• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Poll: 9th Pick

MedellinHeel

9th Pick  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want Cha to draft at 9 and why?

^^ bigger than most SG. 

can shoot over them or post them up. 

Can't handle the ball.

Wasn't a perimeters player in college so doesn't have the skill sets of one.

Couldn't guard any of them.

Would be the slowest player running the wings ever.  So that takes away from our fast break offense. 

Could you actually see him trying to check a Kobe, Wade, Hardin type player.

Takes away from our Big Al post up game.

Matt Carroll has a better chance at SG now then he does. 

Not really Steph had a set position where he had advantages over other players already in the league.

He had PG skill sets and was going to be 1 of the taller guards in the league.  And the major difference is Curry could create his own shot.

You can't sit here and say McDermott has any advantage over any SG, SF, and PF.

Not really.  Many thought that he couldn't be an effective PG in the NBA and would be a small 2 rather than a 1.  NBADraft.net said:

Far below NBA standard in regard to explosivenes and athleticism … At 6-2, he’s extremely small for the NBA shooting guard position, and it will likely keep him from being much of a defender at the next level … Although he’s playing point guard this year, he’s not a natural point guard that an NBA team can rely on to run a team

Draft Express indirectly talked about him being a tweener as well even though they had him listed as a PG and had concerns how his game would translate

Projecting him to the next level, Curry is an interesting case. He’s likely to do a lot of his damage in spot up situations in the NBA, but got only 8.9% of his possessions off of spot ups last seasons. He’s not likely to use a lot of one-on-one possessions, but he used 8.6 per game last season (1st). Averaging 8.3 isolations per game (68.3% Left), Curry probably won’t sniff half that number next season. In terms of guard play, his 41% shooting in transition ranks second to last, showing how hard he was pressing to score, but his 1.3 PPP on the pick and roll is excellent—which leaves a lot of room for optimism. He did use 2.6 possessions per game as a jump shooter running off of screens, so he does have a nice base of experience there, but it is notable how far apart Curry’s role in the NCAA was from the role he is likely to play in the NBA.

IGM

Stephen Curry is a difficult choice for a general manager with point guard needs to fulfill.  His lack of athleticism, body size and weight will lead many front office execs to consider that Curry is not built for the NBA.

There is no doubt, however, that Curry could be an effective role player, probably faster than J.J. Reddick whose college career is comparable.

So I don't really agree with you that he had a set position or that he had a physical advantage, at least according to some of the so called draft experts.  I personally was very high on Steph coming out. 

I am not as sold on McDermott as I was Steph, but I think if he can play some 4 he could be a good get.  I share your concerns about his height as a PF or defense as a SF, but to compare him to Morrison is pretty unfair.

Not really.  Many thought that he couldn't be an effective PG in the NBA and would be a small 2 rather than a 1.  NBADraft.net said:

Draft Express indirectly talked about him being a tweener as well even though they had him listed as a PG and had concerns how his game would translate

IGM

So I don't really agree with you that he had a set position or that he had a physical advantage, at least according to some of the so called draft experts.  I personally was very high on Steph coming out. 

I am not as sold on McDermott as I was Steph, but I think if he can play some 4 he could be a good get.  I share your concerns about his height as a PF or defense as a SF, but to compare him to Morrison is pretty unfair.

Since you are posting scouting reports. Post Morrison's and McDermott's and see how similar they are.

McDermott kind of reminds me of kyle korver. I have nothing to back that up but he just does. Would you be OK with kyle korver at pick 9? I wouldn't.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Since you are posting scouting reports. Post Morrison's and McDermott's and see how similar they are.

They aren't the same player so what is the point?

Should we make determinations on players based on cross referencing former scouting reports and marking off the list people who had similar scouting reports to other players who weren't as successful?

They don't even have the same game as one another.

Please give me a list of all the 6'7 starting PF in the league. 

Like somebody said in this thread the best he can be is Boris Diaw.

