• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ealy is not a good pass rusher?

The wonderlic is based on a lot of math questions which can go up or down depending on how much you studied in school. I don't think it's an accurate measure of intelligence because obviously if you study more you could increase your wonderlic. 

I've read multiple sources calling him overrated and full of himself. Lots of players are full of themselves, that doesn't bother me if he puts in the work. If he thinks he's already arrived it could be an issue. From what I've read he is a 1st round athlete but needs tons of work on his handfighting and pass rush moves.

The feeling I got from Gettleman is he can be developed. Every player has flaws and Gettleman felt like his could be worked on. Certain limitations are genetic, you can't make a slow man fast. But in Ealy's case his flaws are coachable.

I can cherry pick 3 scouts criticizing every player in the history of the draft.

I need to not come onto the Huddle next year during the draft. It's fun (ish) leading up to it to speculate on players, but once it's here and everyone crawls out of the woodwork to pour their butt-tears all over the board it's unreadable for weeks.

4.92 40 is concerning, but he had a 1.72 10 yard split.  To put that in perspective, Robert Quinn had a 1.69, JJ Watt had a 1.71.  Clowney's 10 yard split was a 1.59.  What this says is that Ealy doesn't have elite top end speed, but his initial burst is pretty damn good.  For a DE, initial burst is extremely important while top end spend rarely enters the equation.  If your DE is running 40 yards in a straight line, then either something really good happened or something really bad happened.  Either way, it doesn't come into play very often.

What jumps out to me about Ealy is his 3 cone.  He hit a 6.83 in the 3 cone.  To put that in perspective, LeSean McCoy is one of the shiftiest RBs in the NFL and his 3 cone was a 6.82. 

For fugs sake stop making so much sense. It's making people around here grow with knowledge of the game. We don't want that.

I have my concerns with Ealy (all based on technique, none on character or skill or really even intangibles... I just think he needs to get stronger) but at the end of the day I know that kid is going to work hard to provide for his sister.

That video that was posted earlier in another thread was gut-wrenching and it's impossible to not pull for him

I was looking up how strongside DE weak at passing rushing but strong against the run is a good asset and came across this:

"Some teams like the Seattle Seahawks, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders use an alternative sort of the 4–3 defense. They like to use a big, strong, 290+ strongside defensive end to stop the run on their base formation, and on passing downs they kick (him) inside at defensive tackle"

compare to what Rotoworld wrote about Ealy:

"It's been rumored that some teams would like Ealy to bulk up to around 290 pounds. ... Some teams want Ealy to add 15 pounds and play DT, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. It makes sense, as Ealy "wins" from the inside ... Ealy was actually a more effective interior rusher at Mizzou, and drew a pre-draft comparison to Seahawks star DE/DT Michael Bennett from NFL Films' Greg Cosell... Greg Cosell said that Ealy fits the NFL's current trend of finding base DEs that can shift inside on pass-rushing downs, Cosell mentioned Seattle's Michael Bennett as an example ... Ross Tucker commented that these players "save a roster spot" by their capability of performing two functions for the price of one."

Archived