• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meet with Ryan Shazier

I can almost guarantee that Shazier won't be far and away better than any pick we can make at a need unless the first 15 teams pick exclusively from OT, WR, CB.

This team needs another first round linebacker like captain munnerlyn needs shorter legs

here's the thing, i totally disagree that you would be sacrificing "a lot" by passing up on shazier for one of the available options at LT, esp. i regards to overall impact on the team.

And that's your take.

If the Panthers evaluation is that it is sacrificing a lot, what would you suggest they do?

people are making it sound like the seperation in talent is as much as it is between keek and bell. the reach would be miniscule, and the positiv impact an upgrade like that would have on the OL and by that token, the team as a whole would be enough to compensate for any supposed loss in talent.

And that's your take.

If the Panthers evaluation is that it is sacrificing a lot, what would you suggest they do?

look at the next area of actual need and find the best prospect there.

fix what needs fixing with the best available options.

look at the next area of actual need and find the best prospect there.

fix what needs fixing with the best available options.

Sorry dude.  That's still reaching for need.

You and I aren't gonna agree on this one.

Sorry dude. That's still reaching for need.

You and I aren't gonna agree on this one.

what if it isn't much of a supposed reach? is no reaching allowed? c'mon.there's a limit to which every philosophy, no matter how sound it is, reaches it's limit on actually being able to help.

what if it isn't much of a supposed reach? is no reaching allowed? c'mon.there's a limit to which every philosophy, no matter how sound it is, reaches it's limit on actually being able to help.

As I understand it, they'll have three or four guys rated around the same (i.e. worth the pick or not worth the pick) and they'll choose from among those they believe are worth it who's the best.  Most likely the guy they have highest rated on the board.

Basically, they won't believe the guy they pick is a reach.  If they did, they wouldn't take him.

We all should be willing to give DMan the benefit of the doubt. It's his expertise. But tell you one thing...I will be bumping threads like these should we go defense, and then can not score 10 points a game.

Because you know the exact same people talking about how this would be a great pick, will be the first to complain when we fail to throw for 300 yards and put up 30 points.

Like I said above, certain special positions won't be looked at (quarterback, punter, kicker) and others (like fullback) aren't generally considered high enough value to be BPA in the first round.

Probably because you've been assuming that for months and you'll probably say it regardless of who we take.

Or I don't buy the company line everything we say is right like you do...but to each their own.

only 2??? we need 2 WRs... a LT and a RT. RG is also a huge question mark. and with one old RB and one who hasnt stayed healthy in two seasons, RB is also a question mark. our D  is leaps and bounds in better shape than the O...

I think most people would agree with you and you are by no means wrong, but looking at this from the GM's point of view, let me challenge your statements:

1. LT, RT--we are not really in a position to get one that will be better than someone on the roster as a rookie.  So, draft a RT.  If you can minimize your weak areas, you can use TEs, FBs, and RBs to help the LT spot--as long as it is your OL's only weakness.  Don;t get me wrong, I would love a LT and a RT, but I think we get 1 in 2014, and maybe the other emerges from the roster (Chandler, Williams, Bond, or even Bell).  If not, we get another in 2015.

2.  RG--we are going to throw bodies at the position in the panther tradition of finding a RG.  Kugbila is the "draft pick" for the position (Gettlemen called him a 2014 draft pick) and we have Bond, Williams, Chandler, Scott--I think we are covered there.

3. RB--They still have Barner and Tolbert, but RB could be a luxury pick (BPA) late.

4. WR--I, like you, think we will grab 2.  However, we have Lafell's replacement in Cotchery, Avant can play, and Underwood is a younger and bigger Ginn.  They don't want to bury McNutt and King, having mentioned them too many times for me to think they are just blowing smoke.  We need 1 WR--a game changer.  Do we need the second WR more than a backup FS?  a CB?  a DE?  an  OLB?  Debatable.

Remember, Gettlemen and the head coach wear defensive-tinted goggles.  So does the NFL.  A top WR and a RT might be all we do--a bit extreme but possible. 

Archived