• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patternus Interruptus

frash.exe

Your saying the same coaching staff that got the Panther's to a couple of NFC championships games as well as a SB are responsible for their "losing" record the following year? I know it's popular to blame Trgo for everything that has ever gone wrong with the Panther's but that's really stretching it. If you really want to know what caused the losing record, just look at the strength of schedule and injuries.

I never said it definitely was the problem, I only said it could very well likely be that, and secondly, I didn't pin the entire team's woes on him solely, there were plenty of personnel that didn't get the job done, whether player or coach. And last year there were plenty of injuries. Our offensive linemen missed 13 games between the five of them. Beason played half the season with a bad shoulder. Harris also had offseason shoulder surgery as well so he was also hurt.

last offseason (2008) went a long way to improve the team, for example, dramatically moving our offensive line around to fit the power running scheme we wanted. We moved Wharton to guard, Gross to LT, put the rookie Otah in at RT, started Kalil at center, and signed Keydrick Vincent, who previously blocked for a 15-1 Steelers team. Gone were Hartwig and Wahle. This year, the same five guys are starting in the same five spots. Has that ever happened in the Fox era?

Pretty much, every year the Panther's have a winning season, they are scheduled against the weak NFC conference and have few injuries. When they have a losing season, they are scheduled against a stronger NFC division and seem to have an abundance of major injuries to key players. It's that simple.

How "weak" was our own division? How "uncompetitive" was the NFC North? The Vikings were pretty tough, and the Bears went 9-7. The Cardinals we played were the same Cards that went to the superbowl so I don't get where you think we had a cake walk schedule.

If you really must believe the inconsistency is from the coaching staff, than it would have to be because of John Fox - that I might could agree with.

And I've never ruled that out.

Your saying the same coaching staff that got the Panther's to a couple of NFC championships games as well as a SB are responsible for their "losing" record the following year? I know it's popular to blame Trgo for everything that has ever gone wrong with the Panther's but that's really stretching it. If you really want to know what caused the losing record, just look at the strength of schedule and injuries.

Pretty much, every year the Panther's have a winning season, they are scheduled against the weak NFC conference and have few injuries. When they have a losing season, they are scheduled against a stronger NFC division and seem to have an abundance of major injuries to key players. It's that simple.

If you really must believe the inconsistency is from the coaching staff, than it would have to be because of John Fox - that I might could agree with.

Nailed it! The reason why we never have back to back winning seasons is because John Fox can only handle the cup cake teams. Thats why he has a 15-33 record playing against teams that are above .500 in the regular season. People can blame Trgo all they want but the blame starts right at the top.

Any good coach can over come injuries. Great ones find ways when there are none just like last year with NE. Tell the truth did anyone see Matt Cassel doing as well as he did?

Trgo never had answers for any problems we had and I am hoping Meeks dose.

Your using NE as an example where everyone gives credit to Belichick ( rightfully so ) but with the Panthers you 'blame" Trgo. Why not follow the same standards and blame Fox?

We, the Panthers, broke the myth last year that the last team in the NFC South is always first the next year. Let's break another one and have back-to-back winning seasons. No reason to stop now. :gnorsi:

Good Post Raging Bull.

Mark it down. The curse will be broken.

I find it funny how they (HATERS) take the every other year approach and fling it around to suite their argument, But not one of them mentioned the fact that Carolina broke the worst to first trend last year.

Go Panthers

Well, a HATER I ain't, that's for sure. :P So you still have the {technical} truth on your side. But I nailed it in the 7th post of this thread. :yesnod: So hopefully everyone who read the thread has thought about it at least. Thought the sentences were short enough. Sorry. Gosh.

People (they ---> :conehead:) can stop flinging things now. :biggrinjester:

:cheers2:

Good Post Raging Bull.

Mark it down. The curse will be broken.

I find it funny how they (HATERS) take the every other year approach and fling it around to suite their argument, But not one of them mentioned the fact that Carolina broke the worst to first trend last year.

Go Panthers

Honestly, that made no sense whatsoever. So we are going to have a winning season despite having a tough schedule all because the last place team in the division in 07 didnt win the division last year? :rolleyes:

Well, a HATER I ain't, that's for sure. :P So you still have the {technical} truth on your side. But I nailed it in the 7th post of this thread. :yesnod: So hopefully everyone who read the thread has thought about it at least. Thought the sentences were short enough. Sorry. Gosh.

People (they ---> :conehead:) can stop flinging things now. :biggrinjester:

:cheers2:

You forget that many people tend to just post their opinion in a thread without reading a thing outside of maybe a few posts ;)

How "weak" was our own division? How "uncompetitive" was the NFC North? The Vikings were pretty tough, and the Bears went 9-7. The Cardinals we played were the same Cards that went to the superbowl so I don't get where you think we had a cake walk schedule.

The Saints were 8-8, Tampa was 9-7 and Atlanta was 11-5 because of a few lucky bounces (sorry but I was never sold on them being that good). So I would say the division was a little competitive but nothing out of the ordinary.

We actually lost to the Vikings and only beat the Bears because of a couple of timely fumbles (not trying to beat the panthers up but they didn't win that day because they were the better team - they just got more lucky bounces). We also had the privilege of playing the Kansas City the Lions, Oakland (both who almost lost to) and Denver. Those teams had a combined record of 15-49.

Looks like a pretty pedestrian schedule to me.

Agree with your general premise that we aren't destined to be 7-9 and that we have the most talent that I can remember on a Fox coached team.

it is a tough call. I still might give a slight edge right now to the 03 team.....that front 7 was pretty dang tough on D, plus the offense seemed a little more balanced.

The Saints were 8-8, Tampa was 9-7 and Atlanta was 11-5 because of a few lucky bounces (sorry but I was never sold on them being that good). So I would say the division was a little competitive but nothing out of the ordinary.

We actually lost to the Vikings and only beat the Bears because of a couple of timely fumbles (not trying to beat the panthers up but they didn't win that day because they were the better team - they just got more lucky bounces). We also had the privilege of playing the Kansas City the Lions, Oakland (both who almost lost to) and Denver. Those teams had a combined record of 15-49.

Looks like a pretty pedestrian schedule to me.

I wont argue with you about the second part. But nothing out of the ordinary? Wasn't the collective NFC South record the SECOND highest winning % of all time, behind the NFC East the same year (damn ties!)? And not to mention the best home winning percentage of all time. I believe those were the stats, hopefully someone who knows their stats better than me can confirm/correct this.

We had the 20th "toughest" schedule in the league last year. Anyone who wants to ignore this fact go ahead and do so. But it was the determining factor in going 12-4 last year.

what are you basing this off of? Are you comparing our SOS rankings from opponents this year with our opponents last year, based solely on their 2008 records? There is no possible way every single one of those 16 teams will match their 2008 records this season.

Archived