Problem with that is Boris was a point foward with good ball handling and passing skills to make up for his poor board work and bad defense. Plus Boris is a bench player who wants a bench player at 9 this year. We should be able to get a starter or at least a future starter.

McDermott kind of reminds me of kyle korver. I have nothing to back that up but he just does. Would you be OK with kyle korver at pick 9? I wouldn't.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I don't think he has the ball handling ability or perimenter skills of Kyle Korver and No I wouldn't want Kyle Korver at 9. 

Was he even a top 15 pick when he came out?

They aren't the same player so what is the point?

Should we make determinations on players based on cross referencing former scouting reports and marking off the list people who had similar scouting reports to other players who weren't as successful?

They don't even have the same game as one another.

They have the same problem.  Mismatches defensively not able to create their own shot on the offensive side of the court.

Please give me a list of all the 6'7 starting PF in the league. 

Like somebody said in this thread the best he can be is Boris Diaw.

Problem with that is Boris was a point foward with good ball handling and passing skills to make up for his poor board work and bad defense. Plus Boris is a bench player who wants a bench player at 9 this year. We should be able to get a starter or at least a future starter.

He is 6'8 with his shoes on so he isn't that much shorter than many NBA players who are listed at shoe height.

If you look at this draft and defined positions by everyone's position by height without their shoes on:

Julius Randle- 6'7 SF

Noah Vonleh- 6'8 Tweener

Aaron Gordon 6'7 SF

Examples from years past of heights without shoes:

Paul Milsap 6'6

Shawn Marion 6'6

Kenneth Faried 6'6

Larry Johnson 6'5

Josh Smith 6'7

Popeye Jones 6'7

Devin Booker 6'7

Kevin Love 6'7

He is 6'8 with his shoes on so he isn't that much shorter than many NBA players who are listed at shoe height.

If you look at this draft and defined positions by everyone's position by height without their shoes on:

Julius Randle- 6'7 SF

Noah Vonleh- 6'8 Tweener

Aaron Gordon 6'7 SF

Paul Milsap 6'6

Shawn Marion 6'6

Kenneth Faried 6'6

Larry Johnson 6'5

Josh Smith 6'7

Popeye Jones 6'7

Devin Booker 6'7

Kevin Love 6'7

He's 6-7 In shoes. Plus he isn't a great leaper like half the guys you listed, plus he doesn't have ball handling skills. He's not strong enough or athletic enough to bang inside... Nor is he quick enough to guard 3's. He's a bench player with no position In the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Julius Randle- 6'7 SF

Noah Vonleh- 6'8 Tweener

Aaron Gordon 6'7 SF

Paul Milsap 6'6

Shawn Marion 6'6

Kenneth Faried 6'6

Larry Johnson 6'5

Josh Smith 6'7

Popeye Jones 6'7

Devin Booker 6'7

Kevin Love 6'7

Doug McDermott6' 6.25"6' 7.75"2186' 9.25"

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz32yJWhsAQ

http://www.draftexpress.com

6'6 without shoes 6'7 .5 with them with a 6'9 wingspan.

Now show the other with shoes and wingspan.

He's 6-7 In shoes. Plus he isn't a great leaper like half the guys you listed, plus he doesn't have ball handling skills. He's not strong enough or athletic enough to bang inside... Nor is he quick enough to guard 3's. He's a bench player with no position In the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I guess being supremely athletic doesn't count as a difference.

He measured at 6'7.75 in shoes, so essentially 6'8. Even the link you gave lists him at 6'8 PF

I just gave a list of PFs who measured 6'7 or smaller without shoes. Players are listed at height in shoes. 6'8 I agree is smaller than you would like for a PF but he will create his own matchup problems for teams when on offense with Big Al at C.

He actually moves his feet well for a PF. And he plays well off the ball defensively. As long as he can move his feet and position himself well, forcing opposing PF to settle for contested jumpers he will be fine.

Archived