.Your consistency is admirable but  cosistently wrong.  "talent that you proclaim to I drafted" , what?

We're never gonna be fully comfortable with every position on the team. This is year one without Gross and hopefully we can expect a strong interior of the o-line with average tackles. Hurst wasn't gonna change that this year and as of now it's doubtful any tackle we could get will change that unless a rookie turns out to be unreal, in which case lucky for them and their team. Meanwhile we're still gonna win games and wait our turn for another dollar at tackle.. Eventually we'll have one and then we can complain about not addressing some other position that has fallen off!

i agree Hurst was not going to make immediate impact which is why I think he fell out of the draft. What I have read is this year is basically a Redshirt year for him and his leg to get completely well. he might surprise and be ready but I don't think he will be ready to go a full season right away. the point is drafting for the future at OT and we did nort do that.

Why would you waste a Draft pick on a mediocre ot when you can make a phone call and have 10 mediocre ots lined up ready to go? Anyone with sense doesnt. They pick up the best available, affordable ot that gets cut from another and roll with them.

And for every udfa that works out, there are hundreds who dont.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Why would you waste a Draft pick on a mediocre ot when you can make a phone call and have 10 mediocre ots lined up ready to go? Anyone with sense doesnt. They pick up the best available, affordable ot that gets cut from another and roll with them.

And for every udfa that works out, there are hundreds who dont.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Hurst is not a mediocre which is the pt. his development may take a year or two but so will the results of this draft.

If Hurst was a "1st round talent" or even a mid-round talent before his injury, then why did Brandon Thomas get drafted in the 3rd right after the torn ACL and Hurst went undrafted? It's obviously not just the injury.

"not just the injury" is kind of vague.What do you mean? let's get it out there so when the time comes we can see if you were right. i say he has starting talent and will be a starter for the most part of his career.  What say you? I say the GM's missed on this one.

This makes absolutely no sense. No one knows who will / can make a difference on any team regardless of where they are selected. 

You know how many late round players and UDFA's that are not only starting on teams but are actually good? No one thought they would be good or else they would have been picked higher. 

SMH at trying to make some absolute statement like that. 

Sure there are late rounders that end up being great. But given the information you have NOW and watching those tapes there were only 5 OTs that could beat out Bell/Chandler. 

What you said is true but you can't really use it in a realistic manner. You don't know which late rounder or undrafted free agent will actually be a hit. You can only go on what you know now and draft accordingly. 

Archived