• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurst Impressing

MedellinHeel

I get what you're saying. i admit I was being a smartass, but in my opinion it's also being a smartass to tell someone that a thread is not worth creating when said thread has hundreds of views with people having a discussion about it.

I admit that saying that a thread topic is not worth discussing is not conducive to positivity which is my fault. But I didn't mean harm with it. I just think that with so many teams passing over hurst that they must see what I see. I just think it's a little early for the OP to be gloating about Hurst impressing. 

I admit that saying that a thread topic is not worth discussing is not conducive to positivity which is my fault. But I didn't mean harm with it. I just think that with so many teams passing over hurst that they must see what I see. I just think it's a little early for the OP to be gloating about Hurst impressing. 

To be fair, i wouldn't necessarily say he was "gloating" as much as expressing an opinion that has arguably been discussed ad nauseum, but to me it comes with the territory (especially this time of year). That being said, our little beef is quashed on my end.  It's all good.

Wow, who knew a player that isn't even a panther could have fans on here as bad as ae's?

I've admitted that I was floored that Hurst wasn't drafted - but please do not lump me together with the other Heels fans who think this guy is going to be the next Jeff Saturday. 

I've admitted that I was floored that Hurst wasn't drafted - but please do not lump me together with the other Heels fans who think this guy is going to be the next Jeff Saturday.

I'm a UNC fan too. I think he will be an OK nfl player but I don't think he would have made much difference to the panthers this year.

I don't know who the Panthers' regional scout is/are - but I can assure you that they are probably more familiar with Hurst than any other NFL regional scout in the country. There hasn't been much to scout from in North Carolina regarding NCAA football. The scout could probably just get a hotel up in Chapel Hill during football season.

There's only 3 teams in the Carolinas that legitimately put out consistent NFL talent. UNC, Clemson, and South Carolina.

Adding to this, we did draft Tre Boston. Gotta think the same scouts took a look at Hurst. Pretty sure due diligence was performed.

Adding to this, we did draft Tre Boston. Gotta think the same scouts took a look at Hurst. Pretty sure due diligence was performed.

Yup and just to clarify when I said "North Carolina" I wasn't referring to school. I was referring to state. UNC is the premiere football school in the state and like I said, the pro scouting job for the Panthers in this region (not sure exactly what that region's boundaries are) has got to be pretty easy. It would basically, I imagine, consist of driving the 2 hours to Chapel Hill, the 2 hours to Clemson, the 1 hour to Columbia, and the 2.5 hours to Blacksburg. Maybe even the 3.5 hour drive to Morgantown, WV. 

I can assure everyone reading this thread that the Panthers had plenty of information on James Hurst and Tre Boston. They probably had more information than they needed because there isn't a lot of elite college football to scout in the state of NC aside from what's going on Chapel Hill. 

the draft is over but not the results and that is what we are talking about. None of what you said changes anything about that.

Gettleman's legacy will not be judged on whether or not he drafted James Hurst.  It will be on how many games/championships we win.  He will continue to make adjustments to our roster, and he will fill our holes.  He has shown an incredible knack for judging and acquiring talent.  Two years from now, no one on this board will give two fugs about James Hurst.

Yup and just to clarify when I said "North Carolina" I wasn't referring to school. I was referring to state. UNC is the premiere football school in the state and like I said, the pro scout(s) for the Panthers in this region (not sure exactly what that region's boundaries are) has got to be pretty easy. It would basically, I imagine, consist of driving the 2 hours to Chapel Hill, the 2 hours to Clemson, the 1 hour to Columbia, and the 2.5 hours to Blacksburg.

I can assure everyone reading this thread that the Panthers had plenty of information on James Hurst and Tre Boston. They probably had more information than they needed because there isn't a lot of elite college football to scout in the state of NC aside from what's going on Chapel Hill.

As a State alum I agree albeit sadly. Understood your comments and agreed completely. Was just adding my .02.

I'm a UNC fan too. I think he will be an OK nfl player but I don't think he would have made much difference to the panthers this year.

LIke I said I was surprised he wasn't drafted. Like, really surprised. I was surprised to see Tre go in the 4th, too. But as I mentioned earlier I can assure everyone that the Panthers probably had more info on the UNC players than they needed. You gotta trust his judgement on this, at least for now.

IIRC, Gettleman also switched his national scouting services to the one he used while with NYG. 

As a State alum I agree albeit sadly. Understood your comments and agreed completely. Was just adding my .02.

Yup, and Raleigh is what..a 25 minute ride to CH? So I'm kinda lumping them into the equation too. I mean seriously, the regional guys for the Panthers basically wouldn't need to leave CH during college FB season unless they were traveling to VT, Clem, or SC. Hell, ECU can put out a 5th or 6th rounder every now and then and Greenville is only like an hour ride from CH. 

But as I've stated on here 100X this is a basketball state and always will be. The talent in the state is better than it used to be and an argument could be made nationally that the HS football in the state (especially in Charlotte) is underrated big time. But sadly the elite prospects leave and go to greener pastures like UGA, FSU, Tenn, etc. Can't really say I blame them and people  prob feel the same way when elite basketball prospects leave their homestates (like Indiana, Iowa, Florida) to come play college basketball in North Carolina. 

So, UNC homers are this offseason's "colorful characters."

Meh, More entertaining than irrational Cam haters and Armanti apologists at this point. Seriously, someone make one up with the username "Butt Hurst." That would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived