• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My gripe with Kemba

MedellinHeel

coaches fault for not having them out there and having a balanced teamed.

but we did have capable shooters on our roster.

and CDR played quite a bit when Hendo or Neal got hurt.

Yeah and CDR played really well when Hendo was out and as a team we went 3-2 including a big win over Indiana. However, in four of those five games McBob couldn't hit a three going a combined 4-15 (26%).

I still maintain that McBob and Kemba aren't a good fit, Kemba needs a four that will float a little closer to the basket (i.e. Monroe).

First off, you can be a product of someone else because LBJ made that otherwise awful Cavaliers team a contender. There is a reason that Jamison and the rest of that Cavs team fell off after Bron left.

All of you guys want the best players in the NBA but you fail to realize that we are a small market team, you can't afford to get rid of players that want to be here.

As far as Kemba being the same as Reggie Jackson, there is no basis or foundation with that statement because Kemba isn't playing with one of the two best players in the entire world along with a very good perimeter team.

Overall, this is a verym opinionated post founded in no facts.

I've continually brought facts to the discussion and you've continually ignored them.

I've said provide him with perimeter help, you said he has Henderson. Henderson is not perimeter help, in fact Chuck you are one of the guys that has continuously said that Henderson sucks.

Oh and by the way, Kemba's team has a winning record over those three point guards that you listed, so I guess he's doing something right.

Finally, we don't need Kemba to be a star, we need him to be exactly what he is a very good starting point guard.

I've never in this argument bragged about Hendo. It's the other guy!!! Not me. Get it right.

The team's balancing issue is because of Jefferson. They can't get rid of MKG because of him, so you loose a shooter on the floor. McRoberts is starting because of the teams ball movement issues.

Ball movement issue start with your point....

Hendo shouldn't be starting either next to Kemba if you need MKG in the lineup.

I've said it a few times already, keeping Jefferson means keeping MKG.

Keeping Kemba means keeping McRoberts.

Odd man out and only spot upgradable is Hendo at 2.

with Kemba starting you have a ceiling of a 6-8th seed that looses in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

The team's balancing issue is because of Jefferson. They can't get rid of MKG because of him, so you loose a shooter on the floor. McRoberts is starting because of the teams ball movement issues.

Ball movement issue start with your point....

Hendo shouldn't be starting either next to Kemba if you need MKG in the lineup.

I've said it a few times already, keeping Jefferson means keeping MKG.

Keeping Kemba means keeping McRoberts.

Odd man out and only spot upgradable is Hendo at 2.

with Kemba starting you have a ceiling of a 6-8th seed that looses in the first round.

MKG doesn't have to be in the starting line-up, Luol Deng who is a very capable scorer and defender would be a perfect fit for the Hornets.

Secondly, McRoberts and Kemba do not mesh at all, they both need the ball in their hands to succeed which creates a huge problem spacing issue because it leaves us with no other inside presence except for Jefferson.

If we really want to build a team like the Pacers have built then we need to acquire Afflalo and sign Monroe and Deng.

It requires us going into the tax but in the long run it will help us drastically.

MKG doesn't have to be in the starting line-up, Luol Deng who is a very capable scorer and defender would be a perfect fit for the Hornets.

Secondly, McRoberts and Kemba do not mesh at all, they both need the ball in their hands to succeed which creates a huge problem spacing issue because it leaves us with no other inside presence except for Jefferson.

If we really want to build a team like the Pacers have built then we need to acquire Afflalo and sign Monroe and Deng.

It requires us going into the tax but in the long run it will help us drastically.

McRoberts is starting because of his ball handling and passing ability. They don't like the ball movement with him out of the lineup.

Not going to get all three of those players. Néed a stretch 4 to pair with Al... Affalo would take two first round picks and a player to get....

Deng isn't going to come here

McRoberts is starting because of his ball handling and passing ability. They don't like the ball movement with him out of the lineup.

Not going to get all three of those players. Néed a stretch 4 to pair with Al... Affalo would take two first round picks and a player to get....

Deng isn't going to come here

- Monroe is capable shooter, he's not a stretch four but he was able to space the floor pretty well from what I could tell. To be honest, he plays like a much more controlled version of Cody Zeller.

The Magic are selling Afflalo, he was being shopped during the season. I still maintain that Henderson, Biyombo, and a first would get it done.

- McRoberts is starting because he's our best option, Zeller obviously isn't ready.

- Why would Deng not come where the money is?

I don't think you are placing any faith in Clifford to be honest with you. He's gotten the best out of every player he's coached and he's found ways to get players to adapt.

If you tear the team down now, then we're going to be a bottom dweller for at least the next five to ten years because that requires getting rid of everyone on the roster save Al Jefferson and if you do that Al isn't going to re-sign here.

We made our decision to build through free agency so if that requires us spending into the tax to be competitive then so be it.

The point is, there is no going back. You can argue it all you want but it's obvious what the organization is trying to do by showing interest in Afflalo and Monroe. Al and Kemba are the the foundation, now it's time to build on them.

- Monroe is capable shooter, he's not a stretch four but he was able to space the floor pretty well from what I could tell. To be honest, he plays like a much more controlled version of Cody Zeller.

The Magic are selling Afflalo, he was being shopped during the season. I still maintain that Henderson, Biyombo, and a first would get it done.

- McRoberts is starting because he's our best option, Zeller obviously isn't ready.

- Why would Deng not come where the money is?

I don't think you are placing any faith in Clifford to be honest with you. He's gotten the best out of every player he's coached and he's found ways to get players to adapt.

Monroe just clogs the paint more for Kemba and his best quality.... Deng isn't a consistent shooter from outside... Why even pay the money for that.... Affalo is the only player I've seen mentioned that makes sense and would seriously upgrade the team..... (He's going to cost a ton to get though)

Al with all his offense, still cramps the lineup possibilities because of his defense, Kemba isn't the type of PG you want on the floor with two bigs playing the paint. He just doesn't fit any vision I can see this team going in.

They can't replace MKG with just a shooter and they can't replace McRoberts with just anyone either. They both have to fit a mold to make the offense work, There's just not a ton of quality stretch 4's in the NBA that fit what Clifford's Orlando/Howard system works with.

You need all 4 other players to be good passer's and shooters in that system, but because of AL...you have to gimp that system to fit a defensive stopper on the court and I can't think of too many defensive stoppers that can shoot the three consistently that will be available and Deng doesn't fit that at all...

Kemba is a below average shooter period and he was like that in College, so he doesn't fit the system either...

It's just a convoluted mess of miss-match players that don't fit together at all. There's really no way to fix it either...

The team is just built poorly starting from the Bench through a below average starting lineup. The team just doesn't have the assets to fix the problems it faces.

The best case scenario for the team is MKG develops a jumpshot and reliable three in the same offseason. lol

Even if you get those three players, the team's still going to have horrible ball movement (it is seriously the reason that McRoberts starts and if you watch press conferences, you'd have heard it all season long) They don't like the ball movement with him out of the lineup, All kemba has ever done in his career (counting college) is drive or shoot mid range shots... His passing numbers have always been horrible.

Monroe just clogs the paint more for Kemba and his best quality.... Deng isn't a consistent shooter from outside... Why even pay the money for that.... Affalo is the only player I've seen mentioned that makes sense and would seriously upgrade the team..... (He's going to cost a ton to get though)

Al with all his offense, still cramps the lineup possibilities because of his defense, Kemba isn't the type of PG you want on the floor with two bigs playing the paint. He just doesn't fit any vision I can see this team going in.

They can't replace MKG with just a shooter and they can't replace McRoberts with just anyone either. They both have to fit a mold to make the offense work, There's just not a ton of quality stretch 4's in the NBA that fit what Clifford's Orlando/Howard system works with.

You need all 4 other players to be good passer's and shooters in that system, but because of AL...you have to gimp that system to fit a defensive stopper on the court and I can't think of too many defensive stoppers that can shoot the three consistently that will be available and Deng doesn't fit that at all...

Kemba is a below average shooter period and he was like that in College, so he doesn't fit the system either...

