• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For you people that are ok with Bell starting

MedellinHeel

Agreed!

it can be that way, but i think that's rare. it all depends on natural stances and, to a huge degree, talent. gross was able to switch back and forth between the two, but he wasn't the norm.

LT and RT are not interchangeable the way people tend to think anymore than OG and OT are. there are players who are natural fits at either side. 

it's entirely possible and completely understandeable that bell would struggle as an RT  but would do better at  much more natural position of LT. that isn't to say that he'll be good or even not suck....just that he might not suck so bad at LT as he did at RT. that's also to say that he is what we need at LT or that he will be serviceable. 

i have very little faith that he will be alright there, but i'm completely open to the possibility that i could be wrong about him and i kind of hope i am because considering the lack of effort to upgrade OT, we might be stuck and i'd much rather be wrong and him do well than right and have him cost us the season.

it goes back to some of the original responses in this thread.  no one is saying it's not an issue. no one is making light of it. they're just rolling woth it because, again i ask, what are they supposed to do? just because they aren't reacting the way that you have been doesn't mean they have homer goggles are. what. they are doing is acting like people who have been here before and who know we've been through much worse dilemmas tan this and who know that things likely will work themselves out?

you are making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be and to make matters worse, you are projecting blind homerism onto everyone who isn't reacting like you. 

and if you think we're still going to win 10 games this year, then is it really all that big of a deal? all we need is to be good enough to get into the playoffs. who is playing OT for us won't be the thing that decides our fate.

I am not talking about the ppl you describe. I am talking about the ppl saying Bell is not bad and that he will do better on the left side blah blah. Bell is bad and we don't have a clue how he will do on the left side. Air on the side of caution and assume he will be bad on either side until proven otherwise. 

Dont know about you but I am hoping / aiming for a superbowl. 10 wins and making the playoffs is fine I guess if that is all your hoping for or expect. Having a bad OL will make winning a superbowl difficult imo. 

I went through this entire thread and not a single person has even remotely suggested that Byron Bell is "good."

Despite your best efforts to prove otherwise, the sky is not falling.

Your constant bitching about the subject is obnoxious at best. The majority of the Huddle does not believe that Byron Bell is a good NFL player but just like Jimmy Clausen, we'll get through this. However, it might be without you as you seem to feel very sure that everyone else thinks that he's good enough when in actuality we've already learned to trust our GM after he turned what folks were calling preseason a patchwork team into a 12-4 NFC South Division Champion.

But I'm sure you're much more informed than Gettleman. He needs to "feel the hot seat" according to you.

Not sure how the seat can get any hotter with that fupa of his, but I'm sure he'll go out of his way to appease you.

It has taken every ounce of my being to not absolutely poo into your soul. I'm proud of myself.

Horowitz.jpg

Unless we got one of the top OTs in the draft we do not need an OT. They drafted an OG. That addressed it. How so? Trai Turner allows the Panthers to put Gary Williams back at RT and they can bump Kugbila out to RT as well.

Nate Chandler is the Panthers future LT. Chandler was the project the Panthers were fast tracking to replace Jordan Gross at LT. They were planning on putting him at LT come 2015, but he is pushed into play now with Gross retiring.

Nate Chandler and Byron Bell competing for LT. Chandler wins.

Byron Bell, Gary Williams, and Edmund Kugbila competing for RT. Kugbila wins.

If everyone is healthy, you will see LT-Chandler, LG-Silatolu, C-Kalil, RG-Turner, RT-Kugbila

This OL combo gives the Panthers an extremely strong run blocking OL across the board and two OTs who will hold up well against speed rushers.

This gives the Panthers depth with Byron Bell, Gary Williams, and Chris Scott. These 8 will be your opening day OL roster. I could see David Foucault or Oscar Johnson impressing in preseason and the Panthers releasing Chris Scott.

Not to mention.. if I may inject a little bit of *gasp* optimism here. What if, just saying maybe, possibly, what if Nate Chandler works out as a solid LT. We basically just got a LT for free. That's huge right there.

