• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ealy is not a good pass rusher?

I've read multiple sources calling him overrated and full of himself.

IMO, these two are mutually exclusive.  If I'm evaluating a prospect, his opinion of himself has no bearing on how I view him.  There's no such thing as overrated or underrated, all I care about is how I view him.  In terms of a prospect's attitude, I want a guy who is confident but who is also willing to be coached.

Sounds to me like he didn't kowtow to some scouts and they got butthurt.

I was looking up how strongside DE weak at passing rushing but strong against the run is a good asset and came across this:

"Some teams like the Seattle Seahawks, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders use an alternative sort of the 4–3 defense. They like to use a big, strong, 290+ strongside defensive end to stop the run on their base formation, and on passing downs they kick (him) inside at defensive tackle"

compare to what Rotoworld wrote about Ealy:

"It's been rumored that some teams would like Ealy to bulk up to around 290 pounds. ... Some teams want Ealy to add 15 pounds and play DT, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. It makes sense, as Ealy "wins" from the inside ... Ealy was actually a more effective interior rusher at Mizzou, and drew a pre-draft comparison to Seahawks star DE/DT Michael Bennett from NFL Films' Greg Cosell... Greg Cosell said that Ealy fits the NFL's current trend of finding base DEs that can shift inside on pass-rushing downs, Cosell mentioned Seattle's Michael Bennett as an example ... Ross Tucker commented that these players "save a roster spot" by their capability of performing two functions for the price of one."

Sounds a little bit like a guy Gettleman is very familiar with from his days with the NY Giants - Justin Tuck.

I can't believe there are people who think that a potential stud DE won't reach his stud potential under Rivera and Washington and McDermott.

Greg Hardy had 3 and 4 sack seasons before Rivera sculpted him into a kraken.

Sorry we didn't draft your pet favorite, there will be plenty of for you on the Ealy bandwagon in 2 seasons when you're pretending you loved him all along.

I can't believe there are people who think that a potential stud DE won't reach his stud potential under Rivera and Washington and McDermott.

Greg Hardy had 3 and 4 sack seasons before Rivera sculpted him into a kraken.

Sorry we didn't draft your pet favorite, there will be plenty of for you on the Ealy bandwagon in 2 seasons when you're pretending you loved him all along.

Seems like you're just looking for a reason to be butthurt.  Other than the TS, most of the posts in this thread have been pretty positive.

for the sake of the team lets hope he's a beast rusher..............the one pick IMO that must not backfire

Ok of all the picks I'm sure this is the least important from a starter perspective. IMHO Benjamin is the one we can't afford to bust. We need to build our area of extreme weakness.

That's very different than maintaining an area of extreme strength.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived