• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurst Impressing

MedellinHeel

This is the only time I have ever even brought up Hurst. I never mentioned him prior because I figured we would be drafting an OT early thus I was not concerned with late round OT's. 

Please feel free to link me all the times I brought up Hurst prior to this thread, which was more about DG's ignoring the OT position more so than Hurst. 

Although, I do think Hurst will have a nice career in the NFL and it was a mistake to pass on him late.

You have used Gman not drafting Hurst, or any OT for that matter, to imply that Gman and his staff are just not up to your standards. That is one of the "Opinions" that gets you ragged on. It is just to damm early to make such a sweeping statement.

Also. It is your refusal to even acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, a player from your beloved school was passed on in the draft by every team, then only given an offer by half of the teams. Something just does not add up for the kid.

Homerz gotta home. Just don't be surprised when folks don't bend to your whim.

So you are changing it to threads and not bringing up Hurst? Ok lol

Btw pretty sure I have only started two threads other than mock drafts. 

This one and the Bell thread. 

Feel free to link me all these threads I start everyday.

See, you get so defensive you can't even comprehend what I was saying.

I clearly stated that you do not start threads everyday. Geesh.

It is not so much that you have "Concerns". Hellz, most folks round here do. It is how you choose to express them that gets you into hot water.

We have a plethora of linemen already on the roster. Most are still young, and need to be evaluated. We have drafted, and brought in a few more, Most folks in the building can see the reasoning behind not adding to the glut.

The powers that be need to know what we have first. Otherwise trying to upgrade is pointless.

Lastly. Using the fact that your precious Tarheel did not get picked by Gman to downplay him and the scouting dept., now that is funny. Even you have to admit that one.

You have used Gman not drafting Hurst, or any OT for that matter, to imply that Gman and his staff are just not up to your standards. That is one of the "Opinions" that gets you ragged on. It is just to damm early to make such a sweeping statement.

Also. It is your refusal to even acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, a player from your beloved school was passed on in the draft by every team, then only given an offer by half of the teams. Something just does not add up for the kid.

Homerz gotta home. Just don't be surprised when folks don't bend to your whim.

I guess you missed the numerous times I said I think DG is gonna patch our OL come reg season so I am not in panic mood. 

As of right now DG is a very good GM, especially when it comes to contracts and finding gems in FA. 

Even with all the above said, I can and will get annoyed and concerned with various actions of our GM. 

Not sure why you keep bringing up Hurst as if I have been campaigning for him. Never even mentioned his name prior to this thread. This thread was more about our OT situation and possible fug ups with the draft, not Hurst specifically. 

As for everyone passing him and up 1/2 teams wanted him in UDFA so he must suck or what ever, that remains to be seen. Many players that have been passed on turned out to be good players. 

I don't want anyone to bend to my whim. We are all free to have and express our own opinions. 

When you put that many people who are barely literate together it's hard to be successful?

In all fairness, many programs provide tutors and special help to athletes to keep them eligible.  Part of the problem at UNC is that it is a difficult school academically.  Couple that with Butch Davis who bent all the rules and you have a mess.  

In all fairness, many programs provide tutors and special help to athletes to keep them eligible.  Part of the problem at UNC is that it is a difficult school academically.  Couple that with Butch Davis who bent all the rules and you have a mess.  

The problem with UNC had nothing to do with it being a difficult for the average student. it's that they went out of their way to make it easy for the athletes by committing academic fraud.

I guess you missed the numerous times I said I think DG is gonna patch our OL come reg season so I am not in panic mood. 

As of right now DG is a very good GM, especially when it comes to contracts and finding gems in FA. 

Even with all the above said, I can and will get annoyed and concerned with various actions of our GM. 

Not sure why you keep bringing up Hurst as if I have been campaigning for him. Never even mentioned his name prior to this thread. This thread was more about our OT situation and possible fug ups with the draft, not Hurst specifically. 

As for everyone passing him and up 1/2 teams wanted him in UDFA so he must suck or what ever, that remains to be seen. Many players that have been passed on turned out to be good players. 

I don't want anyone to bend to my whim. We are all free to have and express our own opinions.

First let me say that my intention was to just yank your chain. I believe I did a bad job of that. So I take responsibility for that.

Second, you seem to gloss over the fact that the powers that be like what they have in some of the youngsters on the Oline. Amini, Chandler, Kugz, and even Williams are kids they must evaluate. They have to find out if these kids can play. Drafting a replacement before you know what you have is a bad way to go.