Not to mention.. if I may inject a little bit of *gasp* optimism here. What if, just saying maybe, possibly, what if Nate Chandler works out as a solid LT. We basically just got a LT for free. That's huge right there.

Yeah it'll be huge if he becomes a solid LT for us, same could be said if Kug or Williams plays RT. would be playing for peanuts

I went through this entire thread and not a single person has even remotely suggested that Byron Bell is "good."

Despite your best efforts to prove otherwise, the sky is not falling.

Your constant bitching about the subject is obnoxious at best. The majority of the Huddle does not believe that Byron Bell is a good NFL player but just like Jimmy Clausen, we'll get through this. However, it might be without you as you seem to feel very sure that everyone else thinks that he's good enough when in actuality we've already learned to trust our GM after he turned what folks were calling preseason a patchwork team into a 12-4 NFC South Division Champion.

But I'm sure you're much more informed than Gettleman. He needs to "feel the hot seat" according to you.

Not sure how the seat can get any hotter with that fupa of his, but I'm sure he'll go out of his way to appease you.

It has taken every ounce of my being to not absolutely poo into your soul. I'm proud of myself.

Horowitz.jpg

Lol cute pic. 

DG on the hot seat? I am very high on him. Hence why I am not overly worried about our OL. I think he will patch things up. 

Our OC situation on the other hand....

that's ehat ime hoping.

But I guess it's not good to act like we have good coaches.

It's better to declare the worse. Lol

At this point, Bell doesn't even need to be good, just serviceable. We can do a total re-tool next year at the tackle position by addressing the position in free agency and in the draft.

If Shula is smart then screens and slants will be our bread and butter this year. Not only are they good routes for a team with a poor offensive line, but who is going to be able to cover a 6'5" wide receiver on a quick slant... the answer is no one just in case you were wondering.

on May 20, the Charlotte Observer projected our two-deep as:

LT: Byron Bell, Nate Chandler

LG: Amini Silatolu, Edmund Kugbila

C: Ryan Kalil, Trai Turner

RG: Chris Scott, Trai Turner

RT: Nate Chandler, Garry Williams

Rotoworld wrote:

"Carolina's entire offensive line situation is a major concern....Nate Chandler currently sits atop the Panthers' depth chart at right tackle...Chandler ended up playing 590 offensive snaps at left tackle, right tackle, and right guard in 2013. He got destroyed in pass protection but proved to be a decent run blocker. Veteran Garry Williams will compete with Chandler....OG Chris Scott (is projected as the starting RG) for 2014. Scott appeared in 10 games last season, making eight starts. He struggled mightily as a run blocker, and is best suited to a reserve role....as a rookie, Amini Silatolu struggled as a pass protector while making 15 starts. Then he blew out his knee three games into the 2013 season. He'll be a question mark along with potential left tackle Byron Bell...The Panthers arguably have the worst offensive line in the NFL right now."

on May 20, the Charlotte Observer projected our two-deep as:

LT: Byron Bell, Nate Chandler

LG: Amini Silatolu, Edmund Kugbila

C: Ryan Kalil, Trai Turner

RG: Chris Scott, Trai Turner

RT: Nate Chandler, Garry Williams

Rotoworld wrote:

"Carolina's entire offensive line situation is a major concern....Nate Chandler currently sits atop the Panthers' depth chart at right tackle...Chandler ended up playing 590 offensive snaps at left tackle, right tackle, and right guard in 2013. He got destroyed in pass protection but proved to be a decent run blocker. Veteran Garry Williams will compete with Chandler....OG Chris Scott (is projected as the starting RG) for 2014. Scott appeared in 10 games last season, making eight starts. He struggled mightily as a run blocker, and is best suited to a reserve role....as a rookie, Amini Silatolu struggled as a pass protector while making 15 starts. Then he blew out his knee three games into the 2013 season. He'll be a question mark along with potential left tackle Byron Bell...The Panthers arguably have the worst offensive line in the NFL right now."

thank god this coming season isn't based on last.

Archived