• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ealy is not a good pass rusher?

Johnson never appeared 'elite' at SC either.

What? Martin was completely one-dimensional. Say what you will about Ealy but he was batting down passes at the line and disrupting the run game.

If Martin was 1 dimensional then so is Ealy. Martin had better stats and had experience on the inside and outside just like Ealy.martin also has better pass rushing moves right now compared to Ealy.

Ealy probably has the best potential out of 2 guys and room to grow.

ITT: People hate on the Wonderlic when they don't understand its purpose.

There's a reason that colleges want you to take the SAT, which covers writing, English, and math, even though you may be going to school to be a PE Teacher. 

I saw him play on TV and thought he was a good player.

I saw him play in person in Atlanta at the SEC Championship Game and thought he was an OUTSTANDING player.  He was pretty much the only player on that Mizzou team that was able to make an impact against Auburn that game.

Better stats doesn't equal dominance. Granted, Ealy wasn't dominant either but Kony was an essential piece to Mizzou's defense and he demonstrated huge upside when he beat Robinson and Matthews on the inside and outside (Top 10 picks).

Martin is viewed as a Point A to Point B pass rusher strictly (3-4 OLB) because he lacks instincts. Martin is also a weak tackler against the run (had way more missed tackles than Ealy). He's the superior athlete between the two but the better player is Ealy.

Mizzuo DL was 10x the one UNC had. that means he faced more attention, and got the main focus every week and still had a dominated season. you can try to discount what Martin did, but he put up 82 tackles, 21. 5 TFL,and 11.5 sacks, while being the only DL threat on that team.

Martin is the better athlete and can play some 3 tech, and consider he is the longer athlete, he can pack on some more muscle and max out easily around 285-300 and not lose anything. i think he will be a 5 tech in Zona, in line with Campbell.

Ok of all the picks I'm sure this is the least important from a starter perspective. IMHO Benjamin is the one we can't afford to bust. We need to build our area of extreme weakness.

That's very different than maintaining an area of extreme strength.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

true but if he doesn't pan out a lot of people will look back at that pick instead of the KB pick...............everyone knows Kb is either boom or bust

true but if he doesn't pan out a lot of people will look back at that pick instead of the KB pick...............everyone knows Kb is either boom or bust

Let's hope boom!

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I was looking up how strongside DE weak at passing rushing but strong against the run is a good asset and came across this:

"Some teams like the Seattle Seahawks, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders use an alternative sort of the 4–3 defense. They like to use a big, strong, 290+ strongside defensive end to stop the run on their base formation, and on passing downs they kick (him) inside at defensive tackle"

compare to what Rotoworld wrote about Ealy:

"It's been rumored that some teams would like Ealy to bulk up to around 290 pounds. ... Some teams want Ealy to add 15 pounds and play DT, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. It makes sense, as Ealy "wins" from the inside ... Ealy was actually a more effective interior rusher at Mizzou, and drew a pre-draft comparison to Seahawks star DE/DT Michael Bennett from NFL Films' Greg Cosell... Greg Cosell said that Ealy fits the NFL's current trend of finding base DEs that can shift inside on pass-rushing downs, Cosell mentioned Seattle's Michael Bennett as an example ... Ross Tucker commented that these players "save a roster spot" by their capability of performing two functions for the price of one."

Sounds a little bit like a guy Gettleman is very familiar with from his days with the NY Giants - Justin Tuck.

Tuck is another good comparison. Here are some more people that compare Kony to Bennett and Tuck...

scouting report on Ealy:

"Kony Ealy is an interesting pass rusher to me as he’s not an explosive guy (note his poor relative scores in the Vertical & Broad Jumps, as well as the 10-yd split, and the 20-yd shuttle), and he doesn't play with a great deal of power either.

On passing downs, Ealy would drop down into a 3-technique alignment (lined up between the OT and OG, facing the OG's shoulder) to rush vs an OG. In this situation he does have a quickness and athleticism advantage, and he uses it to get pressure very effectively in these situations.