It's just a convoluted mess of miss-match players that don't fit together at all. There's really no way to fix it either...

The team is just built poorly starting from the Bench through a below average starting lineup. The team just doesn't have the assets to fix the problems it faces.

The best case scenario for the team is MKG develops a jumpshot and reliable three in the same offseason. lol

Even if you get those three players, the team's still going to have horrible ball movement (it is seriously the reason that McRoberts starts and if you watch press conferences, you'd have heard it all season long) They don't like the ball movement with him out of the lineup, All kemba has ever done in his career (counting college) is drive or shoot mid range shots... His passing numbers have always been horrible.

I don't think you've watched Monroe much if you think he just clogs the paint. He has a consistent jumper from 18 feet and he also provides another inside presence when Al needs a break.

I agree that you can't replace MKG with just another offensive player but I disagree with the notion that McRoberts can't be replaced. It's by no accident that when McRoberts has a good game Kemba struggles or when Kemba has a good game McRoberts struggles. Both need the ball in their hands to succeed and unfortunately only one can be the floor general and that is Kemba.

Also eventually we're going to have to sacrifice some defense for offense. You win by putting 100+ points on the board not by limiting the team you're playing against to 90 points per game. If you need an example, just look at the Spurs (however they also have a solid defense). Al has gotten a lot better on the defensive end due to staying home, and if that's what he has to do to be a successful defender then so be it; but we can't continue to put a defense heavy line-up out there and expect to win. Once again you're showing a lack of faith in Cliffford and what has accomplished by getting players to adapt. We also don't need Deng to be able to shoot the three, we just need him to able to take shots. MKG is so afraid to shoot that he doesn't even draw an assignment which makes it tougher for Al to operate in the paint and tougher for Kemba to drive.

Also we obviously watched a different Kemba in college because he shot over 40% from the field EVERY year at UCONN, his shot didn't go away; his help went away. He's literally the only back-court player that can score. The funny part is that he usually knocks down his open shots, he just has to force up so many bad shots because McRoberts is the only other player out there that can consistently hit a three and he's usually on the complete opposite side of the floor from Kemba thus providing no help when it comes to drawing the defense. If you put Kemba on the same side of the floor as McBob, you might see a spike in success as long as McBob understands his role as a spot-up shooter. If a Kemba drives and McBobs man helps, kick it out; if he stays then take it to the hoop.

Kemba came a long way this year and he proved he can be a facilitator when he dropped 16 dimes in a game. The average fan looks at the box score and sees only five assists for Kemba, but what they fail to realize is that Henderson went 5-14 which wiped out what could have been another three assists for Kemba. Watch the games man... Kemba moves the ball, we just don't capitalize.

Finally having McRoberts as your facilitator is not wise because that usually has him passing the ball to Kemba with three seconds on the clock left in which Kemba has to throw up an awful shot or take the clock violation.

It's time to face the facts, we're going to have to become an offensive team to be a competitor.

I don't think you've watched Monroe much if you think he just clogs the paint. He has a consistent jumper from 18 feet and he also provides another inside presence when Al needs a break.

I agree that you can't replace MKG with just another offensive player but I disagree with the notion that McRoberts can't be replaced. It's by no accident that when McRoberts has a good game Kemba struggles or when Kemba has a good game McRoberts struggles. Both need the ball in their hands to succeed and unfortunately only one can be the floor general and that is Kemba.

Also eventually we're going to have to sacrifice some defense for offense. You win by putting 100+ points on the board not by limiting the team you're playing against to 90 points per game. If you need an example, just look at the Spurs (however they also have a solid defense). Al has gotten a lot better on the defensive end due to staying home, and if that's what he has to do to be a successful defender then so be it; but we can't continue to put a defense heavy line-up out there and expect to win. Once again you're showing a lack of faith in Cliffford and what has accomplished by getting players to adapt. We also don't need Deng to be able to shoot the three, we just need him to able to take shots. MKG is so afraid to shoot that he doesn't even draw an assignment which makes it tougher for Al to operate in the paint and tougher for Kemba to drive.

