• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My gripe with Kemba

MedellinHeel

Kemba is one of the quickest guys in the league and has a very good handle. With those attributes he should be causing havoc in the half court offense with his penetrating ability. 

Every possession Kemba should be getting into the heart of the defense creating open shots & layups for himself and teammates. Way too often he will settle for open jump shots or tough contested j's / drives. 

Penetration forces the D to help and collapse or else the driver will get a layup / easy floater. Maybe Kemba just doesnt have the vision or is too trigger happy, idk. But regardless this is something he can learn / improve by practicing and watching tape. 

Anyone notice this or feel the same way? 

Yeah I have noticed that and felt that he was much more aggressive in terms of attacking the hoop the previous season. I think that he was probably thinking a little bit too much when attacking instead of just playing. Kemba just loves those pull up mid range jumpers though and I don't think that will ever change.

In order for the slashing game to be truly effective there needs to be people on the perimeter that can actually consistently hit open threes. Josh McRoberts was probably the best three point shooter in our starting lineup this year.... think hard about that for a minute.

Yeah I have noticed that and felt that he was much more aggressive in terms of attacking the hoop the previous season. I think that he was probably thinking a little bit too much when attacking instead of just playing. Kemba just loves those pull up mid range jumpers though and I don't think that will ever change.

You can love anything. It is up to the coach to what you are to do / green light / play call etc. 

Instead of the mid range pull up Kemba needs to attack further MAKING preferably one of the bigs step up leaving his man open under the rim for a layup or dunk. Or making a wing leave his man to help resulting in a wide open 3.

In order for the slashing game to be truly effective there needs to be people on the perimeter that can actually consistently hit open threes. Josh McRoberts was probably the best three point shooter in our starting lineup this year.... think hard about that for a minute.

We had 6 players last year who you had to account for on the perimeter. 5 if you do not include Neal who had a bad year % wise but who we all know is a solid/good shooter. Neal's issue was forcing contested 3's. Leave him wide open and he is money more times than not. 

Our best 3 shooters were Mcribs, CDR, and Toliver. Mcribs being the only one in the starting lineup, however, Hendo shot a respectable 35%. 

So I am not so sure we can use that excuse as much as we all would like. 

Oh I agree but I feel that Kemba is what he is in terms of falling back on his habits.

You can kill those habits quick with sending Kemba to the bench until he realizes that the pull up J is not what we are looking for and that he must learn to go further collapsing the D resulting in a layup, dunk for himself or a teammate. Or wide open 3's for our wings.  

Bottom line is it is the coaches job to get the players playing at the highest level ie shot selection, game plans, bball IQ, positioning, etc. Every player has certain habits good and bad, its up to the coach to get rid of those bad habits and build upon those good habits. 

^^

I disagree. Maybe if you are talking about finishing around the rim after contact but I am not talking about that. 

The idea is to pass the ball when the defender helps leaving his man. If defender doesnt leave his man than Kemba would have a layup or a very close floater. 

Kemba has a good handle, never heard anyone question that. 

We had 6 players last year who you had to account for on the perimeter. 5 if you do not include Neal who had a bad year % wise but who we all know is a solid/good shooter. Neal's issue was forcing contested 3's. Leave him wide open and he is money more times than not.

Our best 3 shooters were Mcribs, CDR, and Toliver. Mcribs being the only one in the starting lineup, however, Hendo shot a respectable 35%.

So I am not so sure we can use that excuse as much as we all would like.

You list all those guys but who did Kemba play with for the most part.... McBob and.... Also don't lump Henderson in with those guys. 35% is okay for your stretch four not for you're starting shooting guard. Your shooting guard shouldn't be shooting under 38% from three.

We need a better option at the two spot and a starting three that can hit a three.

Give me Afflalo and Deng and draft Hairston and Ennis.

If McBob opts out that is a different story since we'll need a starting caliber four (Zeller isn't ready).

I don't understand your point.

If you're in the NBA you shouldn't be left open period, but that doesn't mean you're a great shooter. It's about respecting the player.

Um

Left open = No respect

Not left open = Respect

That is what I am talking about. You have to respect players that shoot 35+% from 3. 

Tons of players you can leave open in the NBA. Bigs is not that bad, but yes I think wings and guards should atleast have to be respected but that sadly isnt the case e.g. MKG. There is a lot more to bball than shooting. 

Um

Left open = No respect

Not left open = Respect

That is what I am talking about. You have to respect players that shoot 35+% from 3.

You respect players regardless of what they shoot. You hardly ever see a player left open in the NBA. When a player is open it's because of a missed assignment or a great play, not because a player decided that they weren't going to guard a player.

Oh and by the way, Henderson didn't even shoot enough there's to be qualified in the ranking of shooting guard 3P%. If you look at all players (including not qualified), he comes in at 55th among shooting guard 3P%.

That's not good lol.

Archived