Third. You complain about a lack of, or a flat ignoring of, attaining OT help. Then say you trust Gman to work things out. Can you say wishy-washy? lol

If you didn't want folks to bend to your way of thinking, you wouldn't spend so much time trying to convince them that you may be right.

IMO, Wharton did a fine job, for half a season. He petered out quick. We need Amini to be what we hope he can be. If he can, our interior line can be really good. Chandler may still be a question mark, but he has the athletic ability to be really good. So to me, all we really need is to solidify that last OT position. Even with Bell. We have the potential for a really good line.

But then again, I see a bright future. I see a team that can compete with anyone. Right now, as is.

First let me say that my intention was to just yank your chain. I believe I did a bad job of that. So I take responsibility for that.

Second, you seem to gloss over the fact that the powers that be like what they have in some of the youngsters on the Oline. Amini, Chandler, Kugz, and even Williams are kids they must evaluate. They have to find out if these kids can play. Drafting a replacement before you know what you have is a bad way to go.

Third. You complain about a lack of, or a flat ignoring of, attaining OT help. Then say you trust Gman to work things out. Can you say wishy-washy? lol

If you didn't want folks to bend to your way of thinking, you wouldn't spend so much time trying to convince them that you may be right.

IMO, Wharton did a fine job, for half a season. He petered out quick. We need Amini to be what we hope he can be. If he can, our interior line can be really good. Chandler may still be a question mark, but he has the athletic ability to be really good. So to me, all we really need is to solidify that last OT position. Even with Bell. We have the potential for a really good line.

But then again, I see a bright future. I see a team that can compete with anyone. Right now, as is.

Not so much of you yanking my chain, but merely you engaging me and me returning the favor. I am here to discuss sports which is what we are doing. 

Many a coach or GM liked a player or two and were flat wrong. I do not share their optimism. They could very well be right and I am just overly concerned for nothing. At the same time I could be right and the coaches and GM could be overconfident in their analysis. Only time will tell. For the record I hope I am wrong and they are right with regards to our OL.

Not so much wishy washy as it is just annoyance and impatience. It is like knowing you are getting a raise or moving to a better place but complaining in the mean time. It's normal human behavior. I expect DG but patch this up, but man it is in a way that worries me ie no FA or drafties up until now. 

I am not trying to convince anyone anything as I do not care if people share my views or not. I am merely gonna express my opinions and defend  / debate them. If someone changes their mind because of my opinion then great, if not no biggie. Would actually be a pretty boring place if everyone agreed. 

I am not worried about the interior of the line. Bell sucked at RT and Chandler is a complete question mark. No Gross and to anyone our OL situation is not looking good. 

I too see a bright future and a team that can compete with anyone right now. I do not however see us winning a SB with a less than average OL and offense. 

To be honest I am more concerned with our OC situation than OL. 

Last year we picked up Lester as a UDFA who surprisingly didn't get picked. You can't have em all.

Thats why if you want them and feel they can be a solid - good pro you draft them late and not risk anything. 

It is obvious the FO feels confident in what we have. Whether they are correct or misplaced will remain to be seen. 

Two questions.  Since no one drafted Hurst, why is it DG's fault he did the same.  I wonder what they all knew which made him drop?

Second, who said we didn't try and sign him to a UDFA contract after the draft.  We have our eyes on a bunch of guys and try to sign a bunch of them.  But they can go wherever they want to go.  So obviously Baltimore got him but it is far from unclear if the Panthers or any other teams may have made him an offer as well.  The only thing that is clear is that 32 teams had at least 7 chances to draft him and passed.

that would be incorrect as we only had 6 picks and traded away a pick for a player who was going to be there when we drafted inolur regular slot.That just adds to the question of whether we should have drafted an OT in later rounds or not.

It is DG's fault because we needed an OT.

Personally I don't see how people can be annoyed/concerned with actions of our GM. He clearly has the most information out of everybody here. He also has a team of coaches and scouts that gather a ton of information about players so he can make an informed decision. We don't have access to any of that information aside from games we occasionally see on tv.  

that would be incorrect as we only had 6 picks and traded away a pick for a player who was going to be there when we drafted inolur regular slot.That just adds to the question of whether we should have drafted an OT in later rounds or not.

It is DG's fault because we needed an OT.

Only the top 5 OTs in the draft were going to make a difference on our team. DG stated that Chandler/Bell are better than the OTs after D James went to the Dolphins. 

I don't understand this picking OT in the later rounds. They obviously are not good enough to be in the starting lineup and will be used as depth at best. There are a ton of these decent to poor OTs just floating in free agency and undrafted guys. 

Archived