• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meet with Ryan Shazier

We can't use the RB comparison though because LB's are all on the field at the same time.

He'll will only play pass rushing downs/plays. And that will mean removing Davis or Klein from the game.

Now before people start putting words in my mouth, I do think the panthers could use another LB - just not with our 1st round pick; ESPECIALLY when there could be guys sitting there that could help us fill a void like OL,CB,S, WR, etc

keep strengths strong. ignore weak spots that just keep getting weaker.

yay.

that is what Gettleman said:

"I’m going to tell you right now don’t write that in the draft “the Panthers are taking this, this and this.” I promise you, we’re going to take the best player on the board. There’s an old saying guys, “keep your strengths strong.”"

Didn't a lot of us have exact same complaint when we picked Kuechly though? (I know I did)

We do have seven picks, as well as other options down the road. Taking BPA may not be popular at the time but most often a year or two down the road you find yourself saying "yeah, that was the right call".

beason was hurt and it was an injury he likely wasn't ever going to be close to 100% from. it was more of a need than this. i don't think our team was anywhere near as weakened as it is now. right now all we have as far as a legit starter on the OL is kalil. the rest would be lucky to be second stringers on many teams.

right now we have no real threat of a pass catcher.

right now we have a bad secondary.

but right now we have a stacked front seven. so we add to it?

if we do this, i have very oittle faith that gettleman will take any serious measure to improve the OL or make significant additions to the WR corps or secondary and i don't think we improve over last year.

i'm not a fan of BPA if you aren't going to do anything to improve your weak spots or if you make yourself a slave to the philosophy. we go straight BPA in the rounds that actually matter and you can end up with more LBs, DTs, and DEs and left with the scrubs you have already on your roster at OL, WR, and in the secondary.

"I’m going to tell you right now don’t write that in the draft “the Panthers are taking this, this and this.” I promise you, we’re going to take the best player on the board. There’s an old saying guys, “keep your strengths strong.”"

What if Blake Bortles or Bishop Sankey is on the board when the panthers pick and have them as BPA? 

Ehhhh, really reaching with that comparison. Totally different situations.

Not really.

We had Jon Beason, who at the time everyone regarded just as highly as we do Luke now.  James Anderson and Thomas Davis had both signed five year contracts a year before so the general expectation was our LB corps was set as long as Davis stayed healthy (same as now).

There were definitely bigger needs at defensive tackle, and the offensive line and receiver corps weren't exactly in great shape then, either.  Remember this is only two years ago.

When the announcement was made, plenty of people raged about it.  Nobody's complaining now.

i'm still waiting to see what you do with your weak spots. so far he's done nothing to help the OL. that's kind of important, don't you think? or will adding a future stud like this LB be enough to counter the weakened OL we find ourselves with? will it be enough to make up for the fact that the offense can't score more than 20 in a game?

beason was hurt and it was an injury he likely wasn't ever going to be close to 100% from. it was more of a need than this. i don't think our team was anywhere near as weakened as it is now. right now all we have as far as a legit starter on the OL is kalil. the rest would be lucky to be second stringers on many teams.

right now we have no real threat of a pass catcher.

right now we have a bad secondary.

but right now we have a stacked front seven. so we add to it?

if we do this, i have very oittle faith that gettleman will take any serious measure to improve the OL or make significant additions to the WR corps or secondary and i don't think we improve over last year.

i'm not a fan of BPA if you aren't going to do anything to improve your weak spots or if you make yourself a slave to the philosophy. we go straight BPA in the rounds that actually matter and you can end up with more LBs, DTs, and DEs and left with the scrubs you have already on your roster at OL, WR, and in the secondary.

We didn't know that with Beason at the time.  Heck, He began 2012 as the starter at Mike LB.

Our OL at the time wasn't that different than it is now (with the exception of Gross, who was aging).

We didn't have much at receiver then either other than an aging Smitty.

Secondary wasn't great then either and we had pretty much nothing in the middle of the DL.

Believe me, I get the issues with BPA, but the alternative is reaching for need and that's just not a good solution either.

Not really.

We had Jon Beason, who at the time everyone regarded just as highly as we do Luke now.  James Anderson and Thomas Davis had both signed five year contracts a year before so the general expectation was our LB corps was set as long as Davis stayed healthy (same as now).

There were definitely bigger needs at defensive tackle, and the offensive line and receiver corps weren't exactly in great shape then, either.  Remember this is only two years ago.

When the announcement was made, plenty of people raged about it.  Nobody's complaining now.

Not really?

Both Beason and Davis were coming off serious injuries from which we had no idea if they would ever completely return to 100%. We now have a DROY, DPOY MLB in Luke, a healthy Thomas Davis, Chase Blackburn, and an up and coming A.J. Klein.

i'm still waiting to see what you do with your weak spots. so far he's done nothing to help the OL. that's kind of important, don't you think? or will adding a future stud like this LB be enough to counter the weakened OL we find ourselves with? will it be enough to make up for the fact that the offense can't score more than 20 in a game?

I'm interested to hear who you would take over Shazier provided he legitimately is BPA. Lets say Lewan doesn't magically drop and Moses isn't their either. Do you take a chance on Kuandjio's knees, a projected 2nd round OL or go with a prospect in Shazier who looks to be a sure fire stud. Lets say Beckham and Cooks are off the board as well, Ebron goes 15-20, and all you are left with in terms of 1st round WR talent is KB who has his questions or Marquise Lee with his case of the dropsies. Do you reach for a second round OL/WR prospect or take the sure fire LB?

We didn't know that with Beason at the time. Heck, He began 2012 as the starter at Mike LB.

Our OL at the time wasn't that different than it is now (with the exception of Gross, who was aging).

We didn't have much at receiver then either other than an aging Smitty.

Secondary wasn't great then either and we had pretty much nothing in the middle of the DL.

Believe me, I get the issues with BPA, but the alternative is reaching for need and that's just not a good solution either.

the OL was in bad shape then. it's worse now.

the WR corps was in bad shape. it's worse now.

the secondary still sucks.

and when people say reaching for a need, i dont think the disparity in talent is that great when we're talking about who is going to be available at 28. it all depends on how serious you are about fixing what needs fixing.

Archived