• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meet with Ryan Shazier

I wonder how many of yall watched Ohio State football regularly? I have to. My GF is an alumni. I don't remember hearing much about him last season.

Shazier was a First Team All-American (AP , USAT, ESPN, SI, Athlon), First Team All-Big Ten (both coaches and media) and ranked third nationally in tackles-for-loss (22.5) and he ranked second nationally in solo tackles with 101 (had 143 total)

this is what College Football News wrote:

"Best defensive player: Junior LB Ryan Shazier.... Star of the defense: Junior LB Ryan Shazier... Best pro prospect: Shazier... The Buckeye playmaker did everything for the defense ... All over the field all the time, he was tremendous in pass coverage ... and he was a big pass rusher when he needed to be. ... Shazier is a special linebacker ... a superstar ... getting all over the field doing a little bit of everything. Not just great against the run and not just fantastic at flying into the backfield, he uses his defensive back athleticism to come up with big plays against the pass ... With unlimited range, he’s a guided missile ... Shazier is a superstar to work everything around"

- David was undersized.

- Kuechly was from Boston College. They didn't play anybody either.

Here's what we know about Shazier:

• He's an explosive blitzer

• One of the best (if not, the best) coverage LBs in the draft

• He's a very good tackler, especially in the open field

• Very athletic (ran a 4.37 at his Pro Day)

• Durable

• His Football IQ and Instincts are above average

Good blitzer, tackler, and cover LB, fast, smart, durable--Hell no!! I want a mediocre OT!!

LB, DE, CB, and S are bigger needs than people realize.

Shazier was a First Team All-American (AP , USAT, ESPN, SI, Athlon), First Team All-Big Ten (both coaches and media) and ranked third nationally in tackles-for-loss (22.5) and he ranked second nationally in solo tackles with 101 (had 143 total)

this is what College Football News wrote:

"Best defensive player: Junior LB Ryan Shazier.... Star of the defense: Junior LB Ryan Shazier... Best pro prospect: Shazier... The Buckeye playmaker did everything for the defense ... All over the field all the time, he was tremendous in pass coverage ... and he was a big pass rusher when he needed to be. ... Shazier is a special linebacker ... a superstar ... getting all over the field doing a little bit of everything. Not just great against the run and not just fantastic at flying into the backfield, he uses his defensive back athleticism to come up with big plays against the pass ... With unlimited range, he’s a guided missile ... Shazier is a superstar to work everything around"

Again, he didn't play anybody and was basically the centerpiece of a d consisting of very highly touted college recruits and potential NFL players. Maybe our NFL coach of the year can convert him to a WR since he's so fast.

I guess I could learn to like the pick. Call me crazy, but I'd also like some help for our QB.

Honestly I have to say we have some serious FO cheerleaders here trying to convince themselves though. It's hard to watch.

Holy poo, you really don't get it.

Then again, I'm positive you're one of those idiots who believe the hype about The SEC being THEE conference for studs despite a good number of superstars of today's NFL are from The PAC conference.

Again, who did Boston College play against? Who did Utah play against? Who did Fresno State play against?

I'm an ACC guy. The SEC is the minor leagues of the NFL. The competition is second to none. The league did suffer a down year though last season and I think that many of the elite SEC players (particularly on D) have already hit their ceiling or aren't far from it. Not much room to grow. It's similar to why I don't want Kelvin Benjamin. Good player on a team of good/elite players. He's 23-24. Not much room to grow and develop. Just my .02. 

Comparing LK to Shazier is pretty ignorant IMHO. Keek was the NDPOY in college and Shazier wasn't even invited to the dinner. 

Who says we are? Seferian-Jenkins, Enunwa, Moncrief, Lyerla, Richardson, Washington, Coleman, Landry, etc will all still be there at 60.

Gotta D/A with you on a lot these guys too. If we pass on a player like Dennard, Moses, Ebron, Cooks, etc to take a LB that is only going to play on pass rushing downs to draft one of these other guys in the 2nd...especially a TE with a cocaine problem...I don't think that's very smart from Dollar Tree Dave. But then again I wasn't too thrilled with the draft picks LY after the Star pick. 

Archived