Another place he is effective is when the Mizzou scheme asks him to slant inside into the B-gap (between the OG and OT) from his defensive end alignment where he is able to be successful getting after the QB. ... in Mizzou’s scheme Ealy was often asked to slant inside to the B-gap (between the OG and OT), and this is where you see him make plays against the run as well. Because their defensive front was always moving, I didn't see many times where he was forced to take on a double teams or heads up blocks at the point of attack

I wish I could believe that he had a much higher ceiling as an edge player than I do, because that would put him in heavy consideration for me as a first round pick, however it seems as though he is basically tapped out as an athlete and I don’t know if that athleticism is enough to beat NFL tackles as consistently as I would want my first round DE to do. If I take a DE that early, I want him to be a 3-down edge rusher, not a guy I have to move inside to get pressure. ... if the board gets wiped out and they can’t trade down, a team may take Ealy and know they got a guy who can be productive even if he’s not great.

Pro Comparison: Michael Bennett, DE, Seattle Seahawks (2009 UDFA)"

Greg Cosell on Ealy:

"I wouldn't necessarily call him explosive, he'll need work to become a true pass rusher. .. I think that Ealy is probably similar to (Bennett) in the way that he'd be utilized in the NFL. A defensive end in the base 4-3 front, who probably moves inside to defensive tackle in the nickel four-man front, or the dime four-man front," Cosell told Midday 180 Radio. "I think that's the kind of player he is."

Cowboys blog, APRIL 24, 2014

"Many have labeled (Ealy) as stiff and not overly athletic. And if the Cowboys do decide to select Ealy, the talking heads on your television set will be out in full-force, saying that the Cowboys reached for a need. Mel Kiper Jr of ESPN currently has Ealy as a third or fourth round pick. But I believe Ealy is a much better player than the national media has given him credit for and I can see why the Cowboys are interested ... I don’t believe Ealy is an outstanding athlete ... He just doesn’t have the uber-quickness or elite bend to be a premier pass rusher in the NFL. ... But Ealy (reminds me of) Justin Tuck and Michael Bennett, both of whom received big contracts this spring. And those are the best comparisons for Kony Ealy:

Kony-Ealy.jpg

let’s dive into the film to show why I really like what Ealy provides as an interior rusher in the nickel package

I present to you a quick GIF of Justin Tuck when he was with the New York Giants:

tucksack1.gif

The Giants used to call this defensive line grouping their NASCAR unit. ... Seattle mirrored this in 2013 with DE Michael Bennett playing inside on passing downs

let’s take a look at how Kony Ealy won from inside in 2013:

Kony-Ealy-GIF-1.gif

with the quickness of a defensive end, he can beat guards in one-on-one situations with ease. Ealy didn’t come up with the sack, but the pressure forced an errant throw. Below I show a play where he does wind up getting the sack:

Kony-Ealy-GIF-3.gif

Ealy beats the guard off the snap and the quarterback has no chance. Guards aren’t used to (facing a DE). Kony Ealy will never be DeMarcus Ware . Not many are. And Ealy ISN’T the replacement for Ware, but what he can do is rusher the passer (from the inside) and wreak havoc on passing downs."

I think Kony Ealy is similar to Charles Johnson coming out. Both came out early, could have been higher draft picks if they stayed an extra year in college. Both not great pass rushers but both had the skills and athleticism. Both good against the run though and both could be moved inside and generate a pass rush. Ealy just needs time to develope like Charles Johnson needed. 

CJ was pretty much a stud off the bat.  We didn't rotate lineman as often with Fox (especially due to Peppers, who consistently had one of the highest snap counts in the league every year).  CJ's rookie year I understand keeping him as a backup.  Year 2 though he was much better than Brayton though and should have started.  He still got 6 sacks in a limited rotational role.

Then the world fell apart because Peppers left and we got nothing out of it and we weren't going to find a productive DE for another 4 years. [/sarcasm]

Archived