Also we obviously watched a different Kemba in college because he shot over 40% from the field EVERY year at UCONN, his shot didn't go away; his help went away. He's literally the only back-court player that can score. The funny part is that he usually knocks down his open shots, he just has to force up so many bad shots because McRoberts is the only other player out there that can consistently hit a three and he's usually on the complete opposite side of the floor from Kemba thus providing no help when it comes to drawing the defense f

Kemba came a long way this year and he proved he can be a facilitator when he dropped 16 dime in a game. The average fan looks at the box score and sees only five assists for Kemba, but what they fail to realize is that Henderson went 5-14 which wiped out what could have been another three assists for Kemba. Watch the games man... Kemba moves the ball, we just don't capitalize.

Finally having McRoberts as your facilitator is not wise because that usually has him passing the ball to Kemba with three seconds on the clock left in which Kemba has to throw up an awful shot or take the clock violation.

It's time to face the facts, we're going to have to become an offensive team to be a competitor.

The main point is the team doesn't have the assets to bring in Deng, Affalo and Monroe. Just getting Affalo would take all of the team's assets. Monroe is a restricted FA and Deng is going to cost 8-10 million a season. Add the fact that McRoberts has a opt in that he's likely to take....

The team just doesn't have what's needed to add all three together, which really means the only option (unless the price goes down for Affalo) is Deng.  Orlando will want 2-3 first for Affalo if rumors from the season are true.... which takes the Hornets out of the running for working out something with Detroit for Monroe. ( since I doubt they wouldn't match any reasonable deal)

I mean unless you want to give Monroe a 14m a year deal similar to what Jefferson gets....he's unlikely to leave Detroit. Affalo is going to want a new contract in the 10-12 m range and Deng is also going to take a 8-10m a year contract....

It just really isn't feasible with whats currently on the roster to get those three done.

As for Big Al's defense, it didn't just magically improve.... He's still slow footed and is covered by MKG..... Look to his numbers in Boston, Utah and Minny for how horrible his defense is when it's not being covered up.

The main point is the team doesn't have the assets to bring in Deng, Affalo and Monroe. Just getting Affalo would take all of the team's assets. Monroe is a restricted FA and Deng is going to cost 8-10 million a season. Add the fact that McRoberts has a opt in that he's likely to take....

The team just doesn't have what's needed to add all three together, which really means the only option (unless the price goes down for Affalo) is Deng. Orlando will want 2-3 first for Affalo if rumors from the season are true.... which takes the Hornets out of the running for working out something with Detroit for Monroe. ( since I doubt they wouldn't match any reasonable deal)

I mean unless you want to give Monroe a 14m a year deal similar to what Jefferson gets....he's unlikely to leave Detroit. Affalo is going to want a new contract in the 10-12 m range and Deng is also going to take a 8-10m a year contract....

It just really isn't feasible with whats currently on the roster to get those three done.

As for Big Al's defense, it didn't just magically improve.... He's still slow footed and is covered by MKG..... Look to his numbers in Boston, Utah and Minny for how horrible his defense is when it's not being covered up.

The hiring of SVG signaled the end of Monroe, I did a little research and apparently he wants him gone. With McBob opting out if his contract (if he does), we need to assess the power forward position first.

If he stays then we need to address the shooting guard position first.

The point being that Afflalo/Stephenson (probably the best shooting guard free agent that we could land) or Monroe/Randolph need to be in a Hornets uniform depending on the situation at hand.

We can also pick up a guy like Ariza who has the ability to start or come off the bench and if we get lucky in the lotto we might able to add a player like Stauskas or Harris... If we don't get lucky, Hood or Hairston would be nice conciliation prizes.

And you're right, Al's defense didn't magically improve, but it did improve. Realistically, all we need him to do is to stay back and guard the paint (pretty much what Hibbert does).

You list all those guys but who did Kemba play with for the most part.... McBob and.... Also don't lump Henderson in with those guys. 35% is okay for your stretch four not for you're starting shooting guard. Your shooting guard shouldn't be shooting under 38% from three.

Is it OK for your PG to shoot 38% from the field and 30% from three?

The excuses for Kemba in this thread are just as I would expect.

Archived